GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek History

Greek History Fraternity and Sorority historical discussions. Chat about all topics related to Greek history here.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,650
2 members and 1,648 guests
flamboyanttree, LaneSig

Old 10-18-2015, 08:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Perhaps if you explained what you're trying to accomplish, we could give you a better answer.
Old 10-18-2015, 09:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sororitygirll View Post
Potentially they would be willing to help promote us with a page in a recruitment guide, and I guess that's a conversation for another thread. Thank you!
Actually, this is a very good idea. I believe that the Alabama recruitment guide gives a two page spread to both Alpha Delta Chi and Sigma Delta Tau, neither of which participates in formal recruitment. I wouldn't see why the Panhellenic recruitment information couldn't include your chapter information and mention that you hold recruitment separately. Contact your school's Panhellenic and see if this is possible.
Old 10-19-2015, 10:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by sororitygirll View Post
All that is true, and I don't deny that formal recruitment when you can only take 1/3 of the PNMs anyway is silly. Potentially they would be willing to help promote us with a page in a recruitment guide, and I guess that's a conversation for another thread, but I'm actually interested in the history: when did NPC establish the rule that no nationally-/offically-double discriminatory (let's just call it that and consider being female and fulltime to be a single requirement since it's the standard now) organization can participate in formal recruitment? I would have thought it would have been earlier than the 1960s, but I guess not.

Thank you!
At Illinois, some of the non-NPC groups had info sessions during open houses. So, there were 20 chapters, but 23 rounds, and the last three rounds were info sessions for six chapters (they split them up) in rooms in the union. But that's a LOT of time to put into talking to women who are probably pretty set on NPC.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Theta Phi Alpha was the *last* of the NPC members to discriminate. (On non-Catholic campuses they only took Catholic Women). This was removed in 1968.

I'm not familiar with any NPC sororities that discriminated by Major.
Old 10-27-2015, 11:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
Theta Phi Alpha was the *last* of the NPC members to discriminate. (On non-Catholic campuses they only took Catholic Women). This was removed in 1968.

You need to go way, way back (to the 1870-1900 years).
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 10-27-2015, 05:18 PM
GreekChat Member

In 1963 AEPhi, DPhiE and SDT all had their own recruitments at Alabama. Everyone would go to all the houses on the first day and then all the Jewish women would go only to those 3 houses for the remainder of recruitment. I don't know when that changed but would imagine by 1970 or so
Old 10-27-2015, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Theta Phi Alpha was the *last* of the NPC members to officially discriminate. (On non-Catholic campuses they only took Catholic Women). This was removed in 1968.

FYP.

Also, does that mean if a non-Catholic was attending a Catholic college, they could join?
Old 10-27-2015, 06:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
FYP.

Also, does that mean if a non-Catholic was attending a Catholic college, they could join?
How many officially discriminated? I know it wasn't uncommon among the fraternities, and many of them only removed discriminatory clauses within the last 50-75 years.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
In 1963 AEPhi, DPhiE and SDT all had their own recruitments at Alabama. Everyone would go to all the houses on the first day and then all the Jewish women would go only to those 3 houses for the remainder of recruitment. I don't know when that changed but would imagine by 1970 or so
Did a Jewish woman have the option to go through "regular" recruitment at that time, or was that discouraged? Or was it something that just had never been done? Do you know of any Jewish women who may have attempted to go through "regular" rush and were/were not successful?
Old 10-27-2015, 07:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
FYP.

Only Catholic women were considered for membership, regardless of the college's religious affiliation.

Last edited by glittergal1985; 10-27-2015 at 10:34 PM.
Old 10-28-2015, 05:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
FYP.

Not sure in which way you fixed my post. Please explain further.
Old 10-28-2015, 05:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glittergal1985 View Post
Only Catholic women were considered for membership, regardless of the college's religious affiliation.
Theta Phi Alpha had a time where due to the President of Creighton University's insistence they allowed non-Catholic women at Catholic Universities and only Catholic women at non-Catholic Universities. So all women at Creighton and only Catholics at U of Michigan. This ended in 1968. I'm working from the Theta Phi Alpha history book here.
Old 10-28-2015, 06:03 PM

Quote:
TPA may have been the last to have something in their policies but I'm sure there were chapters out there where it was an unwritten rule that this or that religion was not welcome long after that.
Old 10-28-2015, 06:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
She added the word "officially," meaning that discrimination in many organizations went on past the point where official clauses were removed. (I know that a former poster here talked about a family friend who was African-American and pledged an organization in the early '70s where there was pressure from nationals to depledge her, for example.) For some organizations, there's a difference between the years when organizations removed their discriminatory clauses and the years where the national board actually stopped trying to enforce it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post
How many officially discriminated? I know it wasn't uncommon among the fraternities, and many of them only removed discriminatory clauses within the last 50-75 years.
I've been trying to find this information for years, and it's surprisingly hard to dig up unless you've got access to all the official documents at headquarters. I know that in the book Bound by a Mighty Vow, the author said that Theta didn't have any written policies (but of course they had unwritten ones). She also cited a 1926 survey of the 17 NPC members stated that 5 of them had official Protestants-only policies. She even mentions that a few chapters kept non-Christians to a percentage of the chapter or even an actual number limit! And information on which organizations had official race-related discrimination policies is even harder to find.

I think a lot of the sororities have refused to confess their previous whites-only/Protestants-only policies out of embarrassment. And they should be embarrassed about it--but I don't think there's any reason why they should be more embarrassed than the organizations who didn't have written policies but did have unwritten ones. (Which, uh, is basically all of them.) Nobody's hands are clean in this--even the historically Jewish groups tended to discriminate against less assimilated, more "foreign" Jewish girls. I don't think that the existence of official policies signifies much--I'm just interested in it from the standpoint of historical curiosity. I wish the groups would put it out there.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tcsparky
I would guess that many organizations don't reveal past membership criteria because, even if it is in the past, it is still membership selection information. This would have been shared only with initiated sisters then, and would most likely only be shared with initiates now.