GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,463
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, RogelioLan
» Online Users: 2,487
2 members and 2,485 guests
John

Old 04-20-2012, 06:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up I just need a general run through about greek life.

I am a sophomore in high school, and my dream school is University of Southern California. If you are a part of greek life there, your help is greatly appreciated, but if you're not, your help is still greatly appreciated. I just have a couple of questions.

1. I am of a mixed race, my mom is hispanic, and my dad is caribbean and white. Does race really come into play in terms of being in a sorority? In other words, do they tend to be very prejudice? I know there are the NPHC sororities, but does that mean that only african-amercians can be in those and not any other one?
2. What is rush week truly like?
3. How long can you be in a sorority? Like, is it by semester or by the school year?
4. Do you need recommendations, and if so, from who?
5. What are frat parties truly like?
6. If you are a part of greek life, to you, what is the greatest thing about being in a fraternity/sorority?
7. Is being in a sorority very time consuming? Will it be easy for me to be friends with other people outside of greek life, and can i easily participate in other "non-greek" activities?
8. Are girls from different sororities friends with each other, or is it very cliquey?

Even if you can only answer one of these questions, your input is very much appreciated.

Last edited by girlfrmthesouth; 04-20-2012 at 07:59 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-20-2012, 07:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlfrmthesouth View Post
I am a sophomore in high school, and my dream school is University of Southern California. If you are a part of greek life of there, your help is greatly appreciated, but if you're not, your help is still greatly appreciated. I just have a couple of questions.

1. I am of a mixed race, my mom is hispanic, and my dad is caribbean and white. Does race really come into play in terms of being in a sorority? In other words, do they tend to be very prejudice? I know there are the NPHC sororities, but does that mean that only african-amercians can be in those and not any other one?
2. What is rush truly week like?
3. How long can you be in a sorority? Like, is it by semester or by the school year?
4. Do you need recommendations, and if so, from who?
6. If you are a part of greek life, to you, what is the greatest thing about being in a fraternity/sorority?
7. Is being in a sorority very time consuming? Will it be easy for me to be friends with other people outside of greek life, and can i easily participate in other "non-greek" activities?
8. Are girls from different sororities friends with each other, or is it very cliquey?

Even if you can only answer one of these questions, your input is very much appreciated
A "general run through"? Uh huh.... seriously?

How about reading some of the THOUSANDS of posts on this site that are devoted to discussing and answering the questions that you ask for a "run through" about. There is NOT quick run through answer.

You are a high school sophomore. Concentrate on graduating first.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
A "general run through"? Uh huh.... seriously?

How about reading some of the THOUSANDS of posts on this site that are devoted to discussing and answering the questions that you ask for a "run through" about. There is NOT quick run through answer.

You are a high school sophomore. Concentrate on graduating first.
Oh trust me I have read a lot of them. I just joined this site today, so pardon me for not seeing EVERYTHING. And yeah I know I need to concentrate on graduating, the only reason I even joined this site was because today at my school we had a meeting with the faculty and they told us that we need to start looking at information about colleges and what our top colleges have to offer...so that's all i was doing. I'm apart of several other college forums gathering info too. Even though I've read a lot of the posts, doesn't mean they answered all my questions and it definitely doesn't mean that they are new and up to date either. A lot of the things I read were from months and even years ago... I feel like things can always change.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Oh trust me I have read a lot of them. I just joined this site today, so pardon me for not seeing EVERYTHING.
You have 2 years to read the posts on this site. And with what you said about not wanting to read the posts that are several years old, you have 2 years till you graduate. Anything we tell you today will change, at least according to your logic.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
You have 2 years to read the posts on this site. And with what you said about not wanting to read the posts that are several years old, you have 2 years till you graduate. Anything we tell you today will change, at least according to your logic.
I guess you're right. I just never thought about any of this stuff in depth until today when my class had that meeting at my school. I will constantly be reading this forum, all I really wanted was personal opinions and experiences from someone who is part of greek life right now, that's all. Sorry for making repeated posts...
Old 04-20-2012, 08:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I guess you're right. I just never thought about any of this stuff in depth until today when my class had that meeting at my school. I will constantly be reading this forum, all I really wanted was personal opinions and experiences from someone who is part of greek life right now, that's all. Sorry for making repeated posts...
It's good that you're taking initiative, but if things were constantly changing, what good would it do for you to get information from folks now if you aren't starting for another 2 years?

