GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Locals

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,684
1 members and 2,683 guests
aamanthalittle3

Old 11-08-2005, 02:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: In the present, learning to appreciate every moment
I am not one to post but. . .

1. I remained quiet while other people addressed you because YOU are the founder. This is YOUR dream that you want to see realized. The energy that people approached you with is what you will experience along this journey. YOU must get to the place where you can discern constructive criticism from mindless comments. When you are talking to interested members, I am sure they will want to know why they should attach themselves to YOUR vision. This is the decision that YOU made to start down this path and it is YOUR resposnibilty to see it through. So yes, I made the desison to let YOU handle your own business.

2. Sweetheart, there is nothing wrong with being inquisitive, BUT when you expect a helpful answer you must watch your tone. Like I said, I wished you well, but I was surprised at how defensive you became as people began to post. And as YOU decided to share your history with the group your true personality began to surface. You DO have unresolved issues. YOU did not feel it necessary to attend events and yet you still pursued membership. I am confused-- you want to uplift the black community using an organization founded on Christian principles, yet you state that you didnt want to become a member of the other sorority because it lacked a satisfactory rite of passage. Those two things have nothing to do with one another and shows that all of your motivation may not be as pure as you think.

3. NO ONE OWES YOU ANYTHING!!! Not help, not advice, not suggestions, not anything! You might not have gotten the exact answer you were searching for but many would agree the information you have received here is priceless.

4. Please dont take this the wrong but you are transparent. You really are. You are young, you are bruised, you want to belong and have the need to create. You are going where so many have gone before you but have not yet appreciated their contributions. You come asking for help, and can not receive the gifts you have been given. I visited your site and provided insight about one of the philanthropies. Given all the research that you state that you have done, I am surprised that no one caught that fact before me. This just lets you know that as much as you feel you may know about greekdom, there is much you do not know and you must be open to that fact. You were that way at the beginning of the posts, but you have lost your focus along the way.

5. My comments are directed towards you and NOT the sorority. As the founder, you are in the unique positon to make this organization exactly what you feel God has called it to be. Please remember to keep Him first and show EVERYONE respect, not just those you judge worthy to deserve it.

Edited for spelling and not content

Last edited by OhSoDetermined; 11-08-2005 at 02:14 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-08-2005, 02:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: I can't stay quiet any longer

Quote:
Originally posted by the1beauty
you talk about what's unattractive, but why did you have to "stay quiet" while everyone was pointing out what's wrong with my organization? Were they not criticizing, placing us under scrutiny? You say I'm not addressing people correctly, but what about the way people are addressing me? How many comments can you find in this thread that could be considered "disrespectful"?

And while I appreciate all the comments, well wishing, snide remarks, criticisms, etc, all I wanted were suggestions on discreet advertising.

So why is it that when I pose a question, I'm being "bitter" and "too big for my britches"? Why can't others answer questions as I have? By the way, I never crticized, and made it clear that I support all GLOs, but most aren't what I wanted. Meanwhile, I find it crazy that people who don't know me from some random heffa they may meet on the street can analyze me and say I'm bitter lol. You just don't know me to say such a thing.

And yes I said "so many obstacles" because that is what we face, especially being new. We had critical decisions to make, had to question whether we were the right ones to even go on this venture. Had work out our days/time so we could put forth enough effort, we're constantly getting asked 21 questions and bein scrutinized. But that's part of the deal we made when we decided to start this. So YES, we face many obstacles.

Ok, to sum it all up: I support & respect ALL GLOs, I will come at people the way they come at me/respect them to the degree that they respect me, and all I wanted was suggestions on discreet advertising, but mainly got judgement & criticism of my organization.
When we advertise ourselves as Christians, it is important that we behave as Christ-like as possible. When Christ was accused what did he do? Matthew 27: 12-14:

12When he was accused by the chief priests and the elders, he gave no answer. 13Then Pilate asked him, "Don't you hear the testimony they are bringing against you?" 14But Jesus made no reply, not even to a single charge—to the great amazement of the governor.

I think this is partially what Honeykiss meant when she talked about your testimony. Trust that people here (and on your campus) will be judging you and your organization's every action. This is a wonderful opportunity for you to show the love of Christ, even if you feel that others are not showing you the same love/respect.

Regarding advertising....since your campus has forbade you to advertise, it is important as a Christian organization that you follow their mandates and do not try to find a way to get around them. I would suggest word of mouth. Talk to people in your classes, in the cafeteria, etc. and invite them to your events.

You asked about affliating with a fraternity. What would be the purpose of that?
Old 11-08-2005, 03:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: I can't stay quiet any longer

Quote:
Originally posted by Eclipse
When we advertise ourselves as Christians, it is important that we behave as Christ-like as possible. When Christ was accused what did he do? Matthew 27: 12-14:

12When he was accused by the chief priests and the elders, he gave no answer. 13Then Pilate asked him, "Don't you hear the testimony they are bringing against you?" 14But Jesus made no reply, not even to a single charge—to the great amazement of the governor.

