GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,442
1 members and 1,441 guests
MSKKG

Old 09-21-2013, 07:11 PM
GreekChat Member

HELP Our point system

So my chapter is trying something new. We are a new chapter on campus still and have had a hard time really getting girls to go out to things. This year we are trying something new. Basically each member is required for attaining a certain amount of points each month, otherwise when it comes time for semi-formal, formal, my-tie, etc(all of our big events) They will not be eligible to go..

Part of my job is to track all of these points. I have had a really hard time validating that these girls are places they should be, and my email is blowing up with pictures to show me, or just an email showing me that they were there...Just to put out there... They earn extra points by going to socials of other frats/sororities, or philanthropy. events. Of course me and the communications chair cannot be at every single social/event to take attendance of who is actually there..so we are trying to figure out a way to go about this without our emails blowing up, and girls just "telling" us they were there. Right now we are all going by that it is an honorary system and if girls tell us they were there....we assume they were there.

If anyone has Ideas of what we can do for this please reach out! we cant think of ANYTHING!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-21-2013, 07:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Question: how many mandatory events (e.g. chapter meetings, philanthropy events, "official" socials, ritual, etc.) is each girl missing where your chapter feels like "extra credit" is necessary? I've just never heard of a system like this.

In my chapter, when someone had to miss a mandatory event, they had to submit a request to our chapter advisor, in writing, and it had to be approved. No one missed so many events that we required them to attend additional activities put on by other chapters. If they had, I imagine they would have dropped, or at the very least, they would have been asked to reevaluate their decision to be a part of the chapter. If you're attending next to nothing, what's the point?

@~/~~~~

Last edited by ASTalumna06; 09-21-2013 at 07:30 PM.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:53 PM
GreekChat Member

We had a system called "positive points". Members would get points for attending certain campus activities and events sponsored by other organizations, along with our mixers, sisterhoods, etc. At the end of the semester, prizes were given to members for most points, (something nice, like a new lettered tee or sweatshirt) and for accumulating a certain amount. (Those were usually little, crafted type items.) I still have a picture frame from sophomore year. No idea how we kept track though. I lived in the sorority dorm for two years, so I always was at events and never really gave it much thought.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:33 PM
GreekChat Member

I think the girls sending you pictures to show they're where they say they are is a pretty good system. Just open the email, note it on your spreadsheet, and move the email to a subfolder. For that matter, you could make a subfolder for each member and just bounce each email straight into that folder. You could even set up filters so if Amy puts her name in the subject line, all of her emails will bounce right to the Amy folder.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Just a thought, but could they post their pictures to a social media page for your chapter? It would keep your email more manageable, plus to the PNMs of the next recruitment, your chapter would have great visibility.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Personally, I think you should drop the whole picture thing. But that's just me.

What you could do is hand out a sheet of paper at each meeting that lists categories of the types of events that each girl might attend (Philanthropy, Social, Educational, Cultural, etc.) and have them list what they attended that week for each category. After the meeting, you could compile the lists and send out a spreadsheet to the entire chapter (naming each event and who attended) so that they can review it. If someone would like to contest something that was listed on the spreadsheet, they could do so at the following meeting. This way, the sisters can "check" each other, and people might be less inclined to try and make it seem like they were somewhere when they actually didn't attend an event.

@~/~~~~

Last edited by ASTalumna06; 09-21-2013 at 09:22 PM.
Old 09-21-2013, 10:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks Guys! I think making a list at chapter and having it sent around, then having it sent out by email where maybe all girls could reply if they feel like they contest someone who was not there is a AWESOME idea. Like I said we are still a young chapter here on campus and have one of the smallest chapters still. Our last pledge class was the biggest compared to all other sororities on campus and we are continuing to grow and attract new girls. We have tons of girls who hang out with just ONE maybe two fraternities and we are making it as an incentive to get them out there and become more diverse(With other sororites too, we want to be diverse all around the panhellenic world). Not only can they earn these points by going to socials/events but for every additional 3 study hours they complete on top of their required amount they can receive points too.(Cant go to social because you need to study? well....earning points by studying too)

This is all in an effort to really help our Stars of excellence. We are a focus chapter here on campus and have A LOT of potential and show a lot of perseverance. This is more of a program we are doing as a whole to get our girls well rounded with our values, and another way to live by them. Its working great so far!