GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,934
0 members and 1,934 guests
No Members online

Old 08-11-2003, 12:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to OUlioness01
i really like this thread. it's neat learning about the other NPC GLOs. i hope people keep on responding!
Old 08-11-2003, 01:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Well, this thread is getting to be three miles long, and while I know that the point is to get to know about other sororities, I am only going to take the time to make a comment about one for now. I am a Phi Sig sister, and my little sister (my real little sister) rushed at a school with a Phi Sig chapter, but pledged Phi Mu. I couldn't be happier that she joined such a wonderful NPC. Everything that she has told me sounds great. Phi Mu is very devoted to philanthropy, and I was amazed at how much time this chapter finds to spend on sisterhood events. And, I do love your colors!
Old 08-11-2003, 02:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Alpha Chi Omega - I love your history and that you still use the lyre as a symbol although you are no longer a "musical" org
Alpha Delta Pi - you have fabulous GCers and a tremendous pride in your sisterhood
Alpha Epsilon Phi - I love that all your sisters wear the same badge
Alpha Gamma Delta - a fabulous Syracuse Triad org!
Alpha Omicron Pi - you seem to be very on the ball with things - AI, badge policy, etc
Alpha Phi - another great Syracuse org - and the women in your chapter at Marquette are wonderful!
Alpha Sigma Alpha - I think the unique celebrations are fabulous
Alpha Sigma Tau - I have soo much respect for your Delta Nu chapter, and know that whenever my chapter was having a hard time, I knew they had some similiar issues! (Hi LittleE)
Alpha Xi Delta - I love the heritage behind the quill
Chi Omega - I love how tech-savvy your EO is
Delta Delta Delta - the Lifelong program is a wonderful idea
Delta Gamma - I love the anchor and how well AI is working for you
Delta Phi Epsilon - Great open motto
Delta Zeta - Fun colors and a gorgeous badge
Gamma Phi Beta -
Kappa Alpha Theta - The "Theta Times" on your website is a great source of information
Kappa Delta - I have been impressed by every KD woman I've encountered
Kappa Kappa Gamma - I am so fond of your key and your wonderful songs
Phi Mu - I love all your symbols and colors
Phi Sigma Sigma - I love your badge!
Pi Beta Phi - Great history
Sigma Delta Tau - Great philanthropy
Sigma Kappa - Interesting history (Alpha, Beta, and Gamma chapters were all at the same college)
Sigma Sigma Sigma - The Doll Collection is a wonderful idea!
Theta Phi Alpha - I love the penguin (obviously) and the history...I really wish there were more TPA chapters
Zeta Tau Alpha - Love the colors and "love, the greatest of all things..."
Old 08-11-2003, 10:32 AM

Re: NPC Sorority Challenge

OK, I'll play

Alpha Chi Omega - Love the badge, especially with the new member stick pin that you keep and wear with the badge once initiated - what a unique idea!
Alpha Delta Pi - Love the open motto "We live for each other"
Alpha Epsilon Phi - I'm biased here
Alpha Gamma Delta - I like the purpose, and a chapter in Hawaii = very nice!
Alpha Omicron Pi - Interesting that AOII doesn't have a crest.
Alpha Phi - We share a flower (lily of the valley) and I like the creed.
Alpha Sigma Alpha - I like the idea of the four exemplars.
Alpha Sigma Tau - What an elegant badge.
Alpha Xi Delta - Al Fuzzie the bear - very cute mascot!
Chi Omega - I'm impressed with XO's size.
Delta Delta Delta - I like the dolphin mascot and the idea of different symbols for new members, collegiate members, and alumnae.
Delta Gamma - I found it interesting that a man was initiated and charged with promoting expansion in the North.
Delta Phi Epsilon - Love the open motto. Couldn't find the website though
Delta Zeta - Love the creed!
Gamma Phi Beta - IIRC, the term "sorority" was coined specifically for Gamma Phi Beta. How cool is that?
Kappa Alpha Theta - Love the colors and the kite
Kappa Delta - As a former Girl Scout, I like that one of Kappa Delta's philanthropies is the Girl Scouts.
Kappa Kappa Gamma - I like the key and the colors
Phi Mu - Love the creed and the open motto "Les Soeurs Fideles" (though every time I see it I have flashbacks to H.S. French...)
Phi Sigma Sigma - I like the idea that Phi Sigma Sigma was the first sorority founded specifically to be non-sectarian, and I love the sapphire
Pi Beta Phi - Love the arrow. Interesting history.
Sigma Delta Tau - I like the badge. Couldn't find the website
Sigma Kappa - Gerontology and Alzheimer's research are such worthwhile philanthropies.
Sigma Sigma Sigma - I love the doll collection idea
Theta Phi Alpha - Love the creed, and I found it interesting that a Catholic priest was instrumental in Theta Phi Alpha's founding.
Zeta Tau Alpha - I like the crown

Also, a bit of special recognition for the ladies of Alpha Phi, Alpha Chi Omega, Sigma Kappa, and Kappa Alpha Theta at my school - many of whom were very supportive to a certain new local sorority that is now a chapter of Alpha Epsilon Phi.

