GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,454
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, nathnpetrovo648
» Online Users: 1,558
2 members and 1,556 guests
nathnpetrovo648, Xidelt

Old 01-19-2011, 01:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Baby Shower Menu Suggestions Needed!

I am holding a baby shower brunch for a long-time friend this Saturday. I have been planning the menu for weeks, but just can't seem to finalize it. I am undecided on how much food to have, and how many varieties to have. About 40 people were invited; 15 have responded that they'll attend (so far), and 16 (!) have not responded (I am assuming that most of them will not attend, but I suppose that I should up my numbers some just in case).

The brunch starts at 10:30. When I attend something like this, I usually have a light breakfast because I assume that we won't eat right when it starts, and I also don't think of it as a "real" meal. Perhaps others think differently, though. I am planning on having an egg casserole (can't decide if one is enough, and if I make another whether I should make a duplicate or have something else, like a hashbrown casserole), sausage balls, pecan-pie mini muffins, banana bread, and fruit (any more creative fruit suggestions would be welcome). I am also making an Italian Cream Cake.

Does that sound like enough food? I want this to be a very nice party, but I am the only hostess and don't want to create extra work for myself. I have helped co-host many showers, but have never done the whole thing by myself. Any input and suggestions are much appreciated!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-19-2011, 01:12 PM
GreekChat Member

I think one egg casserole should be fine for the size (or the ones who at least RSVP'd). For me, eggs are really filling, so unless its a freakishly amazing casserole that everyone wants a bite of, it should be enough.

I remember we had a great fruit platter at my step-mom's babyshower and they had two or three dips that went with it. I can't remember what was all in them for the life of me, but you could look up some good ones online. With the amount of food you have and drinks it sounds like plenty. If people show up who didn't RSVP and don't get a plate of food, well, their loss
Old 01-19-2011, 01:22 PM

That sounds like enough food. Have cream cheese dip for the fruit.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMTTT View Post
I think one egg casserole should be fine for the size (or the ones who at least RSVP'd). For me, eggs are really filling, so unless its a freakishly amazing casserole that everyone wants a bite of, it should be enough.

I remember we had a great fruit platter at my step-mom's babyshower and they had two or three dips that went with it. I can't remember what was all in them for the life of me, but you could look up some good ones online. With the amount of food you have and drinks it sounds like plenty. If people show up who didn't RSVP and don't get a plate of food, well, their loss
I was thinking the same thing, but then thought that they might eat before the people who RSVP'd! I may check the guest list at the door and give those who didn't reply a plastic plate (which I'm going to have on hand as back-up), instead of my good china. Those with china get to go to the front of the line!

Incidentally, I just made the first batch of pecan pie mini muffins (I'm going to stick them in the freezer until Friday) and just realized that I need to make extra because my kids and I are eating them all! They are so yummy...Paula Deen recipe!

Great suggestions about the dip...I think that will help dress up the fruit.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Is it considered bad form to follow up the non-RSVPs with a phone call? Because I would do that first, saying that you hadn't heard from them and need to know for planning purposes. I would hope the message would get through.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellfish View Post
Is it considered bad form to follow up the non-RSVPs with a phone call? Because I would do that first, saying that you hadn't heard from them and need to know for planning purposes. I would hope the message would get through.

I'm not sure about the etiquette, but I wouldn't mind doing this, except that I don't know most of the guests, so I don't have their phone numbers. At this point, I wouldn't want to ask my friend for the numbers because I figure that she'd have to track many of them down (many of the guests are relatives, friends of the mothers, etc.) and it would be a hassle. Also, by the time she got them to me it would probably be too late to really follow up, anyway.

I am so bad about rsvp'ing promptly, although I do rsvp (earlier than this)! I vow to be more prompt about it in the future! Never thought about the stress that it can cause to a hostess trying to figure out how many plates/forks/foods that she needs.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMTTT View Post
If people show up who didn't RSVP and don't get a plate of food, well, their loss
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have to count them in unless you call them or send out a reminder e-mail. Some of them WILL show up without RSVPing, I will guarantee it. You will end up with not enough food, which will upset and anger you, ruining your hosting experience. After all, you are not going to say to them at the door, "so terribly sorry, you have to wait at the end of the line with the other wretched ingrates who did not reply and get whatever leftovers are available to you, you understand, don't you?". Make 2 casseroles. Add mini croissants and mini quiches from Costco, or the like. Do a big fruit salad. Do crudites. Add cookies. There are a number of ways to stretch things without adding too much money. After all, for your peace of mind, wouldn't you rather have a bit too much versus not enough? Yeah, you may have leftovers for a week, but that's the way it goes sometimes.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I'd call her Mom and MIL regarding following up on relatives and their friends.

