GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,531
4 members and 2,527 guests
TLLK

Old 07-29-2011, 10:24 PM
GreekChat Member

I am going to plug my school (Christopher Newport University) because I love it and it is a very up and coming campus. The president is changing a lot of things to make us more well known, from academics to the way the campus works. There a variety of programs that students can get involved in on campus, including the President's Leadership Program, which is hard to explain if you are not in the program (which I am not). We do have a journalism major, but we also have a strong PolySci major (our current president used to be a Virginia Senator too) and many strong programs. You're not in the middle of nowhere (Williamsburg is 20 minutes away, Virginia Beach is 30-45 depending on traffic) but it isn't completely rural either.

One thing that is changing a lot recently: as of this year's freshman class, students are required to spend all four years in campus housing. We're not huge, but we're not tiny either, and it is definitely a school becoming more and more recognized after college.

Also, (since I just got back from work and my brain is scattered) we have an excellent Career Planning Center. They just set up a new website for students to find jobs and internships, and it is available even after you graduate.

Go Captains!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-29-2011, 10:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wareagle93 View Post
UT-Austin, UGA, UNC-Chapel Hill and UVA. All are fantastic schools.
Which question were you answering wareagle93?

None of those are really safety schools? UT Austin and Chapel Hill are super competitive for out of state students but they do all have good writing and communications programs.

If you were looking for a good safety school - being from Michigan - you have should have another look at Western Michigan uwmich.edu. Michigan has put some good planning and funding into their programs even in a down economy, and they have solid programs. Kalamazoo will have the diversity although not as competitive as Ann Arbor.

Another program to look at would be too look at something like IUPUI or DePaul. They would be urban, diverse, and somewhat less competitive than the first group of schools you were looking mentioned.

I would also highly recommend after you do some of your research on the web to spend some time visiting your choices. If you call ahead - the admissions office can help you out with chances to talk to students or faculty in programs that you are interested in. Sometimes when you set foot on campus you just "know" what will be a good or bad environment for your learning style.

Last edited by HQWest; 07-29-2011 at 10:51 PM.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
She decided to create an account herself so she can have this conversation with y'all. Stay tuned.

*she has to wait an hour to post so we're getting dinner first*
Yes, I feel older now!

(Hey, Dee Daughter!)
Old 07-29-2011, 10:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypoallergenic View Post
Hi guys, daughter-in-question here. I felt like there were a few things my mom didn’t express very well in the initial post, so…I’m gonna clear things up.

1. A major concern is academics. My main priority isn’t to get prepared for a job, it’s to learn and explore things I enjoy or couldn’t in high school (which, granted, is probably naïve, but with the job market requiring college for even below average students, I don’t want to be shoved into a group of kids who are just going out of obligation. I’m nerdy, learning is fun.) That’s part of the reason I’m looking at Ivies and sub-Ivies, because I want a college where people are driven and passionate.

2. I don’t necessarily want an ‘urban’ campus life. Mainly, I want diversity. Coming from a tiny, everybody-knows-everybody kind of town, I want to meet new people with lots of different interests and personalities. That’s why I’m primarily looking at universities with strong liberal arts programs, rather than just liberal arts schools. I also like the idea of research universities with strong liberal arts programs, although I don’t really know what’d I’d research…it’s just intriguing. :P

3. I’m not concerned about prestige in the typical way. I would like a college that is well-known to potential employers and grad schools, but I’m not looking for a college that makes me look “smarter” when I casually mention it to friends and family.

4. Iowa was mainly a safety that I kept because I couldn’t figure out anywhere else. I would like to pursue creative writing in college to some extent, but there are so many things I’m also interested in, I’d rather not go to one college for a great writing program. Having said that, any suggestions for safety schools (that fit the above requirements to some extent)?? I feel like it’s impossible to find one where I’ll fit in, but my test scores are low (1870 on the SAT, retaking in October, but I got a 2010 on my PSAT so I know I can do better). I’m scared I’ll get rejected from all of these schools I’ve invested so much time in, and I won’t have a SOLID safety school to fall back on.

5. I don’t really want to go into traditional journalism. If I did choose journalism, it would be either writing for magazines or some kind of editorial work. I would really enjoy going into editing and publishing, though, or…well, my dream at the moment is to somehow work for the UN. Dunno how that’d happen, but we’ll see. So, another question, what would be my best bet for majors? I’m pretty sure what my mom said was on par, I just want to make sure I’m not going for the wrong things.

I think that’s all. :P

Consider Georgetown. I was looking for similar things as you were and choosing a minor in Theology certainly let me study things and think about things I couldn't while in high school.

As a safety, consider American. Both in DC, both seem to have what you're looking for, both will give you access to great internships and study abroad programs. The cost is comparable, I believe, but AU has better merit-based aid. Georgetown has good need-based aid.

Also consider George Mason University in Virginia (suburban DC). It's cheaper than Georgetown and AU and is more diverse than both.