I think this is partially what Honeykiss meant when she talked about your testimony. Trust that people here (and on your campus) will be judging you and your organization's every action. This is a wonderful opportunity for you to show the love of Christ, even if you feel that others are not showing you the same love/respect.

Regarding advertising....since your campus has forbade you to advertise, it is important as a Christian organization that you follow their mandates and do not try to find a way to get around them. I would suggest word of mouth. Talk to people in your classes, in the cafeteria, etc. and invite them to your events.

You asked about affliating with a fraternity. What would be the purpose of that?
Thanks Eclipse because this is exactly what I was referring to in regards to their testimony and their witness. As believers we are to be examples - light to a darken world. We are to conduct things with honesty, trust, and as if we are working unto Him.

Trying to "skirt" around university rules concerning membership (because I get the feeling that although you are open to anyone because the university says you have to be, there is an "unwritten rule" that you will only pick Christians which opens your sorority up to discrimination charges) as well as "discreet advertising" isn't right.

For example, you mission statement says...
Kappa Alpha Gamma Sorors will serve as fine examples of Christian womanhood to our universities, cities, and all with whom we come in contact with;

Can a non-believer exemplify Christian womanhood? Not according to scripture (which is what you stated your research is based on). Will a non-believer lead your weekly bible study or prayer group? Yeah, you said earlier that just because one may apply, that doesn't mean they will get in, nevertheless you have agreed to let this important fact slide in order to abide by the university's rules which leads me to my question again.......what is it that makes your sorority so unique compared to other black sororities that are founded upon Christian principles?

I know you are anxious to bring something new to campus, but don't bend the ideals that is suspose to make your sorority "so unique" just so you can rep on campus this fall.

Please don't let pride stop you from researching more established, national Christian sororities to see how they have managed to stay true to their ideals without compromising the basics elements that make them Christian based sororities. (Sigma Phi Lambda, Alpha Lambda Omega, etc.)

ETA: spelling and reference to ALQ

Last edited by Honeykiss1974; 11-08-2005 at 03:19 PM.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: In the present, learning to appreciate every moment
What was that sound . . . . .

. . . .I think it was a breath of fresh air. Great job Eclipse and Honeykiss!
Old 11-08-2005, 03:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Ohsodetermined, I totally agree with you!! Eclipse and Honeykiss1974, I could not have said it better! God bless you both.

If I could also reiterate what Honeykiss1974 said about the importance of continuing to research and not let any “obstacles” (i.e., pride, frustration, misunderstandings) or anything stand in your way! If this is an organization that you believe that God is calling you to bring about, trust that NOTHING will stand in your way. These preserved “obstacles” are only there to help you. Just refer to James 1:1-6. No matter how many “obstacles” you may face along the way, just know that trials are there to merely strengthen you and build endurance and patience.

My organization has been blessed to thrive over the past 17 years and is still growing thanks to the Grace of God!! But rest assured that it was not and is still not easy. We as Christians will ALWAYS face “obstacles” as we continue to show the love of Christ and walk worth of the call. I just encourage you to seek God and take heed to the advice given on this message board. Although it might not seem like it, I think the individuals on this board seem genuinely happy for you and want to see you succeed but just want you to see things from every possible direction.

Stay encouraged! Many blessing and much success!! God bless!
Old 11-08-2005, 07:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Doing the paperwork to become a corporation isn't all that tough, particularly with an attorney. However, running and maintaining a corporation, particularly with so few people, is very tough.

RESPONSE: I heed what you say, but know a lot about business and the law being that 1) I run an INTERNATIONAL promotion business. Want to know about it? PM me, I love showing it off.

It would seem to me that if you run an INTERNATIONAL promotion business, then you already have ideals about how to promote your organization
Old 11-08-2005, 09:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tnxbutterfly
Doing the paperwork to become a corporation isn't all that tough, particularly with an attorney. However, running and maintaining a corporation, particularly with so few people, is very tough.

RESPONSE: I heed what you say, but know a lot about business and the law being that 1) I run an INTERNATIONAL promotion business. Want to know about it? PM me, I love showing it off.

It would seem to me that if you run an INTERNATIONAL promotion business, then you already have ideals about how to promote your organization
I'm glad i read to the bottom because this question popped out at me like whoa when i read that response. If you can run a business that appeals to people all over the world, how is it so hard to find the things that will make your sorority appeal to your campus?

other than that, i believe eclipse and honeykiss1974 said everything else. good job.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to the1beauty
I said above that even though we're a Christian one, we are still a GLO - all GLOs have the right to participate in the traditions of Greek life, and there needs to be no justification for it. We just go about how we do things a bit differently, though we still deserve to be able to represent our letters, have a call, handsign, step (and praise dance), and strut
Old 11-09-2005, 05:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to the1beauty
Quote:
Originally posted by rocketgirl
I'm glad i read to the bottom because this question popped out at me like whoa when i read that response. If you can run a business that appeals to people all over the world, how is it so hard to find the things that will make your sorority appeal to your campus?

other than that, i believe eclipse and honeykiss1974 said everything else. good job.
Just so it's known, i didn't read any of the posts above except for the SGRho's, which I replied to above...just didn't feel like reading or participating in this anymore.

