GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,199
2 members and 2,197 guests
chi-o_cat, PGD-GRAD

Old 10-01-2007, 12:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to tanzera
Another legacy question

If we take two sisters on the same pledge line than does the younger one still count as a legacy?
Old 10-01-2007, 01:00 PM
GreekChat Member

If they were both in the same pledge class, then they both got bids, and thus legacy status doesn't mean jack. Legacy status only means something when you're TRYING to get a bid.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:00 PM

She might be a legacy for the five minutes between her sister's final words in initiation and hers - other than that, no.

Plus, I don't know how you do things, but just because someone is biologically older doesn't mean they'll be initiated first.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:06 PM
GreekChat Member

I thought that a "legacy," in general, is someone who has a mother, sister, possibly aunt, etc. pledge and become a member of a sorority *before* she pursues membership. How can you do that on the same "line"?
Old 10-01-2007, 02:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Legacys apply to both.

But legacys are given the first thought on joining unless they do not fit in.

Legacys do not have the rite of passage.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 10-01-2007, 02:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanzera View Post
If we take two sisters on the same pledge line than does the younger one still count as a legacy?
No.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorry, guess D-9's are different than NPC and NIC.

Well, maybe the Lines you are talking about is different than family blood lines.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 10-01-2007, 03:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Even NPC/NIC the younger sibling who is in the same pledge class wouldn't be a legacy.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinaAlumna View Post
I thought that a "legacy," in general, is someone who has a mother, sister, possibly aunt, etc. pledge and become a member of a sorority *before* she pursues membership. How can you do that on the same "line"?
in some organizations, legacy only applies to the duly initiated (that is, a member whose mom, sister, daughter, etc. is also a member). in those cases, yes, blood sisters on the same line are legacy to each other. but it all depends on how your organization defines a legacy.

Last edited by 12dn94dst; 10-02-2007 at 09:45 AM. Reason: edited for clarity
Old 10-01-2007, 03:53 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^ Thanks for that clarification. I have learned my new thing for the day!
Old 10-01-2007, 03:55 PM
GreekChat Member

^This is good info. to consider as my organization grows. So far, we have one mother and daughter who have both become members. We have lots of blood sisters and cousins. I think we're going to start to see more daughters pursuing membership in the next few years (I am hoping, because that would be wonderful!).
Old 10-01-2007, 09:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I wouldn't think either of them would be legacies, because they are both actually members of XYZ.

If their mom was an ABC, then they would be ABC legacies, but both members of XYZ.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to tanzera
Hmmm I guess I need to go back and look at how specifically our constitution defines a legacy. In the past we had a soror's younger sister pledge 2 years later and became our first legacy which is why I raised this question. Personally I dont think she would be considered a legacy because they are on the same line and it just doesnt make sense. Maybe we need an alternative term that means family related but not the same as legacy,, hmmmm requires further thought.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Hmmm I guess I need to go back and look at how specifically our constitution defines a legacy. In the past we had a soror's younger sister pledge 2 years later and became our first legacy which is why I raised this question. Personally I dont think she would be considered a legacy because they are on the same line and it just doesnt make sense. Maybe we need an alternative term that means family related but not the same as legacy,, hmmmm requires further thought.
I think reviewing your constitution is a good idea.

Would you mind clarifying which sorority you are referring to?

I'm guessing Alpha Xi Delta because of your signature ("A Lady Xi"), so if that is the case, you might want to hop over to the Alpha Xi forum and ask them there since they would likely have the information for your organization.

If you are a local or NPHC (although I don't know of any NPHC GLOs that have Xi in their name?) checking with your advisor or consititution would be the best route.

I am not sure I'm understanding. If you have a sorority sister, who had a younger sister that joined 2 years later, she technically would be a legacy (in NPC terms) because the older sister was initiated and the younger one joined 2 years later. I'm not sure how that would make them in the same "line" though.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
In the past we had a soror's younger sister pledge 2 years later and became our first legacy which is why I raised this question. Personally I dont think she would be considered a legacy because they are on the same line and it just doesnt make sense. Maybe we need an alternative term that means family related but not the same as legacy,, hmmmm requires further thought.
In my organization (and I would imagine most NPC groups) this would be considered a legacy. If an older sister was initiated, and 2 years later her younger sister also was seeking membership, she would be a legacy. I'm confused as to what your definition of "line" is. To me it would mean the same pledge class, in which case the sister would not be a legacy of XYZ if no other members were also previous members of XYZ. In my limited experience with D-9 groups (roommate pledged Zeta Phi Beta) "on line" always referred to the women vying for membership in an organization at that particular time. Maybe that is different from campus to campus?