GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,383
1 members and 1,382 guests
FSUZeta

Old 08-28-2011, 12:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Re: Networking

Networking is also making a positive impression on acquaintances. I'll use the summer camp example earlier in the thread. Let's say there are three cabins of girls your age. Maybe you are only "friends" with the girls in your own cabin, but if the girls in the other two cabins know your name and think you are nice, they are part of your network.
Old 09-25-2011, 03:49 PM
GreekChat Member

I think for sororities they also have to take into consideration just how large the recruiting class really is. At my college, there were about 500 hopefuls and only 5 sororities (Alpha Delta Pi, Theta Phi Alpha, etc.). Theta has a pledge class of over 60. If all 5 took that many, there would still be 200 not taken in.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazing View Post
I think for sororities they also have to take into consideration just how large the recruiting class really is. At my college, there were about 500 hopefuls and only 5 sororities (Alpha Delta Pi, Theta Phi Alpha, etc.). Theta has a pledge class of over 60. If all 5 took that many, there would still be 200 not taken in.
If the school is using Release Figures Management (or RFM), which most schools are now, that is not an issue. Quota (or the number of women each chapter can take during formal recruitment) is the number of potential new members left by preference night divided by the number of sororities.

Therefore it would not matter if it were 1000 PNMs and 5 sororities, if all 1000 attended preference night and ranked all three choices on her MRABA card (also called pref card, bid card, etc), she will receive a bid to one of the three sororities listed. Thus, the new member classes would be 200 women each (in this example).
Old 09-25-2011, 07:38 PM

^^^That.

It bugs me when people (particularly sorority members who are probably just trying to make girls who didn't get bids or didn't get their top choice feel better) say things like "oh well you know recruitment was SO tough this year! There were like 600 girls going through and the sororities just couldn't take them all."

That's a myth. It doesn't matter how many girls there are in formal recruitment. The numbers are set to place as many women as possible.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 05-31-2013 at 09:48 PM.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
No, that's not how NPC recruitment works at all. You're new here, and also new to Greek life. Stay in your lane, please.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psusue View Post
If the school is using Release Figures Management (or RFM), which most schools are now, that is not an issue. Quota (or the number of women each chapter can take during formal recruitment) is the number of potential new members left by preference night divided by the number of sororities.

Therefore it would not matter if it were 1000 PNMs and 5 sororities, if all 1000 attended preference night and ranked all three choices on her MRABA card (also called pref card, bid card, etc), she will receive a bid to one of the three sororities listed. Thus, the new member classes would be 200 women each (in this example).
Thank you for dispelling that myth then.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Thank you for dispelling that myth then.
There are no "myths" involved. This is how SORORITY recruitment happens.

As stated earlier, you'd best stay in your lane.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator

I hope that a lot of 2013 moms and daughters are reading this!
Old 05-25-2014, 10:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm glad this kind of nepotism and favoritism doesn't exist in my organization.
Old 05-26-2014, 12:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaquin View Post
I'm glad this kind of nepotism and favoritism doesn't exist in my organization.
Please don't try to sound holier than thou on this one. When I was an undergrad, I may have had the same feelings you do now, but I've really changed my mind in the last few years. There's a reason they say "it's not what you know, it's who you know".

First of all, the power of pre-existing relationships and networking IS happening in your chapter - just on a different level. Calling it "nepotism and favoritism" is making an issue black and white that is far from it. You're also implying that women are being robbed of something, like a spot in a top chapter that they have the "stats" for. We've already gone over this- recruitment is not about some absolute list of good, better, best PNMs - it's about personality fit and so very many intangibles.

Additionally, why would you ever demean the importance of having someone be able to vouch for you? Even with something like a job interview or school admissions, there are far too many intangibles (like personality, determination, work ethic, etc) that are hard to completely vet in an application process. That's why so many jobs are filled by applicants who are recommended by an employee.

Networking is a powerful life skill and life tool. It has a legitimate place in most orgs.

Last edited by LAblondeGPhi; 05-26-2014 at 12:18 PM.
Old 05-26-2014, 12:25 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^^^^ This. Should connections go to the exclusion of qualifications, personality, appearance? No. But to pretend your best friend for your whole life shouldn't get a leg up into your chapter of other great friends is lunacy.

And that attitude is going to serve you very VERY poorly in the business world. Learn how to use the system now and you will be a step beyond the millenials who think they are owed jobs simply because they want it.
Old 07-07-2014, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Absolutely, and it's not just SEC schools, either.

I've dealt with quite a few smaller schools where I think the networking aspect is just as important. Especially with deferred recruitment.

Smaller School Deferred Recruitment Example:

ABC has had ALL FALL SEMESTER to interact with PNMs.

Let's say the chapter has 50 women in it.

By the time recruitment rolls around, each of them has 2 PNMs that they've known all fall (and some longer if they're sophs and junior PNMs.)

That's 100 women already coming back. If they can only extend say, 130 invites, you've got 30 spots for "new" PNMs they've never seen. That's not a lot.

The women who get involved during fall semester, meet sorority women (through hall activities, work on campus, other clubs, sports) and form relationships have the advantage in spring.

Suzie who never really left her dorm first semester, but has a 4.0, might get passed over for Polly PNM who is in band with a ton of ABC and spent all fall hanging out with them, but has a 3.3.
This is something that people rushing at what they call "noncompetitive" (there really is no such thing) schools need to realize. If you walk into chapter parties and don't know at least 1 or 2 sisters by sight, you're at an enormous disadvantage.

I also wonder if the increasing amount of suite-style dorms is a factor. If you don't have to share a tv room or bathroom with 30 other people, it's easy to fall into the scared antisocial trap.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:12 PM
Super Moderator

I never read this whole thread before, and think it's spot on. Until I was about to enter college, I had never realized that everyone (literally!) on my street who went to college was a member of a fraternity or a sorority. I had thought that just my next door neighbor (who kept a Trident magazine on the coffee table at all times) and hearing that my grandmother was a Kappa were the only two.

Also, most (if not all) of the camp counselors where I went to camp were greeks. This camp attracted campers from all over the east coast, so there were greeks from Duke, Clemson, UVA, and MTSU, along with Cornell, PSU, Pitt, and CMU. The counselors for my group were from Duke & CMU, and they left a wonderful impression! As was stated, it was networking, networking, networking.
Old 07-26-2015, 02:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Bumping this one!

ΑΓΔ
Old 06-20-2019, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator

Bumping for 2019!