As for a major, unless they need you to decide and discuss it in your essay, I think it's perfectly fine to not know right now.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Good suggestion Senusret -

OP - for your major - you might think about branching off your interest in writing - something like Public Relations combining business and writing or Public Health combining Communications and Health or Nutrition?
Old 07-29-2011, 11:33 PM
GreekChat Member

I think a DC school could be exactly what you're looking for. Especially if you are interested in politics because as they say, you would be right in the thick of it. I agree with Senusret I on this one, although you'll know pretty quickly while visiting.

I'd plug Penn State here out of obligation but I really don't think it's what you're looking for. Research opportunities abound, but our English program isn't well known for much (although we do have a number of good relationships with different companies for internships) and we lack diversity. Seriously. It's gotten better but it is such a small town kind of feel, and despite there being 40,000 students, it is very much a two degrees of separation type place. But some of your other choices look great. Best of luck to you in your search!
Old 07-30-2011, 01:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Who you calling "boy"? The name's Hand Banana . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
Consider Georgetown.
Sen makes a VERY good point here - I suggested Boston and Philly, but DC is exactly on the same wavelength (similar quality and 'tiers' of schools, and the schools are 100% integrated into the city), and probably with more of a focus on what you're looking for.

I assume I skipped the DC area because I'm pro-New England, and not because I'm a rampant racist. Although I do enjoy Chocolate City Brewery's beers. Now I'm lost.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:12 AM
GreekChat Member

If you want to get into editing or publishing, internships, networking and on-campus or on-job experience will most likely be of more help than being a journalism major (coming from a Journalism major who's emphasis was in magazines). Studying Communications, English, or PR would all give you the basics. You could also take some additional Journalism classes (if the college allows it) to gain that knowledge as well.
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Penn State and Syracuse University

Quote:
Originally Posted by psusue View Post
I think a DC school could be exactly what you're looking for. Especially if you are interested in politics because as they say, you would be right in the thick of it. I agree with Senusret I on this one, although you'll know pretty quickly while visiting.

I'd plug Penn State here out of obligation but I really don't think it's what you're looking for. Research opportunities abound, but our English program isn't well known for much (although we do have a number of good relationships with different companies for internships) and we lack diversity. Seriously. It's gotten better but it is such a small town kind of feel, and despite there being 40,000 students, it is very much a two degrees of separation type place. But some of your other choices look great. Best of luck to you in your search!

I'm (obviously) gonna' plug Penn State because if you are looking for opportunities, it has a lot to offer. It's well-ranked and there was an article a while back that said, of all (non-New York school) college graduates represented in New York City, Penn State was the MOST represented Alumni Association. I'm partial to the blue and white--especially for THON (Penn State's Dance Marathon--The Largest Student-Run Philanthropy in the WORLD)...

If your daughter is looking for more of an urban feel, Penn State will not be her cup of tea. Once again, I'm going to plug (obviously) another school I'm well acquainted with---Syracuse University. Actually, if you check it out on the Best Colleges site, it is ranked well and students who look at SU also look at PSU. The added benefit of Syracuse University: It is the home of 3 Alpha Chapters, to include AGD!!! Gotta' love the Syracuse Triad....Just a thought!
Old 07-30-2011, 02:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to deadbear80
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSig RC View Post
Northwestern is very suburban and well over an hour away from Chicago proper via public transportation - it's very self-contained, although the campus is neat (almost to the point of "cute" honestly).
Buddy, I know you're from Boston, but what kind of public transport did you take in Chicago when/if you were ever here? I grew up in Evanston and I live in Chicago now--"Chicago proper" is Howard Street--a mere 4 stops away via the Purple Line L (read: no more than 20 mins.). If you're thinking about the Loop (downtown)--yes, that's further. But again, only about 45 mins. via the L. Even if you have to change trains from the Purple Line to the Red Line it doesn't take an hour to get downtown.

Evanston has really changed over the years--in some ways for the better, and in some not (but that's really just nostalgic me who remembers when the Fountain Square building was the tallest in Downtown Evanston and there were no high-rise high-end condos there). I will agree, however, that it's fairly self-contained. There's plenty to do in and around campus that a lot of kids don't venture into Chicago often. However, if you want to for concerts, sporting events, or shopping, it's all quite easy. My niece goes to Northwestern and really loves it. There's definitely a strong Greek Life aspect to the school, but it's not necessary to be in a sorority. Their row is really cute though...(having gone to a school--see above--where all the chapters were unhoused, I loved going to visit friends at NU and seeing all of the houses).
Old 07-30-2011, 07:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Out of curiosity Dee junior, (I know, not your name, but still) why didn't you like the Village? I know a lot of NYU who love living there.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypoallergenic View Post
Hi guys, daughter-in-question here. I felt like there were a few things my mom didn’t express very well in the initial post, so…I’m gonna clear things up.

