GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,121
0 members and 1,121 guests
No Members online

Old 04-05-2018, 09:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post
They didn't give you an actual plastic ID then and there? Even Louisiana does that. Inefficient as the OMV is, they did print my new plastic driver's license and hand it to me then and there.

The only time I had a paper document authorizing me to drive, was back when I had my learner's permit. This was back in the day when the road test included three-point turns, parallel parking, and avoiding roaming dinosaurs.
Nope, Rhode Island gives you a paper one until your plastic one comes in the mail a few days later. We're not technologically savvy enough in the Ocean State to print your license on-site, because that would require DMV competence which is lacking at every level
Old 04-05-2018, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator

My DMV story: In PA, they take 3 photos, you get your choice of which to use, and it's given to you on the way out. When I moved to IL, I hadn't completely sat down when my photo was snapped, and it was given to me on the way out.

My husband had to take both my old (PA) license and my new (IL) one to someone for the transfer of something, I forget what. The person looked at both licenses and said, "Illinois has not been good to this woman."

Another reason to hate Illinois!
Old 04-06-2018, 11:10 PM
GreekChat Member

My favorite was when I needed to get my Idaho ID. Idaho DMV would not, I repeat, would not, take a US passport as proof of citizenship. Yet they had no problem taking my EXPIRED NJ ID. I was pissed.
Old 04-07-2018, 01:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
My favorite was when I needed to get my Idaho ID. Idaho DMV would not, I repeat, would not, take a US passport as proof of citizenship. Yet they had no problem taking my EXPIRED NJ ID. I was pissed.
Ha, what? How is that even possible?

@~/~~~~
Old 04-07-2018, 10:38 PM

^ What ASTalumna06 said. How is a US passport not proof of US citizenship?

When I went to the OMV, I went loaded for bear as I wanted a REAL ID. I had my passport, my birth certificate which shows I was born in the US, my marriage certificate (as I changed my name when I got married and I wanted to be able to prove that my birth certificate was actually MY birth certificate), two utility bills and a mortgage statement showing my current address, and my Social Security card. I didn't need the birth certificate or marriage license, but I needed everything else.

Fun fact: In Louisiana, if you want a driver's license, you must present a Social Security card. If you want a non-driver ID, you only need to provide your card if you are a male between ages 16-26... so they can check that you registered for the draft.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
Ha, what? How is that even possible?
I don't even know. I was waving the damn thing at her for like 10 minutes. The best part is that they took my expired ID that I didn't even have with me because it was you know, expired. So Ihad to come back the next day with my expired ID which was good for nothing, yet my active passport which would let me into the country wasn't good enough. I was so confused.
Old 04-09-2018, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator

Karoke--#WorstInventionEVER
Old 04-09-2018, 05:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
I don't even know. I was waving the damn thing at her for like 10 minutes. The best part is that they took my expired ID that I didn't even have with me because it was you know, expired. So Ihad to come back the next day with my expired ID which was good for nothing, yet my active passport which would let me into the country wasn't good enough. I was so confused.
AND you had to leave and go back the next day? That's terrible.

I think there should be an online application system where you can scan your documents in, have them approved, receive a receipt/ticket, scan upon arriving at the DMV, get a ticket based on your request, and join the appropriate line when called. And if you have proof of an eye exam within the last 90 days, you don't have to do it at the DMV. It would make things move so much faster, and probably half the number of people would be there because there wouldn't be people showing up a second and third time because they had the incorrect documents.

If checks can now be scanned on our phones and deposited without a visit to the bank, I think the DMV can handle that!

I know, I know. Wishful thinking.

@~/~~~~
Old 04-11-2018, 02:41 AM
Super Moderator

While I was in Nashville, I wore white pants the day before Easter. **insert evil laugh right about >HERE< #Mwahahahahaha
Old 04-13-2018, 08:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Michigan is pretty much like Louisiana as far as taking a ticket and waiting. Near closing time, they start pulling together queues for different things. If you're ONLY renewing your driver's license, or ONLY license plate renewal, etc. You get your original ID with the corner cut off and void stamped on it and they staple a paper to it. This last birthday, I flew to Baltimore the day after I was at the DMV. The TSA in Detroit were cool with this makeshift ID but the TSA in Baltimore was eyeballing me like I was doing something sketchy. She said "Are you going home with this? or on your way out to somewhere?" I said I was going home and she said "Good, I don't know if everybody would let you through with this". Oy.

The one saving grace in Michigan is that if you wait all that time and then have to get additional documents, they will give you a pink tag that allows you to go to the front of the line when you return. They are also starting a thing at some offices where you can get in line from your phone on an app and show up when it's almost your turn.

We can do our license tabs by a machine or by mail, if we plan ahead and/or if the machine is working. It all stinks though.

