GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,605
1 members and 1,604 guests
No Members online

Old 12-15-2004, 12:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorority Previews

Hello everyone!

I am new to this forum. I thought it would be a great idea to join this chat and see what great things greeks are doing at their schools. I have a question for the Panhellenic (GLO's) sorority members out there. At my university as we are trying to step up recruitment and market ourselves. This fall we want to have a sorority preview a week before actual recruitment starts. For those of you who have sorority previews what kinds of things do you do during that event? Thanks in advance for your help!

Old 12-16-2004, 11:26 AM
GreekChat Member

I am not sure if this is exactly what you are talking about, but we have deferred recruitment (January) at Furman. In December, a day after the formal recruitment deadline has past (usually the first Saturday of the month), we hold "Open House," which is like a mock Round 1. The PNMs are in their Alpha Zeta (Rho Gamma, recruitment counselor, etc) groups and go through all the sororities' parties like it was Round 1 day, but parties are half the time (15 minutes each with 15 minute break in between each). We don't have houses, so we hold the parties in the same rooms around campus that we will have Round 1 in (like in the University Center, Residence hall parlors, etc). We can't do any entrance/exit songs or cheering, no decorations, but we can all wear the same thing (which is our sorority's recruitment shirts) and play a cd when they come in. It is a chance for PNMs to see sort of what Round 1 will be like (girls grabbing them at the door and going through a rotation) and for the sorority women to get a chance to practice rotations, which is especially great for first-time recruiters! Hope that helped!
Old 12-25-2004, 04:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to MissOh2Cute Send a message via Yahoo to MissOh2Cute
This is a little bit different....at our school, Freshman Orientation is actually called "PREVIEW" and on the first night there is a Student Organization Fair. Our formal rush is in the fall and all Previews are held throughout the summer. Panhellenic had a table as well as the 5 other chapters on campus, and though we could tell about our chapters and our accomplishments, we could only push Formal Rush. It was a GREAT marketing tool and we actually got quite a few sisters that we met during Orientations.
Old 12-25-2004, 07:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nauadpi Send a message via Yahoo to nauadpi
Quote:
Originally posted by MissOh2Cute
This is a little bit different....at our school, Freshman Orientation is actually called "PREVIEW" and on the first night there is a Student Organization Fair. Our formal rush is in the fall and all Previews are held throughout the summer. Panhellenic had a table as well as the 5 other chapters on campus, and though we could tell about our chapters and our accomplishments, we could only push Formal Rush. It was a GREAT marketing tool and we actually got quite a few sisters that we met during Orientations.
That is really funny cause that is exactly the same way Nothern Arizona University has run things for the past few years... They even called it Previews..
Old 12-26-2004, 12:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KDwxgrrl
At our school freshman aren't allowed to rush until January, but we have informal rush for upperclassmen in the fall. So the week before rush starts, the fraternities and sororities all have a Friday afternoon where they set up tables on the lawn in the middle of campus with some information, and anyone can walk around and look. Then in December, before rush starts, we have a day where interested girls walk around in groups to each sorority's chapter room (we only have rooms in a dorm where we all live, no houses) and each room has a theme to talk about: finances, academics, philanthropy, etc. No talking about your own sorority, just general sorority things. It's a good way for girls to get some questions answered before rush, and to have some exposure to the sorority women so they feel a bit more comfortable when rush starts in January.
Old 12-26-2004, 01:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to MissOh2Cute Send a message via Yahoo to MissOh2Cute
Our style of PREVIEW has its pros and cons, as do most things in life. The only MAJOR downside was the competitiveness between the chapters, which is a bit natural, but we were all out in the open watching each other. Panhell and the Rho Chis were there to make sure each potential got a chance to meet all 5 chapters, but other chapters would get mad at us when the potentials would want to come back and talk to our chapter, not their's. Ahh such is life!
Old 12-26-2004, 03:22 PM
GreekChat Member

hey florida admin are you at FAU? My cousin in an AZD alumna, I went down there and hung out with her sisters before (they were all really cool girls)
anyways good luck
Old 01-03-2005, 10:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Yes I am at FAU, what's your cousins name maybe I know her!