GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Locals

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,207
0 members and 1,207 guests
No Members online

Old 09-09-2009, 08:03 PM
GreekChat Member

WOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
Sororities have their history on their website, but they usually don't include anything that might be seen as damaging to another organization.

You can be proud of your history all you want, but I find your written history tacky...and I know I'm not the only one.
OTW-thanks for adding the link. The tacky history is still there. I find it interesting that they don't want to be part of a certain NPC, yet they kept the first two letters of that NPC. I think it is def. in poor taste to have that on their site. They could have just left it at not believing in the same things as that GLO and not adding more to the description.

Poor Site. Poor Taste. Just Tacky.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Sharing a name - Alpha Phi Omega

When Alpha Phi Omega (now refered to as a National Service Fraternity) was founded in 1925, there were at least 5 locals that had the name Alpha Phi Omega. None of those locals still exist, however the one at Ripon College still existed as of the time that we expanded to the school in the 1950s. I think there was a stretch of about 5 years with Alpha Phi Omega, National Service Fraternity and Alpha Phi Omega, local social fraternity both existed. The local affiliated with Phi Delta Theta. However this still occasionally leads people to try to add Spencer Tracy (who was a brother of the local Alpha Phi Omega at Ripon in the 1920s) to lists of Notable alumni.

Schools with local Alpha Phi Omega fraternities include Ripon, North Georgia Agricultual College, North Dakota Agricultural College, Wake Forest (which affiliated with Pi Kappa Alpha) and U of Texas school of Mines.

I've got some old pins for Alpha Phi Omega that I've bought on eBay that I'm absolutely sure aren't for Alpha Phi Omega, National Service Fraternity. Sort of interesting to see the reaction of brothers at events when you bring them out.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LocalDGPhi139
There's a Delta Gamma Phi Fraternity somewhere, (we're the sorority version) but I forget where. Anybody know?

Old 09-19-2009, 07:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by als463 View Post
OTW-thanks for adding the link. The tacky history is still there. I find it interesting that they don't want to be part of a certain NPC, yet they kept the first two letters of that NPC. I think it is def. in poor taste to have that on their site. They could have just left it at not believing in the same things as that GLO and not adding more to the description.

Poor Site. Poor Taste. Just Tacky.
They kept a lot more than just the letters...I wonder how much of their ritual sounds like KDs?! I agree...tacky!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 01-20-2010, 12:42 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm in the process of starting a new local sorority at my school...Kappa Gamma Delta...and I thought I'd avoided using letters already in use, but looking through here I found another one at the University of Rio Grande.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boleyn21 View Post
I'm in the process of starting a new local sorority at my school...Kappa Gamma Delta...and I thought I'd avoided using letters already in use, but looking through here I found another one at the University of Rio Grande.
Kappa Gamma Delta is also a medical sorority with more than one chapter. There are a few chapters around California.
Old 06-11-2010, 03:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
I've got some old pins for Alpha Phi Omega that I've bought on eBay that I'm absolutely sure aren't for Alpha Phi Omega, National Service Fraternity. Sort of interesting to see the reaction of brothers at events when you bring them out.
I have a vintage Omega Phi Alpha badge that I know is not ours, but it's special to me anyway. I wish I could find out more about the source! In the meantime, I'll take good care of it for them.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPhiAGinger View Post
I have a vintage Omega Phi Alpha badge that I know is not ours, but it's special to me anyway. I wish I could find out more about the source! In the meantime, I'll take good care of it for them.
I know of two other Omega Phi Alpha's. A long time local at University of the Pacific that just went National with Delta Upsilon about 4 years ago. (http://www1.pacific.edu/student/opa/ is an old web page for them, google for "omega phi alpha" "university of the pacific" for a *lot* more.)

and one at Polytechnic University in New York (http://www.omegaphialpha.com). One of those could be the match.

Randy
Old 06-11-2010, 04:48 PM
GreekChat Member

I know there are two local Delta Tau Sigma sororities. The older one is located at my school, though. I know the one at my school wants to begin working on expansion so they can keep their name. :P
Old 07-19-2010, 06:28 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm part of Sigma Lambda Gamma in Canada - it's a local sorority at the University of Waterloo, but it's also a Latina sorority in the U.S.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:13 AM
GreekChat Member

This thread is disheartening. I am sad to see the assumptions about a local GLO. Yes it may feature something on their website that you disagree with, but I believe that it is very unfair to assume things about the organization based off of its website. Granted the history may make individuals feel uncomfortable and may be controversial, but to make assumptions about said organization is also inappropriate.

Last edited by rollthedice; 09-16-2010 at 12:19 AM.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by als463 View Post
OTW-thanks for adding the link. The tacky history is still there. I find it interesting that they don't want to be part of a certain NPC, yet they kept the first two letters of that NPC.
Could it be that they did that to honor their CHAPTER sisters, so they wouldn't feel so out of it if they returned as alumnae to a completely differently named group?

Plenty of groups break away from their national and use their chapter designation (given to them by the national!) as their new name. I don't see where that is any better.
Old 09-28-2010, 02:49 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm in a local at the University of Wyoming called Delta Vega!! completely UNRELATED to 1: the planet Captain Kirk gets exiled onto in the newest Star Trek movie, and 2: I guess Delta Vega is also a planet that is mentioned in the LDS Church if I'm not mistaken... kinda wierd but both are UNRELATED to our local... I donno if that counts? hahah
Old 10-04-2010, 08:43 PM
GreekChat Member

We researched our name prior to choosing it and as far as we know, no one has the same one as us. Please feel free to inform me otherwise.

Zeta Phi Lambda
Old 11-11-2010, 02:24 AM
GreekChat Member

i wanna start 1. alpha zeta alpha