Thanks for starting this thread!
Old 08-11-2003, 11:03 AM

Re: Re: NPC Sorority Challenge

Quote:
Originally posted by aephi alum
Delta Phi Epsilon - Love the open motto. Couldn't find the website though http://www.dphie.org

Sigma Delta Tau - I like the badge. Couldn't find the website http://www.sigmadeltatau.com
Old 08-11-2003, 12:23 PM

Re: Re: Re: NPC Sorority Challenge

Quote:
Originally posted by AOIIalum
Delta Phi Epsilon - http://www.dphie.org

Sigma Delta Tau - http://www.sigmadeltatau.com
Thanks - I had tried deltaphiepsilon.org and sigmadeltatau.org.
Old 08-12-2003, 10:04 AM
GreekChat Member

OK, here's mine. Some reasons might seem silly, but they are stuff I realy do dig about the groups!

Alpha Chi Omega - besides having the 2 coolest Greek letters in your name, I love that you can look up pictures of chapter houses on the national website
Alpha Delta Pi - The first! And we all appreciate that!
Alpha Epsilon Phi - The crest with the columns and smoke is so different and interesting
Alpha Gamma Delta - All the ladies on GC, and the many I have met in real life, have been great reps for the org.
Alpha Omicron Pi - I think not having a crest and simply using the rose is really cool
Alpha Phi - Building the first chapter house paved the way for the best living experience of my college career!!! Thanks for the idea, ladies!
Alpha Sigma Alpha - I like the Exemplars idea (and I know the girl in the sweatshirt on the website, we taught dance camps together almost 10 years ago!)
Alpha Sigma Tau - They were formed at Eastern Michigan University - very near to where I grew up!
Alpha Xi Delta - an AXD wrote the Panhellenic creed, helping us on the path to Greek unity (plus I preffed them so they must be cool!)
Chi Omega - Well, duh!
Delta Delta Delta - I like the dolphin/trident water thing going on in some of the symbols. Plus I think it's cool that they were the subject of a very popular SNL skit!
Delta Gamma - I really like how all the chapters have Anchor Splash. I think it keeps the national philanthropic ideals really solid.
Delta Phi Epsilon - The Pearl Program
Delta Zeta - I love turtles!!!!!!
Gamma Phi Beta - PACE program
Kappa Alpha Theta - they are so cool with their identity, they only need to use the last letter of their name for a nickname!!!
Kappa Delta - I love all the pictures on the opening page of the website. And I think Kay D., who helps you navigate, is really cute!
Kappa Kappa Gamma - I love the badge, the crest, and mostly, my Mom!!!
Phi Mu - The quatrefoil is so unique!
Phi Sigma Sigma - I didn't even know about this group until I was on GC, and now I notice them everywhere. I live in NYC and they are huge in the Northeast!
Pi Beta Phi - As a lover of the arts, I really appreciate the work they do with Arrowmont
Sigma Delta Tau - Their jewel the lapis lazouli is original and beautiful
Sigma Kappa - I love the saying 'One heart, one way' and I can appreciate 'creepy' symbols like the snake seeing as we have the skull and crossbones!
Sigma Sigma Sigma - The doll collection is such a cool idea! I would love to see them all!
Theta Phi Alpha - Another Michigan founded org., at the U of M, also right near my hometown! Go Blue!
Zeta Tau Alpha - I love the commitment to Breast Cancer research.
Old 08-12-2003, 12:18 PM
GreekChat Member

I just have to say that I love this thread already. I'm sure y'all feel the same way I do, but reading all these wonderful comments about my sorority brings warm fuzzies to my heart. It is all so sweet and makes me so proud to be an ADPi. Once I get a chance to look at all the websites I will most definately comment.

Brianna
Alpha Delta Pi
Old 08-12-2003, 03:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
Alpha Chi Omega- Love the Lyre and how they incorporated it into a logo that's modern but keeps the integrity of that symbol.

Alpha Delta Pi- You're first...THANK YOU!!

Alpha Epsilon Phi- One of my best friend's sister is an AEPhi, and she's so awesome!.

Alpha Gamma Delta- The first sorority I ever knew of, as my best friend's older sister is one from PSU. She's AWESOME! Plus, you got hawaii!!

Alpha Omicron Pi- One of MY best friends is an AOPi who transferred from PSU to UVA and they welcomed her with open arms! THAT'S sisterhood!

Alpha Phi- Love the "Phi Bear" after the big dipper...very cool!

