GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,520
1 members and 1,519 guests
naraht

Old 01-14-2018, 01:35 PM
GreekChat Member

So I have a question. And this is just my wondering as she visits houses. She is visiting her legacy chapter as well as another that she loves. I know her legacy chapter puts her on first bid list per the constitution. If after all this is done and she finds she loves the other house and lists them first, but is not on their first bid list, is there a chance she gets cut completely? Her legacy chapter does not take QAs.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:37 PM
GreekChat Member

This is such an upbeat thread compared to the IU threads of a few years ago. Thank goodness they're starting to figure it out and make room for more women to join. This is what recruitment season should look like

@~/~~~~
Old 01-14-2018, 02:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaPiPhi View Post
So I have a question. And this is just my wondering as she visits houses. She is visiting her legacy chapter as well as another that she loves. I know her legacy chapter puts her on first bid list per the constitution. If after all this is done and she finds she loves the other house and lists them first, but is not on their first bid list, is there a chance she gets cut completely? Her legacy chapter does not take QAs.
I don't know for certain. However, it was my understanding that if the pnms maximized their options, that they would definitely get a bid. What you are describing would imply that this is not the case.
Old 01-14-2018, 02:25 PM
GreekChat Member

I live in NV but am originally from IN. My goddaughter got back two of her favorites for today, including her legacy chapter. The parties today will really clarify which she ranks first. Of course her mom, who is on the advisory board of her legacy house, is keeping her fingers crossed for my goddaughter to pick her chapter, but she knows it's up to her! We're both proud of my goddaughter for keeping an open mind throughout this whole process.
Old 01-14-2018, 02:30 PM

If the sororities could opt out of QAs, I don't know how a bid could be guaranteed, unless they go to whoever was next on the PNM's ranking list (provided that chapter takes QAs).
Old 01-14-2018, 02:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
If the sororities could opt out of QAs, I don't know how a bid could be guaranteed, unless they go to whoever was next on the PNM's ranking list (provided that chapter takes QAs).
This is exactly what I have been wondering. If Indiana is allowing chapters to opt out of QAs, then there could be PNMs bidless even if they maximize their options. A PNM could be going to two chapters which will not take QAs and match. I have not heard that IU is guaranteeing placement.
Old 01-14-2018, 02:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Regarding the question from IowaPiPhi, my understanding is that if she lists XYZ sorority 1st and then legacy sorority 2nd, they would see if she matches on XYZ's first list. If she doesn't, then she would receive a bid from her legacy chapter because she automatically matches by being on the first list. If she does not list legacy chapter at all, then she has a risk of not matching at all.

Taking legacies out of the equation, regarding the general question of are bids guaranteed if they maximize their options up through preference and listing both chapters on their card: While most campuses do this, my understanding directly from Panhellenic is at IU there is not a guarantee. I think they try hard to get most girls placed, but apparently it is not 100%.
Old 01-14-2018, 02:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sHoosier View Post
Regarding the question from IowaPiPhi, my understanding is that if she lists XYZ sorority 1st and then legacy sorority 2nd, they would see if she matches on XYZ's first list. If she doesn't, then she would receive a bid from her legacy chapter because she automatically matches by being on the first list. If she does not list legacy chapter at all, then she has a risk of not matching at all.

Taking legacies out of the equation, regarding the general question of are bids guaranteed if they maximize their options up through preference and listing both chapters on their card: While most campuses do this, my understanding directly from Panhellenic is at IU there is not a guarantee. I think they try hard to get most girls placed, but apparently it is not 100%.
^This is the impression I am under, as well.
Old 01-14-2018, 03:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sHoosier View Post
Does anyone know which chapters have declined to take QAs? Is that common?
Old 01-14-2018, 06:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Based on the thread here last year, it appeared that the following chapters did not take or possibly were not offered QAs:

