GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 2,185
0 members and 2,185 guests
No Members online

Old 05-02-2004, 07:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Avoiding Being Shot by the Police 101

http://www.geocities.com/jetflair/policeshootings.html

1. DON'T COMMIT VIOLENT CRIMES. It seems elementary, but this rule is lost on many. They do the crime, get shot, and then wonder how it could possibly happen. They whine that it is so unfair. Well, Slick, violent crime, like jumping in front of moving cars, is just a high-risk occupation, and, in case you missed it, committing violent crime makes police officers think you might not be a good person.

2. If you ignore rule No. 1, and the police confront you, DON'T RUN AWAY FROM THEM. I know it's hard to believe, but that may make them think you're guilty of something. Hiding in bushes or closets makes some cops (mostly older ones) very nervous. They might even foolishly conclude that you're up to no good!

3. If you disregard rules 1 and 2, and the cops catch up with you anyway and inform you that you are under arrest, DON'T MAKE FAST MOVEMENTS WITH YOUR HANDS. I know it sounds silly, but grabbing a shiny beer can, a dark-colored wallet, or one of those snazzy and real-looking replica guns may make police officers mistakenly believe that you are about to hurt them.

4. If you disregard rules 1, 2, and 3, and manage to get what looks like a deadly weapon into your hands, DON'T POINT IT AT THE COPS. We all know that you're basically a nice person, but that may be lost on the police officers confronting you. In their paranoia, they may even believe they need to protect themselves.

5. If you disregard rules 1, 2, 3, and 4, DON'T BE ASTONISHED IF THE COPS DO NOT INSTANTLY TURN INTO YOUR PERSONAL CONFIDANTE. They may be too preoccupied to realize that you're normally a splendid person and that you're just having a bad day. They may be too preoccupied to see that when you point a weapon at them in a threatening manner, it is just your way of crying out for help. We both know that the whole problem can be traced to the fact that your mother didn't breast feed you, but some police officers are so cynical they just don't see it.

So, there you have it. If you really apply yourself and obey even some of the rules listed above, I bet you'll avoid the vast majority of police gunfire."

Cheri Lewis
Deputy DA
Los Angeles, California
Old 05-02-2004, 08:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
OH and .. ..

6. Don't be black. White cops are afraid of black men.

7. Don't be poor.
Old 05-02-2004, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by James
OH and .. ..

6. Don't be black. White cops are afraid of black men.

7. Don't be poor.

While I personally have no experience where number 6 is concerned, I can dispute number 7 since I grew up without the proverbial pot to pi$$ in but still had a fairly easy time avoiding being shot at
Old 05-03-2004, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by KillarneyRose
While I personally have no experience where number 6 is concerned, I can dispute number 7 since I grew up without the proverbial pot to pi$$ in but still had a fairly easy time avoiding being shot at
Me, too. Although I did have a cop point a double barrel 12 guage at my head. In retrospect, a pretty funny story, but it didn't seem like it at the time.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 05-03-2004, 01:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Well all I know is HS, my mom had the cops pulled guns out on her b/c they thought she stole her OWN car, and alledging casing OUR neighborhood-if you ever saw my petite 5-foot tall mother you have to wonder...
Old 05-03-2004, 01:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Clockwork08
Well all I know is HS, my mom had the cops pulled guns out on her b/c they thought she stole her OWN car, and alledging casing OUR neighborhood-if you ever saw my petite 5-foot tall mother you have to wonder...

Umm.....did your mom ever go to court for any financial compensation? That's the gayest shit I've ever heard...and I just got back from Nor Cal.
Old 05-03-2004, 01:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
OH and .. ..

6. Don't be black.
Yeah, I thought that would be rule #1.
Old 05-03-2004, 02:06 AM
GreekChat Member

oh they settled with us, but unfortunately in our area this is not uncommon, similar things has happen to my friends
Old 05-03-2004, 10:36 AM
GreekChat Member

News flash: Not all white cops are racists. Some of the best brothers my chapters produced are police officers, and are damn fine guys who would never act differently towards non-whites in a situation where guns were drawn.

Yes, racial profiling happens. A lot. Once is too much, and it sucks. Im in full support of disciplining, firing, or incarcerating those who practice it. Fraternity parties where the occasional dumb ass paints his face black happen, too. Again, one time is too many times, and they deserve a savage ass beating, but no one on here is saying, 'Dont be black and go to a fraternity party, theyll all be in blackface and pick fights with you.'
Old 05-03-2004, 11:46 AM
Ginger

Yes, I managed to be pulled over and accused of stealing my car at 17 years old. I am white. I don't hold it against the cop or put any blame on him - he was doing his job. Luckily, we got it straightened out.
Old 05-03-2004, 11:50 AM
GreekChat Member

The best brothers from your chapter ended up as civil servants? In a non-degree field?

Quote:
Originally posted by mrblonde
News flash: Not all white cops are racists. Some of the best brothers my chapters produced are police officers, and are damn fine guys who would never act differently towards non-whites in a situation where guns were drawn.

Yes, racial profiling happens. A lot. Once is too much, and it sucks. Im in full support of disciplining, firing, or incarcerating those who practice it. Fraternity parties where the occasional dumb ass paints his face black happen, too. Again, one time is too many times, and they deserve a savage ass beating, but no one on here is saying, 'Dont be black and go to a fraternity party, theyll all be in blackface and pick fights with you.'
Old 05-03-2004, 12:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Best as in character, not GPA.

Jerkface.
Old 05-03-2004, 12:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Just teasing .. . but you know, police here in jersey are making in the neighborhood of 100 grand a year . . they should get down on their knees and thank people that do drugs for their salaries.

Quote:
Originally posted by mrblonde
Best as in character, not GPA.

Jerkface.
Old 05-03-2004, 03:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
The best brothers from your chapter ended up as civil servants? In a non-degree field?
I'm pretty sure that in the Denver area, most police departments require a bachelor's degree -- except in Denver itself, where they tend to be a little gun happy.
Old 05-03-2004, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by valkyrie
I'm pretty sure that in the Denver area, most police departments require a bachelor's degree -- except in Denver itself, where they tend to be a little gun happy.
They do tend to shoot a few people, don't they?

But the last Denver Police officer that I remember being killed in the line of duty was a PHd candidate.

The exception, of course, not the rule.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.