GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,114
0 members and 1,114 guests
No Members online

Old 07-09-2004, 06:25 PM
GreekChat Member

A Complete Rush Guide--A MUST READ!

I just stumbled across this website:
An Unofficial Guide to Sorority Rush
www.freewebs.com/sororityrush

It's very comprehensive....what do you guys think about it? Trash or treasure?

Last edited by LurksaLot; 07-11-2005 at 03:29 AM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-09-2004, 06:41 PM

wow. This site is very comprehensive, but I could disagree with it on a few points: Weight loss? What to wear? Overall good site, but I wouldn't take it as gospel.

Lakers Nation.
Old 07-09-2004, 07:03 PM
GreekChat Member

hijack-- LurksaLot and LaughALot? weird how these things happen
Old 07-09-2004, 07:05 PM
GreekChat Member

lol, I didn't even notice!
Old 07-09-2004, 07:57 PM
GreekChat Member

You can tell that the author really put a lot of time and effort into this site. Good information!
Old 07-09-2004, 08:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JocelynC
wow. This site is very comprehensive, but I could disagree with it on a few points: ....

Overall good site, but I wouldn't take it as gospel.
Co-sign, JocelynC! A few things that struck me as potentially misleading include:

* the suggestion that a good topic to talk to your rusher about is your boyfriend, if you have one -- probably not actually a great idea, since many chapters have been hassled all through Work Week to avoid "boys" as a topic, plus you might give the impression that Your Guy is so much a focus that you won't have time / interest for sisters

* the discussion of bid matching -- a really complex topic, of course -- gave me the impression that chapters "see" where a PNM ranks them. Usually this isn't true -- either it's done via computer or, where hand matching is done, advisers / alumnae who are involved are more or less sworn to confidentiality ... right?

* this one's kind of subtle, and is probably unintentional, but the suggestion about getting a "tan" really applies a lot more to women with light skin colors rather than to those with naturally darker skin colors. It would have been okay advice for some of my nieces and cousins, but not for others, for example. I'd prefer for the advice to be more inclusive.

* the advice to ask your recruitment counselor if you have questions about what to wear can be a problem, I'd think. At some schools that are out in the middle of nowhere, for instance, you may not have the ability (even if you have the spare cash) to find a store with the "right" thing(s) at the last minute.

* Designer handbags and Tiffany jewelry -- ohhhhhhhhh-kaaaayyyy, maybe at some schools, but by no means all.

* What if you find yourself cut by all chapters before Pref? Or by all chapters that you feel you click with? This isn't particularly well covered, but it can happen.

* and finally, to be awfully nit-picky, Stanford didn't have an awesome sorority scene in the 1950s; sororities were banned there in 1944 and didn't begin to return until the late 1970s and early 1980s.

Last edited by exlurker; 07-09-2004 at 08:49 PM.
Old 07-09-2004, 09:07 PM
GreekChat Member

cosign exlurker and jocelync

* the bit about Stanford bugs be quite a bit though, as its almost completely inaccurate. I could go on, but I won't.

* very good point about being crosscut
Old 07-09-2004, 09:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PureGoldF2K1
Ugh, I found that whole preparation and appearance section disgusting. I didn't even have the stomach to read any further after reading about losing weight, wearing ONLY designers and nothing fake, and nit-picking right down to putting baby powder between your thighs. If you really want to make a good impression appearance-wise, just make sure you're clean, neat, comfortable, dressed in appropriate styles for the particular day of recruitment, and smile!
Old 07-09-2004, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by PureGoldF2K1
Ugh, I found that whole preparation and appearance section disgusting. I didn't even have the stomach to read any further after reading about losing weight, wearing ONLY designers and nothing fake, and nit-picking right down to putting baby powder between your thighs. If you really want to make a good impression appearance-wise, just make sure you're clean, neat, comfortable, dressed in appropriate styles for the particular day of recruitment, and smile!
I agree. I honestly don't think PNM's really need to see that part. All that talk about appearance can really make a rushee feel like that's ALL we're looking at. I was disgusted by the weight loss thing in particular. I can literally SEE a PNM freaking out and running for the gym and a haircut after reading this

Lakers Nation.
Old 07-09-2004, 11:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Yikes! I hope some of those things were overstated. I would hope that the girls would be paying more attention to my conversation than whether or not my bracelet was fake. I mean, I know people notice those types of things, but geez, that site makes me kinda nervous!

