GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,468
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, dizzycmaarleyy5
» Online Users: 1,460
1 members and 1,459 guests
MethrenLusia

Old 05-25-2004, 01:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Proposal stories

Last edited by WCUgirl; 11-21-2014 at 10:37 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-25-2004, 02:27 PM
GreekChat Member

all I gotta say is, F'in PIMP!!! That is a baaaaaaad ass story.

sorry, I haven't done and proposing yet. however I could make up a story if you want
Old 05-25-2004, 02:53 PM
Ginger

I copied this direct from my journal, so sorry to those of you who've read this word for word before!

The morning of our 1 year anniversary, we left Milwaukee to go spend the weekend in Chicago, because I'd never been there. I could already tell it was going to be a good day, I just had a feeling. Before we left, I gave him his anniversary present... a small scrapbook type thing that I made for him, with pictures and movie stubs and just little stuff I'd collected from our 1st year of dating. He loved it! I was so glad... I was afraid he'd think it was dorky, or that it wouldn't be "enough". But he said it was perfect He told me I couldn't have my anniversary present yet, but that we'd be picking it up on the way.

We headed out of town, but took a different route. He stopped in front of a flower shop, and ran inside to bring me back out a dozen roses He said there was one for every wonderful month we've had together. He kept wanting me to look at the roses and pick out which one was my favourite. I got some ideas of which ones I liked best, but I said I wanted to wait until we got to the hotel and I could unwrap them. Holding onto them in the car was hard enough with them wrapped up. We got to Chicago and I went to put the flowers in the water right away, and unwrapped the bottom so I could make sure all the stems got into the water. I counted them to make sure they were all in the water... and only got 11. So I tried again... and this time I found a 12th (smaller) stem way up high in the paper. We sat back and talked for a while, and Al was looking at the flowers, when he said - "Wait a minute... I only see 11". Sure enough, we counted, and there were 2 of each colour, but only 1 red one. The 12th stem I'd found was from some of the greenery that came with it. He apologized and apologized and said he'd get me a 12th rose some time that night. I said it was okay, I didn't mind, I thought they were beautiful and didn't care if there were 11 or 12. But he promised he'd find me another rose.

We went to go see the Blue Man Group (very cool) and when we got back to the hotel, it was probably about 9:00, and I really wanted something to eat and to drink. We were going to walk across the street to the sub/donut place we'd gotten dinner from, but we were just laying on the bed for a while before we decided to go. He asked me if there was anything he could do to make this night more perfect for me. I said no and asked if I could do anything for him, but he brought it back to me and asked me several times if there was anything he could do. I could tell he wasn't going to let me not give an answer, so I said jokingly "Well, if you could pull out my grandmothers engagement ring...", knowing full well that we weren't going to pick it up until my Mom's birthday next month.

He got out of bed, and said "That's a tall order... but I can give you your 12th rose.". He reached behind the TV shelf, and pulled out a ceramic red rose in a vase. I thought it was sweet, and figured he must have snuck off and got it at some point during the night from the gift shop or something, but couldn't think of any significant lengths of time that I wasn't with him. For the split second of time while I was thinking this, he was walking back to where I was sitting on the bed, and he got down on one knee. He opened the top of the rose (it had a hinged top that I didn't see), and inside was my grandmother's engagement ring. He asked if I would marry him, and I nodded and squeaked yes (I started crying as soon as he got down on one knee). We hugged and hugged for the longest time, and finally I stopped crying long enough to actually say "Yes" and have him put the ring on my finger.

Last edited by Ginger; 05-25-2004 at 02:57 PM.
Old 05-25-2004, 06:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
OMG Ginger your story just made me cry!!! I can't wait till I get to tell a story of my own.

KLTC
Old 05-25-2004, 06:13 PM
GreekChat Member

It was new years eve and I had been sick for 3 days. We had spent every New Years that I canr emember with my Best Friend so I wasn't about to not do it this year. We needed to go to the store to get some food to make for dinner. As we were driving towards the store he took a turn and headed towards campus. When we got there he said he wanted to go for a walk through campus with me because he hadn't seen me in a couple of days. It was raining, it was cold, and I felt like crap. I didn't want to get out of the car and pitch a mighty good fit. Finally he got snipy and told me to deal with it. As we walked along campus a pretended that he triped and when I looked back at him to see if he was ok he was on his knee on the ground. I was still thinking that he had fallen and was trying to help him up, but he was trying to proposal.
We now laugh about it but at the time he thought I was going to say NO because I was trying to get him off the ground. OOPS.
Old 05-25-2004, 09:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlethiaSi
awwww

well- another one of my fave stories from my parents is when my mom said to my dad "if you asked me to marry you, i'd say yes" and my dad replied... "do ya wanna?" lol
Old 05-26-2004, 03:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to erniegurl00 Send a message via Yahoo to erniegurl00
Quote:
Originally posted by AlethiaSi
awwww

well- another one of my fave stories from my parents is when my mom said to my dad "if you asked me to marry you, i'd say yes" and my dad replied... "do ya wanna?" lol
This just reminded me of what my dad said, which was "So, do you want to make this official?" I guess Mom had to force him down on a knee!
Old 05-26-2004, 11:23 AM
GreekChat Member

I had posted this story on another thread, so here it is!

"My husband was visiting me in Buffalo in January between semesters in law school (now THAT is true love!). We went out to a very romantic dinner and ate by the fireplace. He looked so nervous, but I didn't know why. (I was sure he was going to pop the question over Spring Break, when I was going to visit him in L.A.)

