GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,471
3 members and 2,468 guests
No Members online

Old 09-12-2002, 03:36 PM
GreekChat Member

squirrely girl,
I'm certain he'll enjoy himself. Remember, he is also 24 years old and has his values in order, (his military experience being the obvious example of this) so choosing a group of men with whom he wants to establish a brotherhood is probably a great pleasure for him.
Good luck!
thanks again for posting his story, I've enjoyed it so much.
violets
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-13-2002, 01:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to squirrely girl
back again! not a whole lot to update ya on, but here goes.

Last night was the pref dinner. Fraternity number 5 had their's start at 4.30, so Bill (my fiance by the way) couldn't go to it. i don't think he minded all that much though. Fraternity number 3 had their's at a restuarant called "texas roadhouse". the place is pretty good and bill said he enjoyed all of the food. once again he was the only guy there so he got to really spend some quality time with the brothers. he had such a great time that he ended up back at their house for a couple of hours. he strolled in 'bout 11 that night all like "hun i'm sorry i'm spending so much time with them. they're just really great guys. and i like spending time with them." LOL - he ALWAYS got on my case 'bout spending "too much" time with my sisters. i think that is SOOOOOOOOO funny. ah well though. if and when he gets a bid on saturday we'll both be going to the party. sooooooooo...tonight is open night again and he'll be hanging with them for prolly most of the night, but that's okay. i think it's sooooooo great that he's making some friends over at school that are more like himself.

yeah!!!!!!

guess we'll find out tomorrow at noon what he gets. sorry that i haven't shared names so far, i just think that it might be unfair or kinda not cool. but i'll let ya'll know the groups at the school and the one he pledges tomorrow or sunday sometime.

marissa
A GD
Old 09-15-2002, 01:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to gphiangel624
I think it's great that there's finally a rush thread for the guys! What are the chapters on campus that he's rushing? You don't have to say what number goes with what chapter, but I'm interested!
Old 09-15-2002, 02:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Tink16 Send a message via Yahoo to Tink16
Smile So interesting

I sat here and read this entire thread cause it was so interesting!!! thanks for sharing. we usually only hear about how the girls' rushing (recruitment) goes. I can't wait to read where he ends up!!
Old 09-15-2002, 07:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to squirrely girl
well ladies and gentlemen, i was gonna post 'bout open night on friday, but it was pretty much the same old thing. he had a great time...blah blah...jk. HA HA! he did have a great time though. so saturday 'bout noon he went to pick up his bids (he was allowed to get two through formal rush) and he got bids from...

number 3 and number 5!

duh?!?!

however, he says he felt and still feels more comfy with number 3 so my fiance is now a happy pledge of ...

Alpha Gamma Rho!

Yeah!

Yes it's known as an agricultural group, but apparently even the president has a different major. i think that they're just a bunch of fun lovin' country boys! overall, a great group. they threw a party last night and i finally got to meet all of them. sweet guys but they do know how to have fun. thank you all for reading this post. i hope you enjoyed it a little.

btw, the other fraternities on campus are kappa sigma (number 5!!!) <---- i LOVE these guys and they're all like "we're sad not to get you buy we love the AGR's and feel free to party with us anytime" BUT,i love the AGR's now too of course. heh heh. the remaining three (without numbers) are sigma chi, sigma phi epsilon, and pi kappa alpha.

so now we've got an AGD and an AGR!

alpha gam love and mine,
marissa

edited to add my name. lol.
A GD
Old 09-15-2002, 09:11 AM

How exciting! Congrats to Marissa's boyfriend for joining Alpha Gamma Rho! Sounds like the Kappa Sig's are class acts from their comments. Hurrah for everyone!

Thanks for sharing,
Christin
Old 09-15-2002, 11:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations to your fiance Marissa! I just knew it was AGRho the whole time, but that's probably cause they sounded just like the guys at my school. When I was a freshman and sophomore they had a really laid back, awesome chapter just like you described. They were smaller, but still had probably around 20 members or so and I loved hanging out with them. Unfortunately by the time I graduated they were down to only a couple guys because they had so many graduate (and because the university pretty much shut down the ag program).

But they were great guys, and I wish your fiance the best with his chapter!
Old 09-15-2002, 02:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Congrats
Old 09-15-2002, 07:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations to your fiance and congratulations to the men of Alpha Gamma Rho!!!
violets
Old 09-15-2002, 08:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Tink16 Send a message via Yahoo to Tink16
yah!

Tell him Congrats from all of us!! Great thread BTW.
Old 09-15-2002, 10:16 PM
GreekChat Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by squirrely girl

Fraternity #2 - This is the house that caused the pizza fire last time. He said that this house was just okay. They had a couple of alums from '69 and '71 over there who made short little speeches. My fiance is former military and he didn't like the idea of "draft dodgers" speaking to everybody. I tried to explain to him that all fraternities had members during the Vietnam years, but he said "those guys aren't my hero's and I don't respect them, so I didn't really want to hear them speak". Other than that, no fires tonight and the guys, overall, weren't bad.

Congrats and I'm glad to hear that your fiance got the house he wanted. Sounds like a happy ending to a fun story.
One minor point I'd like to raise. I am curious to know how he figures that anyone from the classes of '69 and '71 were automatically draft dodgers. My Dad is class of '67 and he served two tours in Viet Nam, both times as a company commander and during his second tour he was acting Battalion Commander for almost six months. He has a Silver Star, three Bronze Stars, an L.O.M, and a Purple Heart among other decorations. Among his junior officers were guys from the classes of '68, '69, and '70 and they were not draft dodgers. They were ROTC cadets who graduated and then took up leadership positions as platoon leaders in combat. Dad says they all did well, served honorably, and were first rate officers. Incidentally, all were Greek. Dad's lieutenants were SAEs, KAs, Betas, one SAM, one Phi Delt, and DEKEs. His experience was that most of the ROTC and a lot of the OCS officers he knew were Greek. Incidentaly, I found the same to be true. A large number of advanced course ROTC guys were Greek and almost all of the Marine PLC guys were also. As I recall we had 2 Marines, 2 Air Force, 4 Navy, and 3 Army in my house alone (counting juniors and seniors) when I graduated. I don't know how it is at your school but I believe that greek support for service to our country is pretty strong across the whole country.
Please ask your fiance to check this out as I would not like him to think Viet Nam era Greeks were draft dodgers but rather guys who pitched in and did their duty irregardless of how they might have felt about the war. Thanks, and congrats again.
Old 09-15-2002, 11:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to nwsigkap
Quote:
Originally posted by pbear19
Congratulations to your fiance Marissa! I just knew it was AGRho the whole time, but that's probably cause they sounded just like the guys at my school.
I was thinking the same thing! We're doing homecoming float with AGR this fall, and I'm looking forward to a great time! Only difference between AGR @ your school and Northwest is the numbers. While your school has 35ish, our AGR floats around 80-100, and is usually the biggest or second biggest fraternity here numberwise.