GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 541
0 members and 541 guests
No Members online

Old 09-29-2009, 02:22 AM
GreekChat Member

What do you think my chances are?

Hi all! First all I've spent hours reading through threads here and want to say thank you for the amazing information!

I'm a transfer student to Cal State San Bernardino. I'm a sophomore, although I am probably going to be changing my major and may end up staying more than 4 years, who knows. My rush week is next week and I'm nervous but very excited.

I don't have any letters of rec, I'll see if I can get some but I realize it's very short notice. Are they going to be super important at this school?

I have pretty good grades, got a 3.42 GPA last year. I also have a decent amount of community service.

I want to know how competitive recruitment will be at this school and how big of a disadvantage I'll be at due to my status as sophomore. What's the best way to overcome that disadvantage?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Forget to mention my other major concern. I have a part time job (which I absolutely love, btw) and it just isn't realistic for me to get the whole week off for rush week (nor could I afford that - luckily my parents would be paying for all fees related to joining a sorority so that wouldn't be a problem). So, it's realistic to expect that I'll have to miss or at least be late to one or more parties. How should I handle this situation, and how will it affect me?

Last edited by rachel762; 09-29-2009 at 02:49 AM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-29-2009, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel762 View Post
Hi all! First all I've spent hours reading through threads here and want to say thank you for the amazing information!

I'm a transfer student to Cal State San Bernardino. I'm a sophomore, although I am probably going to be changing my major and may end up staying more than 4 years, who knows. My rush week is next week and I'm nervous but very excited.

I don't have any letters of rec, I'll see if I can get some but I realize it's very short notice. Are they going to be super important at this school?

I have pretty good grades, got a 3.42 GPA last year. I also have a decent amount of community service.

I want to know how competitive recruitment will be at this school and how big of a disadvantage I'll be at due to my status as sophomore. What's the best way to overcome that disadvantage?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Forget to mention my other major concern. I have a part time job (which I absolutely love, btw) and it just isn't realistic for me to get the whole week off for rush week (nor could I afford that - luckily my parents would be paying for all fees related to joining a sorority so that wouldn't be a problem). So, it's realistic to expect that I'll have to miss or at least be late to one or more parties. How should I handle this situation, and how will it affect me?
If you choose to go through recruitment, you should let your Rho Chi/Rho Gamma know that you'll have to miss some parties. Of course, it is up to the chapter to decide whether to invite you back if you don't attend their parties, but it is good to let your Rho Chi know so that she can tell them you'll be absent.

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:13 AM

You should be able to get off work for the days of rush. It's only five days, and two of those days are just two hours, in the evening, and it looks like they're not even mandatory. So that's three days.

http://studentleadership.csusb.edu/G...ecruitment.htm

I mean this is a pretty easy schedule, compared to some I've seen. If you are going to have issues making these events, you might want to rethink sorority membership.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
You should be able to get off work for the days of rush. It's only five days, and two of those days are just two hours, in the evening, and it looks like they're not even mandatory. So that's three days.

http://studentleadership.csusb.edu/G...ecruitment.htm

I mean this is a pretty easy schedule, compared to some I've seen. If you are going to have issues making these events, you might want to rethink sorority membership.
I got the three mandatory days off, but it was too late for me to request for Monday and Wednesday. I just started working there so I don't have any sort of "clout" and can't really get away with anything like putting in these requests so late. They haven't had me work Monday and Wednesday before, but you never know. Hopefully it won't be a problem.