GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 2,395
0 members and 2,395 guests
No Members online

Old 12-22-2011, 12:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
Has anyone ever thought of a Field Trip to Indianapolis, to see all of the different Headquarters & their goodies? Granted, we don't see a few (like ADPi, Phi Mu, and Chi O for starters), but Indy does seem to have the motherlode of HQ's.
And Kappa & DG in Columbus! Next time I go to Kappa HQ I'm going to try to get to the DG HQ as well.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Lane swerve from the gorgeous vintage opal Alpha Xi badge (and talk of HQs and meeting up, lol), but in my post initiation/installation picture frenzy (a month ago, already!), I was able to take some pictures of not only my badge but also my MIT pin alongside it, for comparison. I know the actual badge has been posted before, but I don't remember the MIT pin having been, so I thought it'd be something new (well, sort of, since the MIT pin is integrated into our badge anyway).

Badge and MIT pin:

My favorite pic I took of just the badge:

And a pic of the back:

One of the pearls likes to hide under the pipe on the left, lol.

Old 12-22-2011, 12:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Unarose, your SAI badge is gorgeous! Congrats on being a charter member.

I can't get over the quality of the opals in the A Xi D badge. There is also so much beautiful detail in the feathers on the badge. It definitely must be older simply because of the quality.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:08 AM
GreekChat Member

I love how the MIT pin for SAI is such a large part of the badge.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
So for funsies, I sent a note to the seller to see if by chance they had any information that they could share about the AXiD opal badge. I'm sure they dont, but it doesn't hurt to try!
Old 12-22-2011, 02:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xidelt View Post
Unarose, your SAI badge is gorgeous! Congrats on being a charter member.
Thank you! (I think it's gorgeous, too, and consider being a charter member of my chapter to be one of my most special accomplishments. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
I love how the MIT pin for SAI is such a large part of the badge.
Isn't it great? I actually geeked out at how the MIT pin is larger than the panpipes of the actual badge.

lovespink88, I hope they are able to share something about it. Crossing my fingers!

Old 12-22-2011, 02:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespink88 View Post
This auction just ended for this Alpha Xi Delta quill:

Sold for $1,256!!!

I'd really love to know the history of this. As far as I know, Alpha Xi has never made a quill with 3 large gems in the center and lined with smaller ones up the side, so it seems like this is very custom. Plus, there's no date, which makes it even more interesting. Oh and not to mention the OPALS!
Sorry, back to the opals for one more comment. no one noted thus far: the letters on this pin are applied, not molded in as part of the die. AND, they are different size fonts, likely custom cut. The clasp is ~1900 style. And finally, it has superb patina on the back!

I have seen more modern plain quills with 3 prong-set gems on the front, but none with both gems along the spine & prong-set combined. Truly phenomenal.
Old 12-22-2011, 03:48 AM
GreekChat Member

To answer the question, the number of stones (traditionally pearls) does not have a significance, and I would agree that the 3 stones is typically a compromise between price and bling. I generally hate the look of 3 stones but man oh man I love that quill. That's additionally weird because I generally don't like opals unless they are REALLY fiery. I didn't know until I went to Australia years ago that opals weren't supposed to be milky white which I always thought was ugly and could never understand why people liked opals.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTheta View Post
Yes, Gusteau, you have; otherwise I wouldn't have remarked on it.
Maybe is some people posted more badges...

I know, I know! I used to be the king of opal badge finding, but I'm telling you this gainful employment thing is taking up so much time! We need to recruit a badge nerd college student to take up my torch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaokite View Post
Sorry, back to the opals for one more comment. no one noted thus far: the letters on this pin are applied, not molded in as part of the die. AND, they are different size fonts, likely custom cut. The clasp is ~1900 style. And finally, it has superb patina on the back!

I have seen more modern plain quills with 3 prong-set gems on the front, but none with both gems along the spine & prong-set combined. Truly phenomenal.
I was hoping you would come along and drop a serious knowledge bomb on us! The letters - OMG, I was so distracted by the engraving behind them. I am very curious as to this badge's story.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:34 PM
GreekChat Member

The pin/ permanent pendant that was my birthday/ Christmas present arrived! It was supposed to take 6 weeks, but it came in 2 1/2. Woo-hoo! These are the best of the pictures I was able to get, and they aren't all that great. Oh, well. I only have a point and shoot camera/ phone, so they will have to do. I tried to capture a few different angles to show you the depth.
Full crown turquoise, white gold. (ADPi's 160th limited edition badge.)

Old 12-22-2011, 04:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
adpi*violet, that is truly lovely!
Old 12-22-2011, 05:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpi*violet View Post
The pin/ permanent pendant that was my birthday/ Christmas present arrived! It was supposed to take 6 weeks, but it came in 2 1/2. Woo-hoo! These are the best of the pictures I was able to get, and they aren't all that great. Oh, well. I only have a point and shoot camera/ phone, so they will have to do. I tried to capture a few different angles to show you the depth.
Full crown turquoise, white gold. (ADPi's 160th limited edition badge.)

Those turquoise are amazing! I love the height on the vertical shot, too. Lucky lady.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 12-22-2011, 05:37 PM

Oh adpi*violet, that's gorgeous!
Old 12-22-2011, 06:35 PM
GreekChat Member

AH! *dies*

So amazing (and pinned to Pinterest LOL)!
Old 12-22-2011, 06:53 PM
GreekChat Member

DubaiSis- thanks for the answer!

adpi*violet, that is lovely. The badge holder is custom, right? It is the perfect style for the turquoise. I love my key, but I am just a tiny bit jealous of all those badges out there that can have shaped badge holders. This one really sets off the badge!