Again, focus on doing the best you can in high school and read through the forums, as suggested before. Most of the basic information is still very relevant.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay, I'll bite.

Here you go:

Quote:
I am a sophomore in high school, and my dream school is University of Southern California. If you are a part of greek life there, your help is greatly appreciated, but if you're not, your help is still greatly appreciated. I just have a couple of questions.

1. I am of a mixed race, my mom is hispanic, and my dad is caribbean and white. Does race really come into play in terms of being in a sorority? In other words, do they tend to be very prejudice? I know there are the NPHC sororities, but does that mean that only african-amercians can be in those and not any other one? Look at the chapter websites - you will see that there are many different races represented. It might be a factor for some chapters (can't speak for USC) but it does not mean you are limited only to NPHC sororities.
2. What is rush week truly like? Read recruitment stories.
3. How long can you be in a sorority? Like, is it by semester or by the school year? You may be an active as long as you are taking a full load and have not graduated. Some sororities allow graduate students to be active: most do not.
4. Do you need recommendations, and if so, from who? Yes. Sorority alumnae - preferably from women who know you, but you should also register with your closest alumnae panhellenic.
6. If you are a part of greek life, to you, what is the greatest thing about being in a fraternity/sorority? Read the "Stories of sisterhood" thread.
7. Is being in a sorority very time consuming? Will it be easy for me to be friends with other people outside of greek life, and can i easily participate in other "non-greek" activities? Time management is important. However, look at all the successful women in sororities - obviously it can be done. Greeks also tend to be very active in other campus organizations.
8. Are girls from different sororities friends with each other, or is it very cliquey? Depends on the campus and YOU. If you are open to have friends from different sororities, you can. Women often make friends in their recruitment groups who end up pledging different sororities.

FOR NOW - concentrate on your academics and extracurricular activities.

Even if you can only answer one of these questions, your input is very much appreciated.

Last edited by SWTXBelle; 04-20-2012 at 10:27 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:21 PM
GreekChat Member

I give her props for using "a part" correctly. She's only 15/16 and she's using the term hella better than people older than her.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLake View Post
I give her props for using "a part" correctly. She's only 15/16 and she's using the term hella better than people older than her.
LOL-That gave her a plus in my book right off the bat!
Old 04-21-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
A lot of the things I read were from months and even years ago... I feel like things can always change.
No, they really don't.

This "instant nostalgia" thing is getting ridic.

Anyway, the world is going to end this year (thank you Mayans and Dick Clark) so all this is kind of a moot point.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
Old 04-21-2012, 11:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I'm apart of several other college forums gathering info too.

For those keeping track, she really DOESN'T seem to know the correct use of "a part" vs. "apart".

No points.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLake View Post
I guess...if we're grading on %ages. She missed one that I saw.

It makes me really cranky, all this misuse of "a part of" and "apart".

eta: thetalady - jinx! buy me a coke!!!
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 04-21-2012, 01:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
1. I am of a mixed race, my mom is hispanic, and my dad is caribbean and white.
What? Somebody made "caribbean" a race and didn't tell me?
Quote:
Oh trust me I have read a lot of them. I just joined this site today...
This forum is - what? 10 years old? - so you can't have read that many of them. If you had, you would have had the answer to most of your questions.
Things are not going to change just because you're now in the picture, snowflake.

(Sheesh, I am in a bitchy mood today!)

Old 04-21-2012, 01:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
She did choose the correct version of "click" vs. "clique" in her post, thank you.