GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,435
2 members and 1,433 guests
Sen's Revenge

Old 10-23-2005, 06:32 PM
GreekChat Member

My Pre-rush Story

Hello Ladies (and gents, too!). I'm transfering from a small liberal arts women's college to a rather large SEC university this spring. I've been thinking about rushing for a while now and wanted to share my story and hopefully gather some opinons and advice. (I've been lurking for quite some time too, so I know you are all great at giving it!)

Because I know ya'll love a good story, I'm going to share in increments. I know that my transfer status - and other things that I'll reveal later (ooh, suspense!) will probably hurt my chances, but I truly believe that I could bring a lot of energy to a sorority.

Okay, that's it for today! Thanks for listening and thanks in advance for your sympathy, kindness, and honesty !

-NotYourAverageRushee
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-23-2005, 06:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi there!
Rush can be a very exciting-- and very emotional-- experience. I suggest you peruse the rush forums and read rush stories and the advice that others have given, some of it is very good! Keep us posted with everything
Old 10-24-2005, 03:48 PM
GreekChat Member

a simple good luck isn't enough. have a blast and keep a positive outlook.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:45 PM
GreekChat Member

CHapter One: Girl Scouts

thanks for your well wishes so far! Here's chapter one and How I Became Interested in Greek Life

I'm from a tiny town that's right on the border of North and South. My parents are from the midwest and I was certainly not exposed to anything Greek growing up. Vaguely I might have heard it referred to as "buying your friends" and all of those other awful stereotypes.

I started college by going South, but to a school with no Greeks, which didn'treally bother me either way. Throughout my life I've loved and adored my intense involvement in Girl Scouts and that conntinued in college. By my sophomore year I was VP of my school's Campus Girl Scout group. I was discussing recruitment methods with a council advisor and she mentioned that at larger schools with Greek Life, there was even more of a problem because of competition with a sorority that works with Girl Scouts.

I thought about not mentioning their name here, but ya'll know it anyway, hooray for Kappa Delta! So anyway, that piqued my interest. I wanted to know how KD was involved with Girl Scouts so I found their national webpage (TONS of info, great page!) and began cruising individual chapters pages. I learned a wealth of information not only about Kappa Delta but about Greek life and their dedication to various causes.

I was impressed by the huge amounts of service and fundraising for causes, as well as the GPA requirements and strictness of character. Plenty of myths were dispelled for me in that initial web-surfing period...

So concludes chapter one. I'll post again soon!
Old 10-24-2005, 06:16 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm just assuming this, but since you are transfering to an SEC school, you'll be going through Continuous Open Bidding, correct? Because I can't think of an SEC school that has a spring recruitment (someone correct me if I'm wrong!). Good luck!
Old 10-25-2005, 12:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Good Luck with your transfer and upcoming recruitment!

I don't want to sound like a total blonde but what does SEC stand for? I honestly really don't know (but watch as soon as I'm told I'll be like "duh Brianna")

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 10-25-2005, 01:02 AM
GreekChat Member

SEC= Southeastern Conference

SEC schools being: Auburn, Alabama, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Arkansas, Vanderbilt, Tennessee, Georgia, South Carolina, Florida, Kentucky, Louisiana State

Last edited by AUDeltaGam; 10-25-2005 at 01:05 AM.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AUDeltaGam
SEC= Southeastern Conference

SEC schools being: Auburn, Alabama, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Arkansas, Vanderbilt, Tennessee, Georgia, South Carolina, Florida, Kentucky, Louisiana State
Thank you!

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 10-25-2005, 11:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I can't think of an SEC school that has a spring recruitment
I believe that Vanderbilt does.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to TNPhiMu
You're correct IvySpice, Vandy does have spring formal recruitment.
Old 10-27-2005, 06:46 AM
GreekChat Member

However, the first part of Vanderbilt's recruitment is at the end of the fall semester....
The following calendar is taken directly from the Greek Life site...(http://www.vanderbilt.edu/greek_life/joinpanhel.html)

"2005-2006 SORORITY RECRUITMENT CALENDAR (tentative)
August 24 Information Session in Sarratt Cinema @ 5:00pm (A-L) and 6:00pm (M-Z)
September 18 Sorority Recruitment Registration in Student Life Center @ 5:00pm
November 5 Panhellenic Recruitment Fall Round
December 6 Recruitment 101 for all Potential New Members @5:00pm (A-L) and 6:00pm (M-Z)
January 7 Residence Halls Open @ 8:00pm
January 8 Panhellenic Sorority Recruitment - Display Round 2:00pm - 10:30pm
January 10 Panhellenic Sorority Recruitment - Philanthropy Round 9:00am - 6:00pm
January 11 Classes begin, no rounds
January 12 Panhellenic Sorority Recruitment - Entertainment Round 5:30pm - 11:00pm
January 14 Panhellenic Sorority Recruitment - Preference Round 5:00pm - 10:00pm
January 15 BID DAY"
Silver

Last edited by AOIIsilver; 10-27-2005 at 06:49 AM.
Old 10-27-2005, 06:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
Wow, for some reason I'm sort of excited and interested about this rush thread...good luck!
Old 10-28-2005, 01:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
This thread is going to be one of the more intresting ones, come spring time

Good luck!

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 10-30-2005, 08:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IvySpice
I believe that Vanderbilt does.
UGA has a spring recruitment for chapters who need to pledge to total or did not make quota in the fall... but usually only 4-6 of the 18 sororities actually participate and most don't have many open spots.
Old 10-30-2005, 02:25 PM
GreekChat Member

sisterhood and ritual

So here comes my next part of what draws me to GLOs: my love of ritual. My religious denomination places high importance on the benefits of ritual, so I grew up completely enveloped in it. In addition, believe it or not, Girl Scouts helped to hone that. I was once referred to as "bleeding green" because of my dedication to staying true to Scouting ideals. I love the songs, the campfire practices, the "Scout's Own" - a ceremony that is designed by the scout, but follows a specific pattern.

My sophomore year, I joined a GLO that was allowed at my school because it is mostly thought of as professional, though it has some social aspects (not at my chapter however..) During my initiation period I was commended for my over-enthusiasm and ability to memorize just about anything about the organization's history. I fell in love with the ritual aspects and aspired to become Ritual Chair. (It didn't happen for timing reasons and it's something I know I'll always regret).

The one thing missing from that experience, in my opinion, was sisterhood. The closeness that I felt missing from the chapter is what caused me to delve deeper into social GLOs. Its not like we were mean to each other or wouldnt say hi in class or anything, but it was like pulling teeth to get anyone to do anything outside of mandatory meetings - I should know I was social chair for a year!

I am completely enthralled by stories of women becoming friends for life through their Greek involvement. I know it doesn't happen every time, but it's so sweet anyway!

So that's my chapter two. See ya'll next week if not sooner!

P.S. I'm so glad ya'll are looking forward to my spring experience, I am too!