Alpha Epsilon Phi
Alpha Phi
Alpha Sigma Alpha
Delta Zeta
Kappa Delta
Pi Beta Phi

This is not an official list, just based on what was posted on the thread, so it can be wrong.
Old 01-14-2018, 06:54 PM
GreekChat Member

My D had two parties today. First house was one that didn't start as a favorite, but as cuts have been made and house parties attended, she liked it more and more and was happy to have it on her list today. The second party was at her absolute favorite house -- it's been her favorite since the first visit. Each party before today was great, with strong conversations and really feeling a connection with every girl she talked with. She was on cloud 9 going to the final party today. But, after the party, she called me in tears. The girl she talked with today was totally unengaged kept looking around the room and made no effort to connect. She's worried that this girl "holds all the cards" and all the other positives until today are meaningless and she won't get a bid. I wasn't in a sorority, so I have no idea of what to say to her. Any thoughts? So appreciative!
Old 01-14-2018, 07:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLE23 View Post
My D had two parties today. First house was one that didn't start as a favorite, but as cuts have been made and house parties attended, she liked it more and more and was happy to have it on her list today. The second party was at her absolute favorite house -- it's been her favorite since the first visit. Each party before today was great, with strong conversations and really feeling a connection with every girl she talked with. She was on cloud 9 going to the final party today. But, after the party, she called me in tears. The girl she talked with today was totally unengaged kept looking around the room and made no effort to connect. She's worried that this girl "holds all the cards" and all the other positives until today are meaningless and she won't get a bid. I wasn't in a sorority, so I have no idea of what to say to her. Any thoughts? So appreciative!
That girl doesn't "hold all the cards." Your daughter's final placement on the bid list will be based on all the visits and interactions she had during the process. It's unfortunate she had that experience today, but maybe the active member was tired or more introverted. It might have nothing to do with your daughter. Tell her to stay positive and also be happy that she liked the other house she visited today, too. She should be pleased with receiving a bid from either chapter.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:45 PM
GreekChat Member

[She's worried that this girl "holds all the cards" and all the other positives until today are meaningless and she won't get a bid. I wasn't in a sorority, so I have no idea of what to say to her. Any thoughts? So appreciative![/QUOTE]

Sorry to hear that happened. Help her to understand that in chapters of this size, she will probably not click with every single person. There will be members that she is closer to than others. If this girl wasn't engaged, it does not mean that she is done. Perhaps this girl was looking for someone else that she knew.

As for membership selection, every chapter does it differently. And, it is done differently now than when most of us on here were collegians. We always kept cumulative rankings. So, if someone got negative feedback at one party, it could be balanced by positive feedback from prior rounds.

At this point, if she attended preference round (today's parties) she is on the bid list for both chapters that she visited. It really comes down to how high on the list she will appear. Chapters have to invite more than quota to these parties because they have to assume that some will go elsewhere. So, they go down the list and extend the bids from #1 to #54 etc. until quota is met. There could be 120 on the list and they may hit the quota well before going the whole way through. If she is very low on the list due to today's party, she may not get the bid. However, if the chapters take quota additions, even if she is not at the very top of her list, she could still get a bid.

Hope this helps! In the end, it is now beyond her control. Encourage her to distract herself with something else and anticipate the best on Tuesday. Good luck!
Old 01-14-2018, 07:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Just talked to my daughter. She lost her legacy house with todays cuts. The two houses she visited she still didn't feel the "connection" and considered dropping. She did go ahead and rank so I am not sure how it will pan out for her. My older daughter is heartbroken she was cut from her legacy at the very end. Today has been the hardest emotionally.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorry to hear that PNMmom18! I know that we were disappointed when my D was dropped from her legacy chapter. It is a hard thing. But, hopefully, she will find a fit in one of the two that she attended. If she accepts the bid and continues, she can always drop before initiation if it really does not feel right. I do respect the girls that continue despite being disappointed. It reflects a stronger character than those who drop out after they get dropped by that one top house that they see themselves in. These are opportunities for growth. Not always easy but beneficial in the long run. Good luck!