Instead of eating dessert, he suggested that we grab some Ben and Jerry's, go home and watch the Golden Globe awards. He was working for Dreamworks at the time, and "Saving Private Ryan" was up that year, so I figured he wanted to go home to cheer for the home team.

We went home, and I was gearing up for a night of cuddling and TV watching when he started lighting candles everywhere and told me that he had my Valentine's Day gift. He said he wanted to give it to me early, since we wouldn't be together that day.

He handed me a little gift-wrapped box, and inside it was a beautiful blank journal. I opened it up, and on every single page was an "I love you because..." with a different reason on each one. I was so touched.

I finally got to the last page of the journal, and it said, "I love you for all these reasons and more. I can't wait for the day that you will be my wife. Will you marry me?"

I thought he was kidding and I started to giggle. But then I looked up, and there he was, down on his knee with the ring box open. I was so stunned that I just sat there and stared at him. Then he finally asked,"Well? Will you marry me?" I was still so shocked that I only nodded in agreement.

So I tease him all the time, "I never said YES, you know!!!!"

Despite that little detail, it was a perfect evening, a perfect wedding, and I'm glad to tell you all that we are a very happy old married couple!"

(Still happy...we'll have been together 9 years this fall!)
Old 05-26-2004, 08:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Proposal stories

Quote:
Originally posted by AXiD670
Okay, since honeychile mentioned it, I'll start it.

Here's how hubby proposed to me:

We were in the bathtub...taking a bubble bath (okay, I should tell you right now this is NOT the story my mother heard). We had only been in for a few minutes, but he was shivering. I asked him if he was cold and he said no, so I was like, okay. Anyways, I was just trying to make some light conversation, so I asked him, "If the world was going to end in 24 hours, and you were the only person who knew, but you couldn't tell anybody, what would you do?" So he said, "Well, I would ask you to marry me." and whipped out the ring.

Needless to say, that's the last thing I was expecting him to say! I was shocked. I just sat there for so long looking at it...he told me he thought I was going to say no 'cause I took so long. He said he had this big speech planned but I set him up perfectly, so he took the opportunity.
Totally cute story!!!
Old 05-26-2004, 08:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZTAMich
2 funny family stories

My cousin and her boyfriend took a vacation to Paris. They were outside of Notre Dame Cathedral when he got down on his knee and proposed, saying that they'd get married on the other side of the world from Paris, Maui Hawaii. They have beautiful pictures of both locations! Got married on a beach just the two of them, tho their parents knew they were tying the knot. We got a postcard with the cheesy "We got maui-ed" & they sent close family members beautiful flowers from Hawaii too.

My dad & mom were driving back downstate to Long Island when he pulled over into a rest area. My mom thought he was going to ask her if she needed to use the bathroom when he came out with "Will you marry me?" LOL
Old 05-27-2004, 07:55 PM

Mr. aephi alum and I had spent the evening in Boston and were walking back across the Mass. Ave. bridge to Cambridge. Halfway across, I suddenly noticed he wasn't walking next to me any more. I turned around, and there he was, down on one knee. He put his class ring on my left ring finger and asked me to marry him. I accepted immediately!

It was semi-spur-of-the-moment. I think he wanted to plan something terribly elaborate and romantic and stuff, but he couldn't wait. It was still plenty romantic.

The Mass. Ave. bridge is marked off in Smoots, thanks to the LXA chapter at MIT. The bridge is 364.4 Smoots and one ear in length. The exact middle of the bridge is marked "Halfway to Hell", but Mr. aephi alum decided that wasn't exactly an appropriate label for a proposal spot so he proposed at the 180 Smoot mark. So we will always be able to pick out the exact spot, and someday we'll be showing it to our kids and grandkids.

He also likes to say that he picked the spot because if I'd said no he could have tossed me in the Charles River.
Old 05-28-2004, 09:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Ladies,
Those are such wonderful, touching stories. I only hope that one day I will be able to share a story with you about my proposal. One day.....until then, I'll be patiently waiting.
Old 05-29-2004, 03:41 PM
GreekChat Member

greeklawgirl....your story made me cry. What a great guy!
Old 05-30-2004, 06:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Corey's a drummer in a band. We met in Marching Band way back when (he was in 8th grade, I was in 9th). Music has always been a part of who we are.

This past November, his rock band, Hero, decided to come play a show at a local bar in Elon. They had played there before, so I thought nothing of it. I kept telling all of my sisters to come, and a lot of them were asking me about it. I convinced a lot of people to go, and I thought I was an amazing girlfriend

My best friend from home called his cell phone when he was at my apartment before the show, and I answered. She covered quickly with "Oh, I was calling my friend Charity, I must have gone too far in my phone's address book." When I got to the bar a few hours later, she was there! She said she and her friend decided to get in the car to come hear the show. My little (who transferred to UGA) was also there. She told me she was in town for her former suitemate's birthday. I totally bought all of this.

Halfway through the show, Corey got up to sing. He doesn't have a good singing voice, so I was wondering why he was singing. I thought he was just being cute and romantic, but the last line of the song, he (and everyone else in the bar) yelled "Will you marry me?" as he got down on one knee. I have never been so speechless in my entire life. I sobbed and said yes, of course. Apparently Corey had sent a CD of the song and the whole plan to my roommates, and they in turn emailed all our sisters and my other friends at school. It was the best day of my life
Old 05-30-2004, 09:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BrownEyedGirl
Xylochick, what a precious story! You snagged a good one. When was the engagement and when will/did y'all get married?
Thanks, I think he's great, too We were engaged on Nov 15, 2003, and we're getting married April 2, 2005, the 8th anniversary of our first date.