GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 805
3 members and 802 guests
Phrozen Sands, Titchou

Old 12-27-2009, 10:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Wearing a nose ring during recruitment?

I have my nose pierced and I wear a nose stud/ring in it every day. Would it be distasteful to keep it in during an informal recruitment party coming up? I consider it a part of myself but I don't want to make a bad impression because of it. Thanks
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-27-2009, 10:34 PM
GreekChat Member

I would think that during informal it wouldn't be a big deal...then again, I go to a very liberal school where Greek life isn't that intense. I'd say it depends on your school.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:38 PM
GreekChat Member

i would say it most definately depends on the campus and the group itself. ALthough I dont see it being a problem during informal really. I went through formal recruitment this year and i know of 3 girls in 1 chapter at my school that wore theirs and they were already in the sorority so I am going to say it would not be an issue.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Look at it this way. You said that you consider it part of who you are right? You also said that you wear it all the time. Since that is the case I would say wear it, since you would wear it everyday as a sister anyway.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:43 PM

This truly depends on the school. At some places no one would care, at some you'd get cut automatically. Many schools look at rush as similar to a job interview and you probably wouldn't wear your nose ring to a job interview.

You've had the benefit of being on campus at least a semester - have you ever seen other sorority women with nose jewelry?
Old 12-28-2009, 05:44 AM
GreekChat Member

just be yourself.. you wouldn't want to be someone else just to be part of a sorority
Old 12-28-2009, 06:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cao View Post
just be yourself.. you wouldn't want to be someone else just to be part of a sorority
Taking out your nose ring doesn't alter your identity anymore than deciding not to wear earrings one day just because you don't feel like it.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:58 AM
GreekChat Member

I can't imagine that it would matter, however if you feel the need to ask, you probably shouldn't wear it.

What's the saying? "If you have to ask the answer is always no."
Old 12-28-2009, 12:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to WVU alpha phi
I agree with 33girl that it depends on the school. I didn't rush with a nose ring, but got mine pierced shortly after initiation. I'd say maybe 7 or 8 girls in my chapter of 90 had theirs pierced while I was there, so it was never an issue and I always kept mine in while I was a sister during recruitment.

Of course, it you do decide to keep it, make sure it is a very small stud and not something huge that will distract the sister you're talking to.
Old 12-28-2009, 02:04 PM

I would probably take it out during rush, but that's just my opinion. (Think of recruitment as an interview, and would you wear the piercing to a job interview? An interview at a tatoo shop, yes, but an interview at a corporate office...perhaps it's best to err on the more conservative side).

I'm not a big fan of nose rings, but for the record, I prefer the "side of the nose" kind:
http://s3.hubimg.com/u/195278_f260.jpg

I do not like this kind at all (my niece has one and it repulses me to look at it)
http://www.vidalocatattoo.co.uk/imag...20piercing.jpg
Old 12-28-2009, 03:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutiePie2000 View Post
I do not like this kind at all (my niece has one and it repulses me to look at it)
http://www.vidalocatattoo.co.uk/imag...20piercing.jpg
Reminds me of the Piggy-Wig in the Land Where the Bong Trees Grow in the Owl and the Pussycat.
Old 12-28-2009, 05:18 PM
GreekChat Member

It's already been said that it depends on the campus culture, more specifically the Greek culture as to whether a nose ring is accepted or not. Just bear in mind that even if you are on a campus where 3/4 of students have some form of body art, you might end up being rushed by someone who doesn't and/or despises nose rings.

If you are willing to make the stand "Take me as I am, nose ring and all, or I don't want your bid" then wear it. If you are worried it could negatively impact your chances and that's more important to you, then don't. It's your choice.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks everyone I think I'm going to wear it, but put in a small stud instead of a ring. That seems like a good compromise because I want to make the right impression but I wear something in my nose every day and it would feel weird to take it out all together. Wish me luck with informal!
Old 12-28-2009, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator

let us know how it goes.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:58 PM
GreekChat Member

As someone who used to have a small stud in all the time, I would say that going with the stud instead of the ring is a good idea. To be quite honest, few people noticed when I got mine pierced (three weeks later people were like "hmmmm wait when did you get that done), and no one even noticed when I took it out. It its small and tasteful, you won't be "that girl with the nose ring".