GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,492
3 members and 2,489 guests
No Members online

Old 06-20-2007, 04:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
WoW! I love this thread!!! I hope it stays up forever so that we can always share our happy stories.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-18-2007, 01:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to minDyG
Bump? I don't have a story to tell but I love my sisters and I'd love to hear some other people's stories so I can get my feel-good moment of the day.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:04 AM
GreekChat Member

well this story is only a little one, but i have been thinking about it all day and then i randomly ran across this thread so i thought i would share it. i must warn you it is a little gross. once we were having a retreat and michelle had a runny nose, and there not a tissue in sight. catalina didn't hessitate for one second to pull out her sleeve so michelle could blow her nose. i just don't know any gdis that have that kind of dedication to their friends!
Old 07-18-2007, 10:19 AM
GreekChat Member

I have one! It was the day after bid day, so keep in mind that I barely knew any of these girls -the only person I really knew much about was my friend who I had english class with. A pledge sister of mine along with three other actives and I had gone to one of their friend's houses for a party. My pledge sister and I were sitting together in a big armchair talking, just sorta getting to know each other (the one sister who I knew well knew her well through a mutual friend and had claimed we were "gonna be best friends...seriously" -we were trying to see if that was the case)
So anyway, we're sitting there, the sisters are off talking to other people and my pledge sister starts telling me about why she rushed and I can't believe it...she's telling my story exactly. She's talking about wanting to find the type of girls who were down for anything, whether it's sitting around in PJs watching TV or heading out on a road trip in the middle of the night just because, about wanting to find her place in a school that's pretty daunting, and how she thought seriously about transferring until this wonderful, amazing group of girls came along. She even felt held back because of a long-distance boyfriend just like I did! All of a sudden I was in tears -I hadn't been so happy in such a long time. Of course we're still in a room full of people so I'm bawling for no apparent reason with all of these people I don't know and I'm starting to feel like a complete idiot when she leaned over and hugged me. All of a sudden the three other sisters who were there appeared and were hugging the two of us too. One big Kappa Delta group hug in the middle of a party! One of their guy friends came over and asked what was going on (rather loudly) and my sister picked up her head, gave him a rather withering look and said "It's a sister thing...you wouldn't get it." and put her head back down. I have never felt more safe or loved in my whole life.
Cut to the end of the semester, I'm great friends with all of the girls who were there that night, the girl from my pledge class is indeed my best friend at school and the girl who made the defending comment is my roommate for next semester!
Love these girls more than life -truly an AOT moment!
Old 07-18-2007, 01:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to WVU alpha phi
I think this is a great story about West Virginia's Greek community.
Several years ago during our chapter meeting our President announced that a fraternity member's father had died from cancer. The family wanted his ashes to be scattered over Vietnam (they're Vietnamese) but couldn't afford it. Our president asked to each to throw in a couple bucks, which isn't a bad amount of money for a chapter with 90 girls.
Not sure how much money was raised, but I know the family was able to scatter the father's ashes over Vietnam. And that fraternity member is now a close friend of mine and was also president of his fraternity his senior year.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jaade124
I have a great story to share from March of this year. It was a Saturday night and my sorority was holding our annual (which we were mandated to do by our school even though its not really okay with our national headquarters). An annual is basically an on-campus, DRY, themed party that every organization holds to raise money for one cause or another. Anyway, I wasn't there bc of family stuff and so I didn't hear all this until I returned to school. Two of my sisters were in a very bad car accident driving from their house to campus for the annual. The driver basically lost control of her SUV and it went directly into a tree. A brother of SAE drove by the scene of the accident and saw a Phi Sig bumper sticker on her car and immediately knew who it was. He called one of our sisters at the party and immediately five sisters left the party and went to the hospital (only five bc we some of us had to wait until the party was over). They waited in the ER by the sides of our two injured sisters' beds and provided as much information to the doctors as they could. They also called their families.

The girls were separated into two rooms and, upon visiting, my entire chapter kept harrassing doctors, nurses, orderlies, WHOEVER to get them in the same room. Eventually they did move them together. There wasn't a blank space on their walls. There were cards, flowers, candy, signs, PHI SIG, EVERYWHERE and there was a constant flow of visitors coming in and out of their rooms...not only our sorority. But many members of other organizations on our campus visited them and brought them gifts. It was so touching when people I hardly knew on campus in other orgs came up to me and asked "How are your sisters? Let us know if you or they need anything". It was truly amazing and touching to see the outpour of love that came from other orgs and from within our own chapter.

We also helped out their parents/families whenever they needed it. If they needed a break to rest, clean, eat we'd stick with Hanna and Lara (the two injured). I, as well as many of my sisters, visited them everyday. I helped wash Lara's hair once or twice and I helped her brush her teeth often when I was there. Even though her hip was dislocated, she wouldn't give up good hygeine haha.

Anyway, thats my story. Sorry its kinda long but I think its a great story of sisterhood and love.