Alpha Sigma Alpha- One of the strongest chapters on my campus full of fabulous girls, some of which who are great friends of mine! Love the ladybug too

Alpha Sigma Tau- They are the closest sorority house to mine at my campus, and all I can say is "Alpha Sigma, Alpha Sigma, Alpha Sigma Tau! woo!" And I love "Friendship forged in tradition"...great motto.

Alpha Xi Delta- You used a Xi! You get bonus points...and I totally dig the quill badge.

Chi Omega- Again, one of my best friends is a Chi Omega and she's one GREAT girl. She taught me all about sorority life in Texas and the south, while I showed her the way of we northeastern sorority girls! NIGHT AND DAY!

Delta Delta Delta- Love the moon/stars/celestial thing. The prettiest of all the badges and tons of famous alums.

Delta Gamma- Love on your website how you have a DG Spotlight sister of the week!! So great!

Delta Phi Epsilon- Biased? Of course!! Because we ROCK!

Delta Zeta- I've met most of the DZs I know on GC and you all have been soooo nice! And I love the lamp badge!

Gamma Phi Beta - Love the campfire girls!!

Kappa Alpha Theta- How many first ladies do y'all need? A top rate sorority across the board!

Kappa Delta- Gorgeous HQs and I love the idea of sunshine boxes!

Kappa Kappa Gamma- OK, two words...KATE SPADE! And the Key is one of my favorite sorority magazines.

Phi Mu- Another gorgeous badge and I love the whole Steel Magnolias connection!

Phi Sigma Sigma- I know so many awesome Phi Sigs who are just great women!!

Pi Beta Phi- you got carnation, which is a total bonus, but you also have that fabulous new HQs in Missouri near us!!

Sigma Delta Tau- Love the torch! And I love that motto, "more than you can imagine!"

Sigma Kappa- I like the maroon enameled badge...it's simple, clean and VERY pretty!! And my chapter's faculty advisor is a Sigma Kappa!

Sigma Sigma Sigma- My second choice at pref...they have a fab chapter at my alma mater.

Theta Phi Alpha- I have to say I love the penguin too, but you also have a beautiful creed!

Zeta Tau Alpha- You have the honor ring for really dedicated alumnae volunteers! I love that!! What a great thing to strive for

I copied this from someone else's post for the sorority names, so it must have been one without Gamma Phi. My apologies to all the G Phi B girls.

Last edited by shadokat; 08-13-2003 at 10:23 AM.
Old 08-12-2003, 04:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I had some time today-- so here it goes!

Alpha Chi Omega-I agree with everyone else-- love the lyre thing. And wasn't the women who played Mary Ann on "Gilligan's Island" a member?

Alpha Delta Pi-- "First. Finest. Forever." Enough said!

Alpha Epsilon Phi--Lily of the Valley is one of my favorite flowers.

Alpha Gamma Delta--LOVE THE SQUIRREL!! (that's right, right?)

Alpha Omicron Pi--I really like their badge--it has all their letters but it's still a little mysterious if you don't know. Very unique.

Alpha Phi--First memory of Alpha Phi was that one of my friends (a TKE no less) rented a room at the Alpha Phi house at the University of Maryland during a summer internship. And the fact that its "FEE" instead of "FYE" is pretty cool.

Alpha Sigma Alpha--Their four exemplars.

Alpha Sigma Tau--My grandmother always sends me yellow roses for special events!

Alpha Xi Delta--Blue is my favorite color--and you use it twice!

Chi Omega--The name. It has a very "commanding" sound to it.

Delta Delta Delta--I went to a panhellenic luncheon during a Tri-Delt convention a few years ago-- and they had a sing-along with a little old lady playing the piano. It was SO FUN!

Delta Gamma--I love the anchor! And I read their website whenever I need inspiration for new ideas.

Delta Phi Epsilon--I am biased, but I like the PEARL Program too! And I love our new mission and vision which can be seen at www.dphie.org

Delta Zeta--The reason I joined a national sorority was because of a Delta Zeta. Great organization!

Gamma Phi Beta--Very unique colors. I had never heard of "mode" before learning of Gamma Phi Beta.

Kappa Alpha Theta-- I agree with the first lady comment Shadokat!

Kappa Delta-- I have always liked how "Kay D" greets you when you go to their website.

Kappa Kappa Gamma-- I like the key. And the colors too!

Phi Mu--Love the lion. And in honor of their 150th they just put out an incredible book with their history!

Phi Sigma Sigma--Instead of DPhiE, my chapter almost colonized with Phi Sigma Sigma. I like the name of their flower-- The American Beauty Rose.

Pi Beta Phi--Leading with Values sounds like an outstanding program! What a great program name-- and a great thing to strive for personally!

Sigma Delta Tau--My cousin is an SDT!

