GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 2,384
0 members and 2,384 guests
No Members online

Old 11-01-2006, 11:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Just wanted to post an update about Gamma Phi Beta at Alabama, as there was some discussion about SDT and Gamma Phi earlier in the thread ....

After snap bidding and COB, the fall pledge class is up to nearly 50 women! This is great for the chapter. I've met some of the new members and they seem like a great group.
Old 11-04-2006, 01:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
Cover up the Beta? I have never heard of such and I can't figure out why they'd do that!
Old post, but since all three letters are on a lot of Pi Phi's sorority jackets, pledges I met had buttons covering up the "B." Probably deals with the "three letters in a row" deal?
Old 11-22-2006, 07:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speechpath View Post
Back in my day it was that way too, you could wear Pi Phi, Pi Beta Phi (written out) or the greek letters Pi and Phi but not all three greek letters together. However in current times, most chapters don't do that anymore as it could be seen as hazing. Of course, back then we waited 12 weeks till initiation too compared to the mere 8 they wait now, she'll be wearing your gifts in no time!
Old posts I am pulling up, but I was reading through Pi Phi ones... bored at home for thanksgiving...

When I was a new member and active we did the same thing. No Beta. You could wear it written out, but thats it. So on initiation everyone would talk of you becoming a new sister and how you got your beta. I won't go into all the details on here, but the pledge pin has a beta on it... I actually do not find anything wrong with not wearing letters until initiated. Like someone said before there are certain aspects of the chapter you do not participate in until then either. I am not aware of what our chapter does currently though on this.
Old 11-23-2006, 02:09 AM
GreekChat Member

I think not wearing letters until intiation makes intiation more special, and it makes the whole new member process seem more worth while. I can't see wearing letters with real pride until after then. Why should all new members get to wear letters without even knowing what the sorority really stands for and all the ideals behind it? Our nationals say you can wear letters before then but I dunno. I personally don't like it.
Old 11-23-2006, 12:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DreamfulSpirit
For us, you can't wear the actual letters until your activated. You can wear the letters written out. Usually bigs will give their littles a rush t-shirt, which usually has the letters written out, and then the pledge class will design their own t-shirts to give to their bigs, and those also have them written out. But until you're activated, you can't wear the actual letters. I agree, I think it makes it more special to wait until then to actually wear your letters!
Old 11-23-2006, 02:46 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by emily0325 View Post
Our nationals say you can wear letters before then but I dunno. I personally don't like it.
I'm going to be nitpicky here, but it's not "nationals".

AGD is international, and it's IHQ.