1. A major concern is academics. My main priority isn’t to get prepared for a job, it’s to learn and explore things I enjoy or couldn’t in high school (which, granted, is probably naïve, but with the job market requiring college for even below average students, I don’t want to be shoved into a group of kids who are just going out of obligation. I’m nerdy, learning is fun.) That’s part of the reason I’m looking at Ivies and sub-Ivies, because I want a college where people are driven and passionate.

2. I don’t necessarily want an ‘urban’ campus life. Mainly, I want diversity. Coming from a tiny, everybody-knows-everybody kind of town, I want to meet new people with lots of different interests and personalities. That’s why I’m primarily looking at universities with strong liberal arts programs, rather than just liberal arts schools. I also like the idea of research universities with strong liberal arts programs, although I don’t really know what’d I’d research…it’s just intriguing. :P

3. I’m not concerned about prestige in the typical way. I would like a college that is well-known to potential employers and grad schools, but I’m not looking for a college that makes me look “smarter” when I casually mention it to friends and family.

4. Iowa was mainly a safety that I kept because I couldn’t figure out anywhere else. I would like to pursue creative writing in college to some extent, but there are so many things I’m also interested in, I’d rather not go to one college for a great writing program. Having said that, any suggestions for safety schools (that fit the above requirements to some extent)?? I feel like it’s impossible to find one where I’ll fit in, but my test scores are low (1870 on the SAT, retaking in October, but I got a 2010 on my PSAT so I know I can do better). I’m scared I’ll get rejected from all of these schools I’ve invested so much time in, and I won’t have a SOLID safety school to fall back on.

5. I don’t really want to go into traditional journalism. If I did choose journalism, it would be either writing for magazines or some kind of editorial work. I would really enjoy going into editing and publishing, though, or…well, my dream at the moment is to somehow work for the UN. Dunno how that’d happen, but we’ll see. So, another question, what would be my best bet for majors? I’m pretty sure what my mom said was on par, I just want to make sure I’m not going for the wrong things.

I think that’s all. :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeTriDelta View Post
Any college/university you attend will have students who are driven and passionate; not just Ivies or sub-Ivies. There are kids going out of obligation to those schools as well. Not trying to be snarky, just trying to get a point across.
Second this. Keep in mind that its not just a school name that will land you those dream jobs (but you already know this). I work in a world full of geologists, engineers, chemists, and scientists who all went to Ohio State, Michigan, Georgia Tech, Miami (OH), etc. I am the only one who went to a very, very small liberal arts college (compared to the 10,000+ student schools they all went to). While it's well known for being a smartie-pants school in my state, the small school status didn't discourage my employers fro hiring me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
Consider Georgetown.
I was going to say the same thing, plus one more. I have 2 friends from high school who ended up with positions with the UN. One went to Georgetown, the other went to Miami (FL). Both were PoliSci majors, with minors in a fine art or English. The one I'm closest to (the Miami student), studied abroad for a year in England as well, which is what opened the UN doors upon her graduation. She worked for the UN for almost 3 years, then went to Case Western for law school. The other friend went directly into the Peace Corps upon college graduation, and then went to the UN.

Both had very different, yet similar college experiences. Both worked for the UN, both were PoliSci majors who wanted to have the experiences you're suggesting, both ended up with JDs and both are successful attorneys now.

I have nothing else constructive to add. Wish I did though! Good luck Little Dee!
Old 07-30-2011, 09:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLake View Post
Second this. Keep in mind that its not just a school name that will land you those dream jobs (but you already know this). I work in a world full of geologists, engineers, chemists, and scientists who all went to Ohio State, Michigan, Georgia Tech, Miami (OH), etc. I am the only one who went to a very, very small liberal arts college (compared to the 10,000+ student schools they all went to). While it's well known for being a smartie-pants school in my state, the small school status didn't discourage my employers fro hiring me.
I have never heard that of ONU.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:28 PM
GreekChat Member

It was known as that back in my day . It started with the Pharmacy program (a one of a kind 6 year PharmD, the only of it's kind in the US), and has continued with the engineering school and biology pre-med programs. It had the high admissions standards (and high tuition to go along with it) long before all the other small schools did. I expect there to be graduate programs within 10 years (aside form the law school).
Old 07-30-2011, 11:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Who you calling "boy"? The name's Hand Banana . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbear80 View Post
Buddy, I know you're from Boston, but what kind of public transport did you take in Chicago when/if you were ever here? I grew up in Evanston and I live in Chicago now--"Chicago proper" is Howard Street--a mere 4 stops away via the Purple Line L (read: no more than 20 mins.). If you're thinking about the Loop (downtown)--yes, that's further. But again, only about 45 mins. via the L.
I was thinking to the Loop, and most of my experience is on game days (I went to school in Boston, but I'm from the Midwest - so I've been to Ryan Field 4 times watching my hometown team) or rush hour. Obviously I'll defer to natives.

I didn't mean this as anything negative toward the campus - Evanston is awesome, but it's in Chicago the same way Hofstra is in New York.

Last edited by KSig RC; 07-31-2011 at 12:09 AM.