GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,071
2 members and 1,069 guests
No Members online

Old 09-29-2017, 09:48 AM
GreekChat Member

New book: "True Gentlemen"

"True Gentlement: the Broken Pledge of America's Fraternities.
I just learned about this recently-published book. Has anyone read it yet?

https://www.csmonitor.com/Books/Book...ooks_(09-29-17)

Last edited by AGDAlum; 09-29-2017 at 09:49 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 09-29-2017, 11:07 AM

Sensationalism, cherry picked statistics and broad assumptions (aka all fraternity members are rich). Sounds to me like a male version of "Pledged." Next.
Old 09-29-2017, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator

FTA:

Quote:
["The author] has made a far more valuable to contribution to American college life than any fraternity ever could."
Usually the CSM is a pretty fair publication, but this quote is just absurd. The author is going to probably go on a tour of some B rated radio programs to promote his book, then he'll soon fade into obscurity and all will be forgotten.

He doesn't make any points we don't already know about. This contributes nothing to the conversation. Nor, if it suggests that eliminating the Greek system as a solution, does it present any sort of rational or possible solution to the perceived problems.

And really, Sigma Alpha Epsilon might have a nice little lawsuit on their hands. The title of the book, "True Gentlemen," seems problematic as does the statement "Undergraduate women at colleges across the country will tell you that SAE stands for 'Sexual Assault Expected.'"
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 09-29-2017, 05:07 PM
GreekChat Member

The NIC sent out a note about it, apparently SAE and some others got an early preview to it and have some responses crafted, but I haven't gotten much into the book itself.
Instagram
FraternityMan.com
Old 10-01-2017, 06:43 AM
Super Moderator

Yawn.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Sigh. Let's try this again. Typed it out a few days ago but it disappeared when I went to post.

Apparently I bought this book some time ago and it automatically uploaded to my Kindle when it was released last week. Read the whole thing in a day. A light read. Mostly what you'd expect.

Chapter on hazing/alcohol (incident with the Ivy League kid who was kidnapped), chapter on rape, chapter on Alabama (this was insightful). Also covered racism and some deaths. Hate to say it, but it's become the meat and potatoes of any book on Greek Life these days. Then he goes into the past, found its of SAE and such, and then the future. The section on the "future" is kind of nice- he devotes an entire chapter to the story of a chapter and its adviser, and it is one of the most touching stories of brotherhood I've ever read, anywhere. I was almost in tears. He definetly redeemed himself there. He talked about Brad Cohen and how pledging was eliminated, and relates some statistics since the change.

The usual stereotypes are presented, but the interviews with actual brothers present SAE in a fair light. (Actives, not former brothers). The chapter on Alabama was full of well-spoken young men who seemed amenable to pledging a black man, should the opportunity arise. Maybe they talk a good game, IDK, but I found myself believing them.

The chapter on rape is the biggest problem I had with the book. NONE of the people involved are SAEs, or even students at the university! Clearly this is a RM problem for the chapter (I will give them a pass that one was the DJ). But it doesn't convince me that these brothers are rapists. It was an unfortunate thing that happened. A DJ assaulting someone could happen at a football party, a graduation party, etc.

I'm glad that he didn't give a lot of press time to that windbag Andrew Lohse, who is only mentioned in passing.

Overall, besides the brotherhood story, nothing new here. We all know RM issues happen, historically white fraternities had exclusion rules during their history, hazing deaths unfortunately happen. Same old story.
Old 10-03-2017, 09:44 AM
GreekChat Member

I finished reading this as well and thought of inserting any fraternity chapter as the subject of the book. Yes, it was specific to SAE incidents, but I know my organization could provide similar incidents.

The Ohio State advisor story was the most touching. It was a real testament to the good that fraternity membership could and should be.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:11 PM
GreekChat Member

We all know, that we can read books written by others or outsiders who may have an agenda in some form.
As above poster stated we can all plug in our or any GLO and there could or would be a fit right?

So I guess the question we must ask our selves is what to do about it?

Can we really do anything about it?

Some GLO's go hog wild over closing Chapters while others not so much but give lip service.

The three main problems are Booze, Drugs, and Hazing! So Again what can we do?

The NIC is toothless and seem to do very little if anything for all Fraternities except cost money!

The T V Show Bull had a great episode on this last Tuesday night about the death of a pledge of a Fraternity K K T. Worth the watch as could hit close to home.

I must admit, LXA has one of the largest staff of Chapter ELC's of any, but can only visit once a Semester and a lot can go on in the mean time. I know only to well as I have seen it as an involved Alum.

So, my observations are:

1. Nationals/College cannot blame the whole chapter for hazing?
2. Need to work with The Schools on any major problems.
3. Do not shut down whole Chapters for something done by the few.

But look into it first before snap decisions are made!

Any thing I cannot stand is an Active Member say, "Well I went Through It"! That is when I would love to slap the hell out of them!!!!!

Just my rant for a minute! LOL!

LX Z # 1
Alumni