Epsilon Kappa Alumni
Aim High, Do or Die!
Old 07-18-2007, 10:03 PM
GreekChat Member

the thing that makes me really sad about this thread is how come stories like this don't make into the media, in books like pledged and the new show greek? these are all really great stories! i wish there was a way to share these in the media.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:15 PM
GreekChat Member

"Chicken Soup" for the Sorority/Fraternity Woman's soul? Imagine the impact a book like that could have on the future of Greek life!
Kappa Alpha Theta "The Fraternity was always second in my mind to coeducation. It was organized to help the girls win out in their fight to stay in college on a man's campus. We had to make a place for women in a man's world, and the Fraternity was one means to that bigger end." -Bettie Locke Hamilton
Old 07-19-2007, 01:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to audaz49 Send a message via Yahoo to audaz49
Its funny, but my most touching story comes from the semester before I pledged. I went through the "rush" process for my sorority and during my interview, I revealed that my mom had just been diagnosed with cancer. Though I was a strong candidate, the ladies decided not to accept me for that semester's pledge class because of what I was going through with my family. But over the course of the semester, I went from wanting to be a member, to knowing that I HAD to become a member, because without the way that the sisters rallied around me and supported me all through that hardest time, I would never have made it.
#49 Audaz
1 of 3, Spring '04
Gamma Chapter
Sigma Lambda Gamma
National Sorority Inc.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:57 PM
GreekChat Member

another one...

this past wednesday night, i was in a car crash. the people who hit me (yes, it was their fault) were completely oblivious and didn't even come to the car to see if i was alive. they were completely unharmed but unfortunately i sustained severe injurues including a fractured ankle, a shattered anke, and a completely destroyed kneecap. i called my fiance from the hospital and he called the president of my chapter, who is also my line sister, and within hours, there were tons of e-mails, visits, and flowers from all over the states. some of my line sisters even drove in from all over Louisiana to come to the hospital. one of the girls kept a live update through e-mail so that all my sisters could keep informed. the outpouring of love and support, especially from sisters i've never even met before really got me through the emotional trauma better than most patients would. I LOVE MY SISTERS!!!!!!!
Old 07-23-2007, 08:45 PM
GreekChat Member

i just got my wisdom teeth out on friday and was TERRIFIED...when i came home and was snuggled in bed, not only did i have 15 voicemails waiting for me (and my surgery was at 8am, so that means my sisters had more than likely woken up just to leave me a voicemail), but within the hour i had three sisters knocking on my door, feeding me jello and watching movies with me all day...

not much, but it sure means a lot to a girl like me!
Old 07-23-2007, 08:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Ilaria -WOW - glad you are alright (well, other than the busted kneecap and ankles!) and your sisters are there for you. Get well soon!
Alrphimu - the whole wisdom tooth thing is no fun - hope you recover quickly!
Old 07-05-2008, 08:59 PM
Super Moderator

I can think of two specific examples:

When I was still in school, one of our sisters got a detached retina from playing raquetball without glasses. She was in the hospital for over a month, with both eyes bandaged, as the eyes work in sympathy with each other. We all took turns staying with her during visiting hours, as her family lived too far away to stay with her during the week. Fortunately, her sight was saved!

When I was going through my divorce, one of my closest sisters who lived in San Diego at the time called me almost daily to ask how I was doing. God bless her - I was a mess! But I finally started to turn the corner, and call her one day, and said, "What are you doing this weekend?" She asked why, and I responded, "You've been so good to me, I thought a quick trip to Tiajuana was in order!" I later found out that a quickie divorce didn't solve the property problems, but we still had a great time.

And of course, most of ya'll have heard me tell the story of our sister, Sarai.

Last edited by honeychile; 01-17-2009 at 10:38 PM.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:08 PM
GreekChat Member

The year I was VP Membership, my computer ate dirt and died two days before rush started. On it were all of the photos that sisters had diligently sent me over the summer so that I could print them out and use them on the Round 1 display boards - which I'd been planning to do the next day. Like the computer illiterate I was, I hadn't thought to make a backup copy of the files. I was about ready to fall to pieces, but several of my sisters went on a madcap raid of the house, collecting the photo albums and boxes of every sister in the house and presenting me with twice as many pictures as I needed to make the boards.

After they saved me from that potential breakdown, I needed to get away for a few minutes, so I drove over to the McDonalds and got fries and a pink lemonade (not my usual fare, but when I get the rare fries-and-pink-lemonade craving, it will not be denied). I left them downstairs in the sorority house to go up and check on the display boards, and when I came down, the fries were still there but the drink was gone - our house manager had assumed someone had left it accidentally and thrown away!

This wouldn't usually have fazed me, but I was so high-strung after my computer's untimely demise and the near-crisis of the display boards, and then to lose my comfort drink on top of it...it was the straw that broke the camel's back. I ended up sitting in the TV room (on the floor, since the furniture had been removed for rush), crying like a baby, much to the dismay of our poor house manager. She found my little sis, who was on her way out on an anniversary date with her boyfriend (who wasn't my biggest fan to begin with), and my little, after seeing what a wreck I was, commandeered his car to go pick me up another pink lemonade despite his protests and their plans - and it was twice as big as my first one!

It's not a big, lifechanging thing, but right then it felt like the end of the world, and those picture-stealing sisters and my little will always hold a special place in my heart for it.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to WVU alpha phi
Bumping this thread because I was on facebook today and came across something I thought was really nice. A girl I've met once through mutual friends (she goes to another school) had her father pass away on Christmas Day. She was a KD at another school (transferred out of that school) and her boyfriend is a DTD at her current school. She had facebook pictures up of the flowers various people had sent for her father and she had several bouquets from KD (the chapter she is no longer a part of) and her boyfriend's chapter of DTD. I thought it was really nice that the chapters took the time to send her family flowers during this difficult time.

I especially thought it was sweet of her boyfriend's chapter to send flowers- I might mention that they are at a school in the deep south, and I think it's just a great example of southern manners. I can think of a select few fraternity chapters at my school that I think would do something like that.