Washington DC was not much better. My daughter and I had to wait in line two full times because they needed something else from her. Very annoying. But they asked what you were there for and you got a different ticket depending on what you were there for. They were different colors and started with different letters. It made it difficult to know when it was going to be your turn.
Old 04-14-2018, 09:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
Michigan is pretty much like Louisiana as far as taking a ticket and waiting. Near closing time, they start pulling together queues for different things. If you're ONLY renewing your driver's license, or ONLY license plate renewal, etc. You get your original ID with the corner cut off and void stamped on it and they staple a paper to it. This last birthday, I flew to Baltimore the day after I was at the DMV. The TSA in Detroit were cool with this makeshift ID but the TSA in Baltimore was eyeballing me like I was doing something sketchy. She said "Are you going home with this? or on your way out to somewhere?" I said I was going home and she said "Good, I don't know if everybody would let you through with this". Oy.
I had a similar issue with getting served a drink in Maryland with a cut-off corner Michigan driver's license. In Maryland, they produce your new ID on the spot at the DMV. I explained the Michigan process of license renewal to the server, who gave me the same "sketchy, suspicious" demeanor, then asked to see the manager, who approved my drink.

It wasn't that I wanted the drink that badly; it really just the principle of the whole thing and that my weird ID was really still the official ID when you're waiting for your new one to come in the mail a few weeks later.

It's like when you hold up your hand to show where you are from in Michigan -- it seems so obvious. Why don't non-Michiganders get that?

BTW, does everyone in the Detroit area still explain where they live by stating the nearest mile-marker intersection, as in "12 mile and Telegraph?"
Old 04-16-2018, 12:31 AM

My husband and I unpacked our wine this afternoon. Much of the wine was from my late parents' collection - Dad was a wine snob, and we found bottles with vintage years before I was born. (They are probably vinegar.)

As we unpacked the wine, we built an inventory spreadsheet. (We're engineers. We're nerds.)

So my dear husband decided to label our wine racks after the letters of the Greek alphabet. We have five wine racks and two wine/beer fridges. He labeled the wine racks Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta, and Epsilon. And he decided to name the fridges with the two Greek letters that - according to him - come after Epsilon: Phi and - "um, honey, what comes after Phi?"

He never joined a GLO, so he never had to memorize the Greek alphabet as I did. I suspect he guessed (incorrectly) that, because I'm a member of Alpha Epsilon Phi, Phi *must* be the next letter in the Greek alphabet after Epsilon. (Good job he didn't forget about Beta, Gamma, and Delta. LOL)

So I had to tell him that (a) Phi isn't anywhere near Epsilon in the Greek alphabet, (b) Chi is the next letter after Phi, (c) no, Chi is not pronounced "Chai" as in the Hebrew word for life, and (d) maybe we should just go with the NATO phonetic alphabet instead. (Which is what we went with. We both know this, as it's very useful for specifying hex numbers like MAC addresses and for spelling out our last name.)

Who wants to share the bottle of Yellow Tail Shiraz at Charlie 17/1 with me? LOL
Old 04-16-2018, 11:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post

It's like when you hold up your hand to show where you are from in Michigan -- it seems so obvious. Why don't non-Michiganders get that?

BTW, does everyone in the Detroit area still explain where they live by stating the nearest mile-marker intersection, as in "12 mile and Telegraph?"
Of course we do. How else would you tell someone where you live? It's kind of like in Jersey, they want to know which exit of the turnpike... lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post

So I had to tell him that (a) Phi isn't anywhere near Epsilon in the Greek alphabet, (b) Chi is the next letter after Phi, (c) no, Chi is not pronounced "Chai" as in the Hebrew word for life, and (d) maybe we should just go with the NATO phonetic alphabet instead. (Which is what we went with. We both know this, as it's very useful for specifying hex numbers like MAC addresses and for spelling out our last name.)
I'm loving the idea of a fridge named Eta. I can't believe you didn't go with Zeta & Eta! Of course, if it's a wine fridge... I Eta bottle of wine doesn't quite work...
Old 05-10-2018, 08:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi y'all,

It's been a while. I am now the mom of two college graduates! My son is going to go to grad school, I think, unless he gets a job offer he can't refuse between now and September.

Hypo is working as a consultant for the state department and has been to 5 continents in 4 months. She's living in DC still.

I'm cuddling with the dog on the couch- a lot. LOL. Hope you're all well!
Old 05-14-2018, 09:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Off topic, but this is really starting to bother me. Since when does self-promotion mean that you have to spit on everyone else? I’m not hurting anyone. I’m doing my own thing. My work doesn’t overlap with others. So why can’t they stop at “I am awesome! Look what I did!” Without going to and “And this is lame and your stuff is weak?”