GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,327
1 members and 1,326 guests
No Members online

Old 10-27-2001, 10:15 AM
GreekChat Member

That is so scary...

The possible policy of Rush next year is scary, at best...even if it's not true, it's still true in some extent--that due to expected enrollment increases, more women will rush, putting even more of a strain on the system as we know it...I wish another sorority could come onto campus there, but I imagine it'd be a tough process.

I think this is happening everywhere--Florida's had its Academic Scholars program, and Georgia's got the HOPE scholarship, which is fairly new. This not only has an impact on the number of rushees--put puts strains on everything, from parking to housing. I honestly don't know what can be done...
Old 10-27-2001, 11:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Cool wow

that recruitment scenario sounds scary.
when dealing with large numbers of people, you can never guarantee anything. i see some broken hearts on the horizon.
justamom, sounds like it's all good with your sweetie. she should grab everything out there -- all a's and some good leadership and some good fun.
cheers
mmcat
Old 10-27-2001, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator

Georgia's HOPE scholarship has definitely had an effect on rushee numbers. It's hard to even get into UGA now because the people with high grades and SATs who used to go to private out-of-state colleges like Duke and Vandy are opting to stay in Georgia.

This means that if you do get into UGa and you think you have a super shot at rush because you have a 4.0 and a 1300 on your SATs, big deal! So do at least half of the other twenty billion rushees--and they've all got great high school activities too! I saw the scholarship rankings at UGa recently--seems like most of the sororities were in the 3.3-3.4 range.

You'd think that all the sororities there would be full but as usually happens, they aren't because so many rushees get their hearts set on certain groups and would rather be independent than not join one of their preferred groups.
Old 10-27-2001, 03:40 PM
GreekChat Member

You would think that the weaker groups on these campuses would work on revitalization in order to improve their competitive advantage.

It is not very realistic for NPC orgs not on that that campus to expand on, mostly because of the housing commitment. And having an unhoused chapter there would be suicide.
Old 10-27-2001, 04:18 PM

LSU's land situation

Is it that the land is just not available (i.e., everything that is appropriately zoned is in use and they won't change the zoning to open anything else up) or that there is zoned land and it's just far away from the other houses?

If it is the latter, and 2 houses came in at once, it would eliminate the "one house out in the middle of nowhere" factor somewhat.

(rant) May I just say how much I think it SUCKS that hundreds of women get left out of Greek life every year just because of housing issues. Yes it's nice to live with your sisters, but I would rather have sisterhood with no house than no sisterhood at all.
Old 10-27-2001, 09:23 PM
GreekChat Member

h200t seems to have the most current information. The houses are beautiful and to build a comprable one today would break the bank. Nov. 10th is PARENTS DAY!!!! We get to go and meet everyone. I am so excited I could SPIT! (Old Kansas saying)

From what I understand, you have to have all houses within a membership range. Until then, they won't even consider adding a new soro. This year, one of the soros that has had a trying time making quota, made quota PLUS! Also, they are said to have a great pledge class, not just by other girls, but by the new freshmen guys. If rush is as large next year, I can see images changing. IT ONLY TAKES ONE PLEDGE CLASS to turn things around. I really believe this.

This other soro still has trouble getting mixers, but has been told once the older guys are gone and they get a new chair in, they can look forward to more exchanges. I sure hope all works out for them.
Old 10-28-2001, 07:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking have fun

have a ball on nov. 10...and be sure and keep us posted on how great things are going for your daughter.
mmcat
Old 10-28-2001, 09:49 AM

33, I'm with you on the "no house = sorority will die" idea. I just can't fathom it. When I went through rush at my school, only 1 sorority (out of 5) had a house and they had just gotten it. 2 more sororities have since gotten houses, 1 is looking, and the other one (mine) isn't. (Of course, I went to school in the Northeast, which is a different animal...)

I wonder if it would be possible to set aside a floor or two of a dorm for a new sorority to occupy for a year or two? PNM's would simply be told that the sorority had just recently colonized and would probably have a house by the time they're juniors. (And if the colony hadn't been chartered yet, they could also be sold on how interesting it is to be a chapter founder )

The new sorority might not be able to get their numbers quite so high without a house, but if they got houses within a couple of years, in the long run that wouldn't hurt them.
Old 10-28-2001, 01:13 PM
GreekChat Member

off topic

This is totally off topic but thought I'd post anyways.

Aephi--
There have been alot of topics about the southern greek system and rushing in the south. What is the northern/east coast greek system like? Is the west coast greek system very different from both the northern and southern greek systems?

Just curious :-)
Old 10-28-2001, 05:49 PM

To be honest, from my Northern rush experiences is really wasn't THAT different. But Kent typically draws students from all of Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, Michigan, and other surrounding areas. It isn't like Justamom described where you have big groups of girls from the same HS rushing together. Iwent to a HS in the next town from my college and there were only a handful of local girls rushing. You also don't have the big legacy thing here so much. We had legacies but there were few enough of them that they usually got into houses (not necessarily what they were a leg to) with no prob.

