GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,264
0 members and 1,264 guests
No Members online

Old 05-12-2012, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
The only hydrangeas that have thrived around here the past few summers have been the old varieties; the new ones can't take the heat.
I desperately want hydrangeas but doubt I could make them survive and thrive up here. Grrrr.

I've had a lovely flat of impatiens to plant for two weeks, but the thought of planting them makes every joint in my body ache. Tomorrow, maybe tomorrow!
Old 05-12-2012, 10:19 PM
GreekChat Member

We planted our veggie garden. Early girl, Big boy, Harlequin, White, Pink, and cherry red tomato plants. Jalepeno, Habanero, Green bell, red bell, purple bell, Hungarian hot wax and sweet banana pepper plants. Some zuchinni, watermelon and eggplant, plus the strawberries we transplanted from our old house. Mulched in the flowerbeds as well. Put some plant food on the roses. The knockout rose bush is exploding right now, it looks awesome! Wish I had something to do with that (new house). I'm trying really hard NOT to kill the beautiful rose bushes. Put in 4 different varieties of petunias, geraniums, gerber daisies, marigolds (in the veggie garden to help attract bees), begonias, dalias, salvia, and snap dragons in the hanging baskets and flower beds.

I'm all gardened out right now. Just have to keep on top of the weeds.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator

Our plums, blackberries, and raspberries are fruiting now. So happy!
Old 05-29-2012, 10:13 AM
GreekChat Member

It has been such a wild year weather-wise in Indiana this year I don't know what to expect yard-wise. It was actually 80 degrees one day in March! Anyway, EVERYTHING is blooming at least a month ahead of schedule. Our clematis are nearly done (usually bloom through the end of June), our coral bells are nearly done--began in April rather than May, our roses are blooming like they do in July, our peonies have been gone for over two weeks--used to still be blooming well after Memorial Day, our iris are bloomed and gone, our daylillies have been blooming for weeks and--our hostas are HUGE--some as big as bushel baskets--I will need to divide them this fall!

Nothing died out, including the weeds! Memorial Day weekend was the hottest on record (at least for the Indy 500), and I had to water the flowers every night; our geraniums and petunias in pots would be dead had I not. I would like to plant a flowering dogwood now that I have a spot for it, but I think I should wait until fall.

Crazy warmer-than-usual winters and period of extreme drought and then rain play havoc with gardening these days. We really had no true winter and have gone right into summer with maybe a week of spring. I guess we will just settle back and see how the summer plays out. I do know this--I bought some New Guinea impatiens baskets--beautiful but very thirsty!
Old 05-29-2012, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator

Oh, we had little to no winter either; I really thought it would affect fruit set but we've had good crops. Almost everything has bloomed and/or fruited 2-3 weeks ahead of time. Usually our yard smells like honeysuckle and privet by graduation week (a week ago) but all that flowered in April. I'm wondering if anyone will have daylilies flowering after the middle of June.

In good news; I won a $25 gift certificate from my favorite garden center! Though I'd love to get more plants, I should really get fertilizer or maybe some plant supports.

Can anyone recommend a good crabgrass killer?
Old 07-16-2012, 11:30 PM
Super Moderator

Anyone harvesting yet?
Old 07-17-2012, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator

So far, only the berries and plums plus now tomatoes. My husband is trying one of those upside-down tomato planters.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:21 AM
GreekChat Member

We've harvested a lot of herbs, and some tomatoes and a few peppers. Unfortunately I think our season is over... We start a lot earlier in south central FL than most people do, but we will replant a fall garden in August/Sept. We've had a stupid rat eating our tomatoes and peppers, and I'm tired of fighting it. We live on a lake with a nature preserve. Thank GOD the garden is at the back of the yard AWAY from my house. We've used our humane trap to catch and relocate one, but haven't gotten this new one yet. Hubby pulled all the green peppers and apparently we didn't ripen them right in the house. They got a really weird rubbery texture. So they went to the compost bin.

My Lemon Verbena came back, which makes me very happy. I love that stuff. I actually have had the same chive plants for four years, and have had a lot more luck with my herbs than I have with my tomatoes and peppers!

Warning: The above post may be dripping in sarcasm and full of smartassedness.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:03 AM

I have to container garden as there is a large deer population in my area. Fortunately, I have a large deck. I also got a late start this year.

I have 3 Earthboxes. (These are awesome. They are not cheap, and they are difficult to move once fully loaded with soil, but plants really thrive in them.)

Earthbox #1: 2 tomato plants. A critter (possibly a squirrel) got to one plant and it died, but the other has set flowers.

Earthbox #2: 3 cucumber plants. They all have flowers and I see some fruit developing.

Earthbox #3: Basil, oregano, catnip, stevia, and an accidental cucumber that was supposed to go into Earthbox #2. All are thriving. The catnip and stevia are experiments. My cat loves catnip, and the stevia is a sweetener experiment (I currently use sucralose).

Planters: Lots of chives, a cherry tomato plant, and some rosemary.

The hydrangea in front of my house was looking beautiful, but sadly the heat has taken its toll. Spring flowers (forsythia, azalea, rhododendron) were lovely, though.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:31 PM
Super Moderator

Harvest time!

Tonight we had a berry cobbler courtesy of God's garden and Blazercheer!
Old 04-23-2013, 08:23 PM
Super Moderator

I knew this would happen. Last fall our Encore azaleas were reblooming heavily, even into November! They clashed majorly with our Halloween decorations. Now they're giving us very few flowers.

If they pull that again in the fall, I'm going to remove the blooms so we can get a spring bloom again. In other news, I don't know if we can have a vegetable garden this year, other than in a few well-placed pots, because our son's giant lab puppy (that we have until our son's summer marriage) would get into one and happily trash it.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh jeez, reading through this thread makes me long for the gardens we have at my house. The dorm landscape just isn't doing it for me, even though the dogwoods and cherry trees have been beautiful. Only 10 days until I'm done with school!

I have eight houseplants sitting on my dorm windowsill, but I'm sure my mother is sick of looking after the 50+ ones that I have at home. She continually mentions how much she hates my palm tree, because palm trees do not get enough sunlight in the New England winters. I know I miss them dearly. As for the outdoors, all I know is that our azaleas got nibbled at by dear, robbing them of all blooms Apparently the deer have figured out that our dog isn't out at night. I hate deer with a mad passion, especially since they discovered the joys of eating our tulips.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:21 AM

I haven't even thought about my garden this year, what with my mother's health issues.

My forsythia is lovely, and the hydrangea is putting out some leaves. The azaleas are flowering. I'm going to have to hit everything with the deer repellent spray - azalea flowers = deer snacks

My parents have a beautiful camellia bush. 20 years ago, they thought it was going to die ... and then it put out one single flower. Today, it is in full bloom. I took a pic with my phone but it hardly does it justice (overexposed). Next time I visit I'll bring a real camera.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:06 PM
Super Moderator

I know that this is an older thread, but I have a serious question. I have some gorgeous Rose of Sharon bushes that are very sentiment to me. I started them from seeds I bought at Mt. Vernon when I was about five years old!

Anyhow, it seems that I never have time to pluck out a few when I'm in PA, so I can transplant them. I was wondering if there's a very specific time when the seeds have to be harvested, and how to do it. There seems to be every color, although I love the deep pink the most. Also, when is a good time to transplant them, and how does one do this long distance?

Any suggestions?
Old 07-26-2016, 06:39 AM
Super Moderator

When the pods turn brown and start to open, you harvest the seeds. I always plant mine in a pot first so I can watch over them.