You could also supplement with bagels and cream cheese. Throw them in a basket and you're good to go. You don't have to put them out right away if you don't want and can use them for breakfast for the week or freeze the extra. Quiche is another dish that would good to supplement with and you can use that for dinners for the week if not used.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellfish View Post
While it's a bit embarrassing (and a pain in the patoot), it's also the one time you can purposefully tell someone that they're rude without saying it.

Give yourself a break, if you can, and buy the crudites & fruit platters. You don't want to play Soup Nazi and say, "No eggs or muffins for you!" The non-responders are the ones being rude - don't stoop to their level.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:59 PM
GreekChat Member

A wide variety of different bagels is always a good choice.

I went to a baby-shower lunch and one of the options was the mother's favorite food (Chicken Parm. That might not work for a brunch) but something similar might be fun?
Old 01-19-2011, 03:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Forgot to say that some people only RSVP if they will not be able to make it-otherwise they assume that you know that they will be there, because, well, they didn't tell you that they wouldn't be there. It could also be that since they are relatives, etc., they told the honoree's mother's sister that they would be attending-unfortunately, the message hasn't been delivered to you yet. Or they could be rude wretched ingrates.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:10 PM
GreekChat Member

You all are right...I probably need to plan for more people. My cousin cheaped out a few years ago and didn't have enough food or seating at her wedding...maybe because people didn't rsvp, but it was she who ended up looking bad. The truth is, I just don't want to bother with following up with those who haven't rsvp'd...I think it would be more work than just planning on more people attending. (That may sound lazy, but I have to get everything done in the next couple of days, and did I mention I have three kids ages four and under? Needless to say, I don't have much time for phone calls!). Anyway, I didn't mean to turn this into a rant about people not replying...that's just what people seem to do these days.

Ok, so I have 15 people definitely attending. Maybe I should guess that half of the other 17 will attend? That takes me up to 23-24. Here's the current menu:

2 breakfast casseroles
50 sausage balls
50 mini muffins
1 loaf banana bread, sliced into half slices
fruit and dip
garlic toast rounds and dip
Italian cream cake

I like the suggestions about bagels and quiche, but I seem to have a lot of eggs and breads. I just thought about those garlic toast rounds that you can buy at the grocery store...I could get those and a pre-made dip and that would help stretch things. I really think that this should be enough food...however, my plates are large and I don't want them to look bare! Probably sounds silly.

Thank you all for your advice...I tried to talk to my husband about it, but he didn't have any helpful suggestions!

Last edited by KD4Me; 01-19-2011 at 03:16 PM. Reason: had a brainstrorm
Old 01-19-2011, 03:19 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know if your family is big into Banana bread, but the muffins satisfy the need for a "sweeter" bread and a bagel with some creamcheese would work for a saltier or a neutral bread. I'd switch one for bagels

It helps since there is a larger variety of options.

Oh don't forget the Coffee and OJ!

Good luck
Old 01-19-2011, 03:21 PM
GreekChat Member

ooo GARLIC TOAST?? haha thats awesome! Forget what I said
Old 01-19-2011, 03:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BemoreLXA View Post
I don't know if your family is big into Banana bread, but the muffins satisfy the need for a "sweeter" bread and a bagel with some creamcheese would work for a saltier or a neutral bread. I'd switch one for bagels

It helps since there is a larger variety of options.

Oh don't forget the Coffee and OJ!

Good luck
I hadn't thought of using bagels as a non-sweet bread. That's a good idea because we also have the cake...I had been thinking that the menu might be leaning toward the sweet side. That would also be one less thing to make...a definite plus!

Couldn't possibly forget the coffee and OJ! Thanks.