GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,131
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, Yodap
» Online Users: 1,316
2 members and 1,314 guests
navane, Yodap

Old 11-01-2004, 08:20 PM
GreekChat Member

dirty rushing...again?!

Hello all-
just wondering if someone could help me clarify something.
there is a chapter on my campus that continually dirty rushes.
This chapter in particular, has announced their new members for their fall pledge class on their website. One of these women was someone who dropped out of FR after round #2 (night before pref.) Her name was NOT included on the COB list. So my question is, how did this girl just HAPPEN to end up at ABC sorority?
is there anything i can do regarding the NPC manual (green book)? are there any rules that help prevent this from happening?thanks for your help.
Old 11-01-2004, 08:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Talk to your school's Panhel or your Greek Life Advisor.
Old 11-01-2004, 08:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Hmmm...seems to me that any student is eligible for Continuous Open Bidding -- she doesn't have to be on a "list" (like perhaps if there is a sign-up for informal recruitment). The very term "open" bidding means that a group can pledge any woman who is not already a member of another NPC group. (Restrictions as to full-time student status or g.p.a. might also apply.)
Old 11-01-2004, 08:40 PM
GreekChat Member

yes, but aren't you wondering why this girl dropped out of formal recruitment before pref? is it just a complete coincidence that she is now in a chapter? all ladies that go through FR at our school that do not complete FR go onto a COB list. Where and how did this chapter get her contact info? (obviously during FR).
I do plan on speaking to the panhell advisor, i just want to know a little more about this in terms of what are solutions to this problem.
Old 11-01-2004, 10:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AAgammagirl
yes, but aren't you wondering why this girl dropped out of formal recruitment before pref? is it just a complete coincidence that she is now in a chapter? all ladies that go through FR at our school that do not complete FR go onto a COB list. Where and how did this chapter get her contact info? (obviously during FR).
I do plan on speaking to the panhell advisor, i just want to know a little more about this in terms of what are solutions to this problem.
Well she may have met one or more of the ladies in that chapter in class, or in the dorms, or through another student organization, or at work, or...the list goes on and on! They did not necessarily have to dirty rush to get her information.

I'm not saying that they absolutely didn't dirty rush, just that the information you gave doesn't automatically mean that they did dirty rush.
Old 11-01-2004, 10:49 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree with the above posters. It is worth investigating, but there are legitimate ways that this could happen too.

Dee
Old 11-02-2004, 08:35 AM
GreekChat Member

I think that by "investigating" this it's going to come across as sour grapes/jealousy of another chapter's success. Now if it was multiple girls, that would probably be worth investigating. But let the girl be... who knows, she just may have been mistakenly left off the list, things like that happen.

Unless you REALLY REALLY REALLY loved this girl and have strong proof something shady went down (you have zero proof of shadiness here...), don't make a big stink over it. You'll start a big rift with the other chapter and make this girl feel bad.

It's not worth it.
Old 11-02-2004, 10:33 AM
ADPiZXalum

Maybe she got a snap bid if ABC didn't make quota.
Old 11-02-2004, 11:33 AM
GreekChat Member

If a chapter is under total after formal recruitment, they may continuously openly recruit to total/quota. Post formal recruitment, they will utilize whatever means necessary--- the COB list from Greek Council, getting nongreek roommates and classmates to events, handing out flyers, "storming the dorms" or contacting any woman who dropped out of formal recruitment.

Dirty rushing means promising someone a bid before formal bids are issued, or talking to a PNM about recruitment and selling them on their chapter during strict silence, or times when Greek Council on your campus has determined it so. Rushing women at informal events post-formal is not dirty rushing.

I wouldn't concern yourself with this matter. You would benefit from reading the Green Book.

If the chapter truly is dirty rushing, you need documentation and it needs to jive with the definition.

ETA: It's also perfectly acceptable to snap-bid someone who dropped out of formal prior to prefs. I was a recruitment counselor and saw this happen with 5 of my 15 PNMs.

Last edited by adpiucf; 11-03-2004 at 11:29 AM.
Old 11-02-2004, 01:01 PM

It's perfectly allowed. It WOULD be "dirty" if they TOLD the PNM to drop out and PROMISED her a bid to their chapter through informal. You would also need proof of this.

Otherwise it's allowed. Women do not have to be on the COR list for you to contact or bid them.

Lakers Nation.
Old 11-03-2004, 06:51 PM
GreekChat Member

kddani-
you are right, this girl was someone that our chapter really, really wanted, but c'est la vie. we even asked about her at bid matching and when the COB list was released without her name on it.
anyway, although my chapter isn't the smallest on campus, i do feel sorry for those that are having trouble recruiting when other chapters such as this one do it illegally. (this same chapter held a RUSH event in the summer!!! 2 weeks before FR!!).
i have mentioned this to the proper NPC persons, but if they're not willing to do anything about it, there isn't much i can do either.
thank you to everyone for their input on this issue.

adpiucf- how do you snap-bid someone in the middle of FR who dropped out? if they didn't show up to prefs and you didn't know they dropped out, how would chapters know how to contact them without getting their info beforehand? i have never heard of this before, can you explain? this is intriguing to me. thanks.
Old 11-03-2004, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by AAgammagirl

adpiucf- how do you snap-bid someone in the middle of FR who dropped out? if they didn't show up to prefs and you didn't know they dropped out, how would chapters know how to contact them without getting their info beforehand? i have never heard of this before, can you explain? this is intriguing to me. thanks.
You know who dropped before every round- at least here @ KSU you do. She can't be snapped if she DROPPED (voluntarily left rush). But she CAN be if she was CUT (dropped by all groups). If you say she dropped, but is now in a group, it's likely that they immediately contacted her for COB afterwards and offered her a bid, which is legal.

Lakers Nation.
Old 11-03-2004, 07:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
Quote:
Originally posted by JocelynC
You know who dropped before every round- at least here @ KSU you do. She can't be snapped if she DROPPED (voluntarily left rush). But she CAN be if she was CUT (dropped by all groups). If you say she dropped, but is now in a group, it's likely that they immediately contacted her for COB afterwards and offered her a bid, which is legal.
Actually any woman who participated in formal recruitment is eligible for a snap bid. It shouldn't matter if she withdrew or was cut by all groups or didn't match at bid matching.

Per the NPC manual - aka "greek book"

Snap Bidding

Snap bidding is an option available to chapters which did not fill formal memebership recruitment quota spaces in bid matching, whether matching by hand or computer. Snap bidding is not indended to fill spaces in chapter total. Snap bidding is limited to any woman who participated in the designated formal membership recruitment.

Last edited by AZ-AlphaXi; 11-04-2004 at 07:30 PM.
Old 11-03-2004, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by AZ-AlphaXi
Actually any woman who participated in formal recruitment is eligible for a snap bid. It shouldn't matter if she withdrew or was cut by all groups or didn't match at bid matching.

Per the NPC manual - aka "greek book"

Snap Bidding

Snap bidding is an option available to chapters which did not fill formatl memebership recruitment quota spaces in bid matching, whether matching by hand or computer. Snap bidding is not indended to fill spaces in chapter total. Snap bidding is limited to any woman who participated in the designated formal membership recruitment.
Ok, so it was legal either way.

Lakers Nation.
Old 11-04-2004, 09:54 AM
GreekChat Member

so a chapter can fill quota, get a plus one and still snap-bid? (even if there was a chapter that didn't get quota?)
wow, i am certainly learning alot from you ladies!
thanks.