GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Up & Coming National GLOs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Up & Coming National GLOs This area is for discussion of issues affecting GLOs which are larger than a local, yet are still growing into a national GLO.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,479
3 members and 2,476 guests
Cookiez17, navane

Old 02-15-2001, 04:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Post We Got It

Good news: We got our Charter!!! Can't go into much detail right now -- just keeping everyone posted. Thanks for the inquiries!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-15-2001, 04:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to prospectiverushee
Smile

I'm so happy for you. That is wonderful news! Give us a update as soon as you can!
Old 02-15-2001, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Can't wait to hear about the new sorority coming to the FSU campus. Let us know your charter affiliation when you can!

Barb
Old 02-15-2001, 07:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to equeen
AWESOME!!

I look forward to hearing all about it!

------------------

@-->---
Pure as Silver, and True Blue!
Alpha Sigma Kappa - Women in Technical Studies
Old 02-15-2001, 08:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorry, I won't be revealing anything anytime soon. We've only been given the charter -- now we actually have to EARN our letters. Until then, I can't claim them. Wish us luck.
Old 02-15-2001, 09:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Asia2000:
Sorry, I won't be revealing anything anytime soon. We've only been given the charter -- now we actually have to EARN our letters. Until then, I can't claim them. Wish us luck.
That's so awesome! CONGRATS! I wish you all the luck in the world! Please keep us posted your progress!
ZC4L
Old 02-16-2001, 08:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Congrats! That must be SOOOOO exciting! Good luck!

Love Allie
Old 02-16-2001, 10:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Congrats!!

Keep us updated!!
Old 02-19-2001, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Quote:
Originally posted by Asia2000:

I find this an interesting, but somewhat difficult to understand, statement. In the NPC, when you become a colony you are allowed to wear letters and other paraphrenalia once you have undergone the formal new member and colony rituals. In some groups, like mine, only initiated sisters can wear our crest. Colonies do have to meet certain membership and financial criteria before they become an official chapter, but they are encouraged to let everyone know that they are now a colony of XYZ.

I find it a little odd that this organization has agreed to let you represent them - obviously you've met their criteria as an interest group - but doesn't let you advertise your upcoming membership in that organization.

I know that some GLOs equate wearing just letters as a big step in their membership process, but those incoming members should (at least) be able to tell their friends and family the group in which they are members.

Maybe I'm just old-fashioned. I also think some portions of the membership process for some (not all) of the LGLO, BGLO and AGLO groups should be considered hazing.
Old 02-19-2001, 11:27 AM
GreekChat Member

I am sorry that this makes you uncomfortable. Rest assured, this does not in any support any type of hazing. However, we prefer to use discretion in matters pertaining to our business. We are not members of the NPC here, we are members of the MCC.
Old 02-19-2001, 10:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PnguinTrax:
Asia2000,
I did not mean to imply that your current process was hazing in any way. . . .
Unfortunately, those times when I've tried to gain further understanding in these areas, it's been difficult to get anyone to be candid and educational.
No harm, no foul! We look forward to doing many activities with NPC orgs in the future (if we should be so blessed!). I wish that there was a way for you to further understand the different processes. However, discretion is so very important to many of these organizations. If you have any questions, please ask, and I'll do my best to answer as fully as I can -- although, I am still in the educational process, so I may be of no help anyway!

Old 02-20-2001, 12:50 AM
Super Moderator

Asia2000,

I did not mean to imply that your current process was hazing in any way. I only meant that in addition to not understanding the membership processes of other groups, some of the actions that are 'public' during a group's process can be viewed as hazing.

Unfortunately, those times when I've tried to gain further understanding in these areas, it's been difficult to get anyone to be candid and educational. I have a deep love for the fraternity concept and want to learn all I can about it, not just the NPC/NIC processes with which I am more familiar.

I know you are not affiliating with an NPC group and I know that when you are proudly wearing your letters it will be one of the happiest days of your life. I wish you all good things and look forward to a day when we can (maybe) meet on campus and introduce ourselves.

Keep us posted and if there is anything I can do, either as a ZTA alumna or as a member of the Tallahassee Alumnae Panhellenic, please let me know.

Fraternally,
Barbara