And I can promote my business with few restraints. THIS SORORITY IS NOT YET OFFICIAL WITH OUR UNIVERSITIES....that is why i said "discreet advertising". We can't flyer campus or post banners. We're not allowed to participate in any of the little Greek fairs either...we have to remain on the low until next fall semester. The business and this organization are totally different, as are the ways in which they are each advertised.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: so many obstacles...

MY COMMENTS IN ALL CAPS TO DISTINGUISH BETWEEN YOUR QUESTIONS AND MY RECOMMENDATIONS. (I'm not "yelling" in all caps, that is!)

The first obstacle is that we are not officially affliated with the unviersity - we missed the deadline to join the multicultural greek council at the school. You MUST be under a greek counil to be a GLO at this university...

BEGIN TO GATHER INTEREST IN MEMBERS, OPERATE UNDER A NON GREEK NAME FOR NOW, PLAN EVENTS, AND DON'T MISS THIS DEADLINE FOR NEXT YEAR. KEEP IN TOUCH WITH THE MULTI-CULTURAL COUNCIL TO SEE IF YOU CAN BE INVITED TO THEIR EVENTS AS AN INTEREST GROUP. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN OPERATE AS A WOMEN'S GROUP AND WHEN YOU GET RECOGNITION, MOVE TO GREEK LETTERS AND HAVE A BIG CELEBRATION.

Second, we were told we could basically still do community service activities and gather a founding group of ladies, but couldn't do anything on campus.

THAT'S FINE. THERE ARE PLENTY OF WAYS TO BE SOCIAL AND HAVE SERVICE EVENTS. YOU CAN HAVE OUTINGS WITH ONE ANOTHER, START A YAHOO! GROUP AND MORE.

THE SCHOOL DOES RECOGNIZE YOU THEN IF THEY TOLD YOU THIS. YOU ARE JUST NOT YET A GLO OR AFFILIATED WITH A GREEK COUNCIL AT THE SCHOOL.

YOU CAN HOLD RECRUITMENT SESSIONS, BUT FOR NOW, YOU MAY WANT TO HAVE OPEN MEMBERSHIP. DON'T BEGIN ANY RITUALS OR GREEK LETTERS UNTIL YOU HAVE PERMISSION. AS LONG AS PROSPECTIVE MEMBERS ARE UNIVERSITY STUDENTS WHO ARE IN GOOD ACADEMIC STANDING WITH THE SCHOOL, ACCEPT THEM AS YOUR MEMBERS AND SPREAD THE WORD. YOU CAN PUT FLIERS UP IN THE COMMUNITY AROUND THE SCHOOL, IN THE DORMS, MASS EMAILS, ETC. SET UP A WEB SITE. PROMOTE IT AS CAMPUS MINISTRY MEETINGS AND AREA CHURCHES. SET AN EVENT CALENDAR.

Third, we have a LOT of competition ahead with other GLOs on this campus...there are many GLOs here. This may not be too much of a problem since the purpose of this sorority is unlike any other we know about on this campus or elsewhere.

IS THERE NOT A NEED ALREADY FULFILLED BY THOSE GLOS, THEN? AND IF YOUR PURPOSE IS TO PROMOTE CHRISTIAN VALUES AMONG AFRICAN AMERICAN WOMEN, THEN HOLD BIBLE STUDIES AND SERVE THE AFRICAN AMERICAN COMMUNITY THROUGH VARIOUS SOCIAL AND SERVICE FUNCTIONS. YOU HAVE ANOTHER SCHOOL YEAR BEFORE YOU WILL BE RECOGNIZED AS A GLO, SO YOU HAVE THIS YEAR TO DEVELOP YOURSELF.

Fourth is a question: if we aren't allowed to be noticeably present on campus right now, how do we recruit more ladies so that when next year comes and we are official with the school, we will have a healthy presence?

YOU RECRUIT THEM INTO AN ALL WOMEN'S AFRICAN AMERICAN CHRISTIAN SERVICE GROUP. STAY TRUE TO THIS PURPOSE AND GET YOUR GREEK AFFILIATION NEXT YEAR. YOU CAN STILL PROMOTE YOUR GROUP ON CAMPUS AS A NON GREEK WOMEN'S GROUP.

Fifth is also a question: should we try and affiliate with a fraternity (we have one in mind...) to get ourselves out? And if so, how do we approach them?

NO. THEN YOU WILL BE EXPECTED TO BE A CO-ED GROUP. INSTEAD, PLAN SOME COMMUNITY SERVICE PROJECTS TOGETHER. INVITE THEM TO AN END OF THE YEAR FORMAL BANQUET.

If someone can't answer any of the bove questions, any and all advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by adpiucf; 11-09-2005 at 06:08 PM.