One big difference is that the greek life just doesn't have the same universal appeal in the North. People tend to be a lot more independent. The whole "tradition" thing isn't such a big deal except for the pockets of blue-blood areas around here. Kent's rush numbers are pathetic for a big school. Even when I went through there were 500+ girls going for spots in 6 houses and the big chapters were at 120 or so....with that it was only a 4% greek pop.

I would like to hear about Ivy League or New England schools rush....I bet greek life there is something!
Old 10-28-2001, 08:40 PM

Well, I went to a state school (what used to be called teachers colleges) and here are some of the major diffs from what I've read on GC.

-We never used recs (we got maybe one the whole time I was there and had no idea what to do with it)
-Rush before school started was unheard of
-Pretty much everyone who wanted a bid got one...maybe not to their first choice but if you wanted to be Greek, you could be.
-Like Erika said the legacy thing wasn't a big deal, we had them once in a while but didn't have entire pledge classes full of legacies.
-You didn't move into the house right away, all the houses were off campus and everyone was locked into housing by the time rush was over

Of course, this is just my experience...Penn State and the private institutions like Lehigh and Bucknell are totally different. But I would wager most states are like that.
Old 10-28-2001, 09:12 PM

33girl hit most of the big points. We would use recs if we got them but generally if there was someone coming through who was either a legacy or a friend, who was interested in our chapter, we knew about her in advance and didn't need the recs. One big difference from what she listed though is that at Kent, there was no way everyone got a bid. It was especially brutal the year I rushed because although Tri-sig figured in for quota computation, they did not actually participate in formal rush. So there were all these leftover girls at the end who didn't get bids, and Tri-Sig tried to snap bid everyone. But even after that year there would still be a lot of girls who didn't get a house. It seems to me that most of the schools described on GC had a number of "strong" or "popular" houses, especially if they were a big school, but then two or three times that number in other houses so that the members of the less prestigious houses don't feel so conspicuous. Not so at Kent. There were only 3 prestige houses, where most of the rushees wanted to go from the start, one mediocre house, and two weaker chapters. The prestige houses tended to get the higher numbers, and since there wasn't much else to choose from a lot of girls suicided/and or dropped out. I have a friend who went to the U of Wis. at Madison and she told me that they had like 2 or 3 super elite houses, then a huge middle tier, and then just a handful of really poor image chapters. That would seem to me to be the ideal situation. In the South it seems to me that if there are 10 houses, for example, 7 of them are very selective and prestigious and then the other 3 are the opposite.
Akron U, which is only 20 minutes from KSU, had basically the same setup we did except the chapters that were really hot at Kent (Chi O, Alpha Phi, Dee Gee) were not so great and then they had some houses that we didn't (KKG, AGD, ADII, Theta)
Old 10-28-2001, 10:38 PM
Super Moderator

I've never given this deep thought before but the number of prestige houses on a big Southern campus varies greatly. In the seventies at the 3 schools I got degrees from, one school was said to have 4 high prestige groups, 3 medium, and 2 low; another campus was 6-5-3; and another, if you can believe this, was 1-3-2-2 (yes, one group was extremely high prestige as compared to the next 3 who were just "high").

Closings and openings of several chapters on each campus have since redone that a little but I'm told that all the high prestige groups on those campuses remain so and that there are still many rushees who wouldn't think of accepting a bid from any tier but the supposed top one. Sad! The middle tiers contain some outstanding groups.
Old 10-29-2001, 07:30 PM

Rush at my school was nowhere near as competitive as what I've heard about rush in the south. The sororities at my school pretty much invited everyone back after round 1 - that's how few people went through rush - out of 400-500 women in each freshman class, maybe 150 rushed. Sororities cut hard after round 2, but probably >90% of women got invited back to at least one house for pref, and most of the remainder were women who just gave rush a chance and didn't see anything right for them, so they were happy being independent.

It was unusual, though it did happen, for women to drop out of rush because they didn't like their returns.

I've never heard the sororities at my school described as prestige vs. non-prestige. If I were pressed I'd have to say there were 5 prestige sororities. (Fraternities are another story.)

We never had a legacy come through, and I don't think we'd have known what to do with a rec if we'd seen one...

The only similarity I've seen between my school and southern schools is that it's extremely difficult to get a bid past freshman year, unless you're a sophomore transfer.
Old 10-29-2001, 10:40 PM

From everything I have heard on GC, Kent State University is the ONLY school in the USA where being a sophomore rushee is actually an advantage!!!!! And I don't even know if this is the case anymore. But for quite a long stretch there, a lot of the really primo a-list girls were coming in and waiting, so they could get in good with the sorority they wanted and also with the fraternity guys who hung out with them. I personally hated that as an active, because then these girls got too hung up on one particular chapter and then you really had to fight hard for them even if the chapter they wanted dropped them. I have to admit we were pretty lucky because we almost always got the girls we wanted, but it still was irritating.