GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Xi Delta

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,025
2 members and 1,023 guests
Sarak24034, Sen's Revenge

Old 06-23-2006, 03:38 PM
GreekChat Member

a GLO question

Some of my sisters and I the other day were trying to figure out these groups that supposedly are GLO's but have wacky names like FIJI and FarmHouse... um no greek letters there... are these simply national nicknames for organizations or are they like traditional fraternities and sororities without the actual letters...

this is one of those weird little thigns that gets under you skin when you can't find the answer but is just random info... any one who knows an answer just drop a post
Old 06-23-2006, 03:43 PM
GreekChat Member

FIJI is Phi Gamma Delta. They don't write out their Greek letters out of respect.

FarmHouse and a few others (Triangle, Ceres) are Fraternities, and therefore are ususally classified in with GLOs.
Old 06-23-2006, 03:46 PM
GreekChat Member

I believe that FIJI actually has letters - Phi Gamma Delta- and do not wear them because they have great respect for them.

Others such as FarmHouse and Ceres aren't GLO's per se but are Fraternities and Sororities, just with different names.
Old 06-23-2006, 03:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog
FIJI is Phi Gamma Delta. They don't write out their Greek letters out of respect.

FarmHouse and a few others (Triangle, Ceres) are Fraternities, and therefore are ususally classified in with GLOs.
Darn your mad typing skills .. and the fact I couldn't remember FIJI's letters
Old 06-23-2006, 03:47 PM
GreekChat Member

so Farmhouse, Ceres, Triangle etc are fraternities without letters of any kind.... still not sure i get how this is possible

isn't a fraternity by common definition a GLO e.g HAS LETTERS
Old 06-23-2006, 03:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille
Darn your mad typing skills .. and the fact I couldn't remember FIJI's letters

And I was even nice about it. No "go do a search". I think the rain stopping and the sun coming out had something to do with that.
Old 06-23-2006, 03:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXiD_ME
isn't a fraternity by common definition a GLO e.g HAS LETTERS
No, the Masons are a fraternity, as are the Knights of Colombus and the Lion's Club. You could probably consider Eastern Star and Red Hats a sorority if you want to get technical, although I doubt anyone would.

Dictionary.com:

fra·ter·ni·ty ( P ) Pronunciation Key (fr-tûrn-t)
n. pl. fra·ter·ni·ties
A body of people associated for a common purpose or interest, such as a guild.
A group of people joined by similar backgrounds, occupations, interests, or tastes: the fraternity of bird watchers.
A chiefly social organization of men students at a college or university, usually designated by Greek letters.
Roman Catholic Church. A sodality.
The quality or condition of being brothers; brotherliness.

Nowhere does it say ANYTHING about HAVING to have Greek letters.

ETA: While we're at it:

so·ror·i·ty ( P ) Pronunciation Key (s-rôr-t, -rr-)
n. pl. so·ror·i·ties
A chiefly social organization of women students at a college or university, usually designated by Greek letters.
An association or a society of women.

Your personal definition of Fraternity is based on your experiences with college life only, and is a pretty narrow definition.

Last edited by AlphaFrog; 06-23-2006 at 03:53 PM.
Old 06-23-2006, 03:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
And I was even nice about it. No "go do a search". I think the rain stopping and the sun coming out had something to do with that.
yea, surprised the hell out of me
Old 06-23-2006, 03:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLPDaisy
yea, surprised the hell out of me
Shhh Encourage her!

Ahem, er, uh
Good show there AlphaFrog! That's showing the right spirit!
Old 06-23-2006, 06:55 PM
GreekChat Member

I believe I was speaking of college social fraternities. You don't see the Mason's or the Red Hats on college campuses... but you do see GLO's and groups like Triangle, Farmhouse etc. thus i was confused at how they fit into the definition of college social fraternities

but geeze, i'll think about how I could be considered narrow minded before i just ask a question...

i think this place puts every one on edge and makes them just a bit too... aggressive perhaps is the word
Old 06-25-2006, 11:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I believe I was speaking of college social fraternities. You don't see the Mason's or the Red Hats on college campuses... but you do see GLO's and groups like Triangle, Farmhouse etc. thus i was confused at how they fit into the definition of college social fraternities

but geeze, i'll think about how I could be considered narrow minded before i just ask a question...

i think this place puts every one on edge and makes them just a bit too... aggressive perhaps is the word

I did NOT say you were narrow minded, I said you had a narrow definition of the word Fraternity, which apparently still exists in your mind. FRATERNITY is a men's organization, whether it be on a college campus, at a local Lion's Club hall or on Mars. Most college fraternities HAPPEN to use Greek letters. Some chose not to, but that doesn't mean their names means any less to them then the ones who choose to use Greek letters, and it doesn't make them and less of a college fraternity.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:58 AM
GreekChat Member

GLO stands for Greek Lettered Organization so yes, any GLO would have to have Greek Letters. However, not every fraternity or sorority is a GLO. Groups like Farmhouse, Triangle, and Ceres are fraternities and a sorority without having Greek Letters.
Old 06-26-2006, 01:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
FRATERNITY is a men's organization, whether it be on a college campus, at a local Lion's Club hall or on Mars.
Actually Alpha Xi Delta, and many other GLO's for women, are fraternities and are incorporated as fraternities.
Old 06-26-2006, 07:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Actually Alpha Xi Delta, and many other GLO's for women, are fraternities and are incorporated as fraternities.
No. They are incorporated as WOMEN'S Fraternities. I have been a member of NPC for 4 years now, I am well aware of which women's orgs are "Sororities" and which are "Women's Fraternities".