-Jessica
Old 07-09-2004, 11:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Either almost in Mississippi or almost in Georgia, or traveling in between
Send a message via AIM to bekibug
We put in our recruitment handbooks examples of what to wear, as modeled by our lovely Pi Chi's. I love how they make sure to say that pantyhose during recruitment are nice, "but remember, this is August in Alabama!"
Old 07-10-2004, 07:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HappyGoLucky
Yikes! I hope some of those things were overstated. I would hope that the girls would be paying more attention to my conversation than whether or not my bracelet was fake. I mean, I know people notice those types of things, but geez, that site makes me kinda nervous!

-Jessica
Don't worry Jessica. You are absolutely correct about what you are hoping for and I can assure you it is out there. Of course, there are the chapters that will judge you heavily on your dress, jewelery, what your parent's do, etc. And you will get this vibe when you are there believe me.

Dress is important in that it is appropriate, tasteful, you are neat in appearance, clean, etc. All of that goes along with putting your best foot forward and should most certainly be done. However, if you are doing that then don't sweat the small stuff and focus on those houses where you feel most comfortable. Trust me when I tell you that if you keep an open mind and don't feel swayed by 'the crowd' or 'the popular house' then you will find the sisterhood you are looking for.

Keep us up to date - we are so excited for you!!!
Old 07-11-2004, 12:55 AM
GreekChat Member

hijack-- LurksaLot and LaughALot? weird how these things happen

haha that's funny! i had it first! lol jk
Old 07-11-2004, 01:29 AM
GreekChat Member

I wonder where this girl goes to school? Designer everything? Wow I would be scared to go through rush if I had read this.
Old 07-11-2004, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator

gosh, i'm impressed. with the exception of a few things, that person did a good job of rolling recruitment into a nut shell.

#1-pnm's....do not talk about your boyfriend. i have heard horror stories where a pnm was chatting away with ther sorority hostess about their boyfriends, only to find out they were talking about the SAME guy!!!! seems patty pnm's boyfriend graduated a year before her, and after pledging his undying love for her ,headed off to state u., he joined the fraternity scene and meet susie sorority whom he promptly pledged his undying love to(except when he went home to visit his parents and patty pnm), keeping both girls in the dark, until they met during recruitment. as you can imagine, both girls were devasted when they figured out what a heel they had for a boyfriend, and that party was a disaster from that moment on. patty pnm was promptly not invited back to susie's sorority, which had been her favorite. better to find this out After recruitment, when the two girls are bound in sisterhood and can both get even with the cad!!

#2-as for the getting in shape a bit, i think that it is good advice.many campuses are large and spread out. the campus of florida state is very hilly (for florida!)and pnm's walk a good distance to get from one sorority house to the other. the scheduling of your parties often has you racing from one end of campus to the opposite end and back again.if you are a couch potato and not used to so much walking, especially in the bright florida sunshine, you will arrive wilted-sore feet, flushed face, and "glowing"(gentlemen perspire, horses sweat and ladies "glow"). not putting your best foot forward.

#3- if a pnm asked to use the bathroom at a recruitment event, i never took it that she was not interested in my house. i took it that she had been to a lot of parties where beverages were offered to her, and to be polite she drank them all, and consequently she needed to go!!

#4- even though she got into a great detail about grooming and clothes selection, i feel that it could be helpful to a pnm, if taken with a grain of salt. her list of stores should be used as a guideline. you can go and look at the stores listed to see what they have, and if you can't afford it, find something comparable at a less expensive store.while we were all fortunate and our mothers told us about eyebrow plucking and makeup application, everyone hasn't been as fortunate. but pnm's, the most important thing is to be neat in appearance, clean, deodorized, mouth washed or breath minted, hair clean and nicely brushed. if you are rushing at a campus where it is especially hot and humid, and there is a nice long break for lunch, you could use the opportunity to take a quick second shower to freshen up. it just might make you feel better and give you a confidence boost. redo your hair and makeup and possibly change clothes if it has been an especially hot day.

Last edited by FSUZeta; 07-11-2004 at 08:44 AM.