GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,179
1 members and 2,178 guests
gatordeltapgh

Old 09-07-2006, 07:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Congrats to her!

BTW, my D feels the same way!
Old 09-07-2006, 07:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokey318
The girl my daughter know that received a snap bid in the past actually contacted the sorority herself. She emailed several houses to ask if they had a spot and got a response from this one house. I don't know much other than this girl was cut after round 1 and wanted to be in a sorority. This house offered her a spot, but I don't know how close to bid day this was.
Is it possible it was actually after bid day? Because this sounds like COR, not a snap bid. Especially if she was cut from formal recruitment after round 1.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:26 PM
GreekChat Member

I believe this girl emailed the houses she was interested in around round 4 when she had been cut from all houses. The house she joined had cut her after round 1, but she still had other houses available. It is my understanding that Snap bidding takes place the morning before bids are given out, so this girl may have accepted the snap bid the morning of bid day. I am guess that because she wasn't offered a bid from any other house, and this house had not made quota during bid matching, they decided to take her.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:21 PM

Quote:
I believe this girl emailed the houses she was interested in around round 4 when she had been cut from all houses. The house she joined had cut her after round 1, but she still had other houses available. It is my understanding that Snap bidding takes place the morning before bids are given out, so this girl may have accepted the snap bid the morning of bid day. I am guess that because she wasn't offered a bid from any other house, and this house had not made quota during bid matching, they decided to take her.
Wow. That sounds strange. Is that an infraction?
Old 09-08-2006, 12:06 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm thinking that maybe this situation actually occurred differently than Pokey believes. Not that I think she's being less than truthful, but because stories tend to get twisted as they pass from one to another. Contact b/w PNMS and sorority members is prohibited until recruitment is over, outside of the parties that is. At least at my chapter, girls who were snapped up had dropped us with interest. I don't think we ever snapped up a girl that we had dropped after the first round...
Old 09-08-2006, 07:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Hegemon-You are right that this story may not be all correct. I am getting it at least fourth hand so the details are a bit fuzzy. While the girl was a snap bid, maybe the details are different than I have reported. I maybe should not have posted a story that I had no first hand knowledge of.

Whatever the case, snap bidding wasn't necessary for my daughter, and at the moment that is all that is important to me. I am just glad I don't have another daughter having to go through rush! I am totally worn out by the whole process!
Old 09-08-2006, 08:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Did you say what house she ended up at, and I missed it??? If not, stop teasing and tell us already!!!!
Old 09-08-2006, 08:39 AM
GreekChat Member

No, I didn't say which house. My daughter hasn't given me the ok to tell! Lets just say that while she didn't get the house she really, really wanted (she was dropped round 2,) she did get her next first choice. She really had a hard time decided between the two houses she had on pref night having liked them both at the beginning. Even when she was filling out her card, she couldn't decide. Then when she decided, she wondered if she made the right choice. This when back and forth, but she knew she could be happy at either. If did help that another girl she became friends with during rush also received the same house. Of course, after bid night activites she said it was a bit overwhelming, but fun. She said she was happy with her choice, but then she adds that the other house had great pledge shirts I told her if great shirts were important to her then she now knew how to get involved at the sorority-she can be t-shirt chair. She knew she was being silly, be these two houses were really a tie and she is going to keep compairing them until she feels totally at home with her house, which I don't think will take too long.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
She knew she was being silly, be these two houses were really a tie and she is going to keep compairing them until she feels totally at home with her house, which I don't think will take too long.
In my experience, there's always that "what if?" feeling. Although that's partly because my chapter was closed while I was still active, so I've always wondered what would have happened if I had gone with another group that's still around campus. Not to say I wasn't happy where I was, I really was, but I think it's natural to think about things like that.
Old 09-10-2006, 02:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AUAZD2001 Send a message via Yahoo to AUAZD2001
How long does a PNM have to accept a snap bid? Is she required to accept or decline on the spot? Before the end of the day? Can she sleep on it?
Old 09-10-2006, 10:19 AM

It should be the same time frame as a regular bid extended as part of FR bid matching.

Back in the day at my school, bid day was a Tuesday, and PNMs had until Friday to decide. This gave the PNMs a chance to think about the commitment, talk to their parents, talk to their rho chi, spend some additional time with the sisters of the sorority that had bid them, etc. PNMs who deferred their bids were welcome to attend bid day and any other activities the sorority had planned (except, obviously, pledging ceremonies). If a PNM hadn't decided by Friday afternoon, it was an implicit decline of the bid. Snap bids worked the same way... a PNM receiving a snap bid could take some time to think about it, but had to decide by Friday. I imagine that a PNM receiving multiple snap bids could spend time with each of the sororities in question, but that never happened when I was an active.
Old 09-10-2006, 12:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog
In my experience, there's always that "what if?" feeling.
I think so, too. I went through that, and a lot of other ladies--both from my chapter and others--have told me the same thing. It doesn't mean you've made the wrong choice, necessarily, so no worries.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Whenever I was around the process, the greek advisor called the PNM when it was known that she did not receive a bid from her pref groups but there was another group on campus that wanted her. (someone she regretted with interest----she was still thinking about them but had too many invitations to go back to everyone.) She made the decision before the time bids were handed out so she could go to Bid Day like all the others receiving bids if she accepted. Thus, a "snap" (on the spot) bid.

Last edited by doubleblue&gold; 09-11-2006 at 12:09 AM. Reason: to add on
Old 09-16-2006, 11:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhiMuGoddess Send a message via MSN to PhiMuGoddess Send a message via Yahoo to PhiMuGoddess
On our campus, the snap bid list is given to the sorority that didn't make quota. They have first contact with those girls until Friday of recruitment week at noon. After that, the snap bid list is issued to each sorority and each has their own way of using it. Some choose not to peruse it at all.