GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,364
1 members and 1,363 guests
znathanhulzeo24

Old 11-11-2019, 04:50 PM
GreekChat Member

This is honestly such a good thread to read, because regardless of political thought, I can truly see both see both sides of the argument. As a high school teacher, these kids are fresh out of high school, and they are YOUNG. I am so thankful that I attended college without facebook, instagram, twitter, snap chat (which I can't figure out), and whatever nonsense is out there. I believe that if we all look back, and had constant documentation of our behaviors, we wouldn't be half as quick to judge these kids. Kudos to KKG for dealing with this is a prompt manner, as adults we should all work to educate this student instead of throwing her under the bus, she made a mistake, own it, help her. I personally have a no social media policy with my own kids, the rule is currently sitting at no social media until you are done with college. As adults we have been educated and taught the difference between right and wrong (hopefully), raising kids doesn't just end at 18, thank god, or I would have never grown up!!!!
Old 11-12-2019, 07:52 AM
GreekChat Member

These kids aren't living under a rock. If this was fifteen years ago when this stuff was in its infancy, I could see where there was no precedent. But we've all seen major celebs taken down by Twitter and such. If you live on social media like most of these kids do, I can't see it coming as a surprise that people judge you for what you post (frankly...isn't that the point of posting for a lot of people?)

I think to say it's going to "ruin their lives" is taking it too far. Isn't the girl from Maryland (of "I will c*nt punt you for not having fun at Greek week" fame) writing articles now? This won't make anyone look good, but in a few years no one will remember what happened except in the really big cases. And half the time the person's name isn't even released.

I'm more concerned with the racial disparities in the CJ system that brand 18 year olds as felons for life for doing something that would be a summary offense in college. But since no one here seems to believe this disparity exists (despite evidence), I am not going to argue the point.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by *winter* View Post
These kids aren't living under a rock. If this was fifteen years ago when this stuff was in its infancy, I could see where there was no precedent. But we've all seen major celebs taken down by Twitter and such. If you live on social media like most of these kids do, I can't see it coming as a surprise that people judge you for what you post (frankly...isn't that the point of posting for a lot of people?)

I think to say it's going to "ruin their lives" is taking it too far. Isn't the girl from Maryland (of "I will c*nt punt you for not having fun at Greek week" fame) writing articles now? This won't make anyone look good, but in a few years no one will remember what happened except in the really big cases. And half the time the person's name isn't even released.

I'm more concerned with the racial disparities in the CJ system that brand 18 year olds as felons for life for doing something that would be a summary offense in college. But since no one here seems to believe this disparity exists (despite evidence), I am not going to argue the point.
You're making the point. These incidents are widely known with consequences. Yet they keep happening. Why? Young adult brains aren't quite there yet.
Old 11-12-2019, 12:30 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree- it's probably the same reason binge drinkers keep dying on college campuses. At that age, you genuinely believe it won't happen to you. It might happen to someone, but they don't seem to grasp the fact that they could be the "someone." Can't say I was different at that age, either:
Old 11-21-2019, 05:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriDeltaSallie View Post
It's a sick world the virtue signaling left wants us to live in.
Oh man, TriDeltaSallie. I really want to give you a hug right now and sit down for a long coffee with you. Not because I agree with what you've said. Totally the opposite. It's because I think people who disagree so drastically in this day and age really should sit down together and take time to intentionally seek common ground.

I consider myself pretty left, and I was totally agreeing with a lot of what you said...until you said that last bit. I would hope that if we sat down for a real conversation, you wouldn't turn around and say these things about me the way you've said them here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriDeltaSallie View Post
And we wonder why high school and college kids are so stressed out, depressed, hurting themselves, abusing drugs, etc. today? They make one stupid mistake and everyone is ready to ruin their lives and the lives of everyone they associate with.

I'm thankful my sisters and advisors operated in a kinder world where we were allowed to try, fail, and learn. We admonished plenty of sisters to grow up in different ways, sometimes in serious ways, but we never thought that the answer was to destroy them. That's not love. That's abuse.
Ya- I totally agree that these are huge issues for kids and agree with your assessment about teaching people to do and think for themselves and giving them the space to fail.

I totally agree that we've swung too punitive and less compassionate. And I think part of that comes from the divide in society today. It feels like people are less willing to really hear opposite opinions, and our faith in others' ability to grow and correct their mistakes is almost gone.

I have two young kids, so I've been reading a lot (too many?) parenting books that talk about this exact problem:
How to Raise an Adult
The Price of Privilege
The Gift of Failure

But the take here is less political and it's more about the pressures we place on kids to be perfect, the crazy over-scheduling, the protection from any kind of failure, the bubble-wrapping, and the inadvertent short-circuiting of the essential growing-up process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmadiva View Post
I think there are some deeper social and cultural issues that have an impact, but simply put, I think that the need to sue at the slightest inkling that you've been wronged is a cause. I think it comes from the past 25 / 30 years where you had to pick a side (Rush Limbaugh). Some of the current news is being blown out of proportion to fill a 24/7 news cycle. As I said too, the internet is forever.

Growing up I was taught to not do anything you don't want to see on the front page of a news paper.

The internet will take some 'ho-hum' not so exciting events and will just amplify these events out of proportion.

The cause is just the advance of technology.

I was an undergrad Greek back in the late 80's / early 90's and I'm sure worse things were said and done by all Greeks at that time. Did we have facebook, twitter, snapchat, tik tok? No. So yeah, people behaved just as badly back then, but what they did was not captured in a way that it would last forever.

I think both sides need to realize there is a spectrum of activity and that it is not either / or.

The reason kids and young adults are so physically and mentally ill is because the internet is on all the time. They won't give themselves a break from it because of FOMO.

Should people loose their jobs because of what they said / did years ago, again, it depends.
YES! Everything you've said here, and more.

There are myriad reasons. I think it does us all a disservice to ignore the complexities here.