GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,626
1 members and 1,625 guests
No Members online

Old 01-17-2004, 01:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by carnation
Auburn used to--and may still--put out a post-rush booklet with group pictures, names, and home towns of the new PNMs. One of the fraternities did it as a fundraiser and the guys on campus snapped them up so they could see who they might want to ask out or check out the girls they'd been asked to blind-date. I'd be at the Fiji House and the guys would say, "Fix me up with THIS one!", pointing to a Pi Phi's picture.
Does anybody else find this really really creepy? It seems way too appearance-based.
Old 01-17-2004, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator

I wouldn't call it creepy. It was just the way that the pledge classes were announced. Other schools announce them in the paper or online, some with pictures and some without. There are tons of sorority websites out there now that have their new members' and active members' group and/or individual pictures and names and I don't see how it's any different.
Old 01-17-2004, 04:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I wouldn't call it creepy. It was just the way that the pledge classes were announced. Other schools announce them in the paper or online, some with pictures and some without. There are tons of sorority websites out there now that have their new members' and active members' group and/or individual pictures and names and I don't see how it's any different.
Because those aren't sold to fraternity guys who are looking for dates. I found that practice creepy, not the pictures themselves.
Old 01-17-2004, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator

I think that posting personal info for literally the whole world to see is a lot creepier. I know several chapters who've had to remove pictures, names, and/or email addresses because of all the random creeps who contacted them.
Old 01-17-2004, 05:08 PM
GreekChat Member

The post-rush book doesn't bother me. You could pretty much find the same information -- picture, hometown, major -- in the school's yearbook. My university also put out a yearbook just of freshmen at the beginning of the school year. And it sounds like the men weren't approaching the girls directly, but asking their active sisters to introduce them.

What does raise alarm bells is when I see a sorority Web site with pictures, names and e-mail addresses of its members. Now that could be dangerous.
Old 01-17-2004, 05:16 PM

I think it all depends on how big of a deal Greek life is at the college as to whether the paper writes a story on it (as opposed to the individual groups taking out ads, which I think almost everyone does). At a school like WFU where Greek is a big deal, the majority of the campus wants this info. At someplace where the Greek population is very small, the paper would have a hard time justifying a big article about who joined unless they did that for every org.
Old 01-18-2004, 03:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
Just to back up what my sister PreppyGirl said our school does post the numbers, and all the sororities take ads in the paper for their new members' names. Also I know for a fact that at both Wake and my school at the beginning of the year there is a "facebook" published of the freshman class. Since both Wake and W&L have deferred rush, these books are essentially used for the same purposes that carnation was mentioning. I don't find it particularly creepy. It's a great way to get to know your class and put faces with names.

So anyway, if you go to a school where the majority of people are Greek, or at least a large number (not sure what Wake's numbers are but W&L is 80%), it's not unusual to find numbers, names, etc published in the paper.

Is Wake still planning on expanding with another group?? Does anyone know?
Old 01-18-2004, 09:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Is Wake still planning on expanding with another group?? Does anyone know?

With two groups missing quota -and one by a significant amount I would be shocked if the campus decided to expand.
Old 01-18-2004, 10:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Publishing the names in the paper welcoming the pleges/new members is pretty common where I went to school (and still advise). But I've just never seen that level of detail about all the numbers. I've seen comments about 'this is our largest new member class ever at ##' by certain groups, but never a detailed breakdown.

Then again, our campus is maybe 25% Greek if that and I guess that makes a big difference. It was just really surprising, but hey at least they're getting the coverage for recruitment!
Old 01-18-2004, 11:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
Quote:
Originally posted by Aphigal

With two groups missing quota -and one by a significant amount I would be shocked if the campus decided to expand.
Well---to put it mildly--me too.

A while back there was the discussion of the DZ expansion at Wake. It seems like everything went decently well with their colonization, which I'm happy for, but based upon my knowledge of the campus (which is pretty strong), I wasn't sure they were totally ready for expansion at that point. I wish the DZ the best, of course, but I just wasn't sure it was the right time.

At the time that DZ was offered colonization, another group was also offered colonization, after a timespan of a few years. I was just curious as to what the status of those plans were.
Old 01-18-2004, 04:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Alpha Delta Pi was extended an invitation to come back to Wake. There have been no final decisions made at this time.
Old 01-18-2004, 04:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GeekyPenguin
Does anybody else find this really really creepy? It seems way too appearance-based.
I definitely find it creepy !

A few months ago when I was looking through old ADPi chapter scrapbooks, there were newspaper clippings that basically looked like a list of all the new members that each sorority recieved during recruitment. It was pretty interesting! I learned there were once some other NPC groups on my campus
Old 01-18-2004, 04:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I'd be at the Fiji House and the guys would say, "Fix me up with THIS one!", pointing to a Pi Phi's picture.
I'm totally hijacking here, but this is how my roommate's parents met! She was looking through the Greek yearbook and saw his picture and decided she wanted to meet him, so she went to his fraternity's party and had a friend introduce them.
Old 01-19-2004, 12:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Tri Delta Bid List

Tri Delta has updated it's member's page on their chapter website:

http://www.wfu.edu/Student-organizat...t/members.html
Old 01-19-2004, 01:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GeekyPenguin
Creepy? Not really. It's not any different than looking at a composite of a chapter and doing the same thing. It may be appearance-based, but that's often what attracts us to someone in the first place. Now, if it were some weird 85-year-old guy a la Blue in Old School that was saying "fix me up with your sister", that I would find creepy!
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.