Sigma Kappa --In my last office I worked with two Sigma Kappas and the spouse of a Sigma Kappa. And they have lavender (which is close to my beloved royal purple!)

Sigma Sigma Sigma--The sailboat is a very unique symbol!!! (What is it with sororities and nautical themes??)

Theta Phi Alpha-- I also like the penguin. More importantly though--this is a persistent group with great drive for making things happen.

Zeta Tau Alpha--Seriously-- I have always liked that their letters spelled the first letter of their name.
Old 08-12-2003, 06:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay -- I do not understand this and am a bit pouty -- but why have two posts so far (shadokat & faunikki) both omitted Gamma Phi Beta???????????????

are we chopped liver or something?????
Old 08-12-2003, 06:15 PM

I'm sure it's not intentional. Gamma Phi Beta is the only "G" sorority, sandwiched between a slew of "Delta" sororities and "Kappa" sororities. It may be that their eyes just glossed over it entirely. (kind of like that optical illusion puzzle, where you have to count the number of "n"s in a sentence and so on.

And no, you are not chopped liver!
Old 08-12-2003, 06:29 PM
GreekChat Member

My turn !!

Alpha Chi Omega -- Gotta love those DePauw sororities (I mean fraternities!), plus I love the lyre.

Alpha Delta Pi -- Going to second the applause for "Prides" here, I think it's a great concept and the sisters on Greekchat seem to have a lot of support for each other.

Alpha Epsilon Phi -- Their open motto is beautiful, and they've always been a strong chapter at WashU.

Alpha Gamma Delta -- They have a chapter in Hawaii!! They have to be the envy of every NPC group.

Alpha Omicron Pi -- Great support for Alumnae Initiation, and the fact that they don't use a crest (and the reason why they don't use a crest) is great.

Alpha Phi -- I have never met an Alpha Phi I didn't like. They're smart, friendly, and classy, plus they have great colors and the world's most gorgeous 50-year pin.

Alpha Sigma Alpha -- I like the great range of lore they have, all their patrons, their holidays, their colors -- It must give them so many ways to celebrate their sisterhood.

Alpha Sigma Tau -- I love how much the local chapters are encouraged to support a local charity. The list of philanthropies they have is impressive.

Alpha Xi Delta -- BetXi bear is adorable, and I love that they're the only Xi NPC sorority.

Chi Omega -- Wow. Huge, impressive, oodles of great alumnae, and a great mascot. Plus the online group is a great example for other sororities.

Delta Delta Delta -- I love the colors, I love the symbols, I love the badge and pins, I love the Life Loyal program. I'm a fan. Also, the fact that they've managed to NOT have lasting stigma from those silly sketches on Saturday Night Live is a testament to their class.

Delta Gamma -- Their support for Alumnae Initiation is really strong, and their AI members are inspirational.

Delta Phi Epsilon -- The ONLY person I've seen walking around in letters on city streets (i.e. away from a campus) here in St. Louis was a woman wearing her DPHiE lettered sweatshirt. It was a great example of spirit. Also, my high school colors were purple and gold, so I'm partial.

Delta Zeta -- The turtle is adorable, and they're a very impressive national organization. Surfing sisters is a wonderful idea.

Gamma Phi Beta -- Brown and mode are very sophisticated, and I think the Campfire (CampFire?) involvement is neat.

Kappa Alpha Theta -- How do I love thee? Let me count the ways...

Kappa Delta -- I love that KD is involved with Girl Scouting, and I got a great impression from the chapter at SLU.

Kappa Kappa Gamma -- Once upon a time I wanted to be a Kappa but I knew it wasn't to be because I didn't have the Kappa Kappa Gamma Ray of Sunshine. Every Kappa I've ever met has been cheerful, classy, and smart. Hard to go wrong there. Plus my mother is obsessed with fleurs-de-lis and blue, so I'm still trying to figure out a way to sneak her into Kappa.

Phi Mu -- I think the Sir Fidel/Les soeurs fideles is an adorable pun, and Phi Mu girls just seem to be the epitome of 'Southern ladies' to me.

Phi Sigma Sigma -- I love that they were specifically founded to be non-sectarian. I love my diverse sisters and having that as one of your founding precepts is a treasure.

Pi Beta Phi -- No one can doubt the cachet of being a Pi Phi. Even the girls from smaller chapters (I met a wonderful Pi Phi sister at a wedding who was from a small chapter) are girls that would be top picks at almost any school. Plus the use of a lozenge crest is so much more correct.

Sigma Delta Tau -- Their open motto is very inspiring, and they have great colors.

Sigma Kappa -- I worked with a girl that was part of a colonizing chapter of SK. The girls I met through her were so enthusiastic, smart, and funny, it was impossible not to like them. Plus, the original snakey badge/pledge pin is one of the coolest pieces of jewelry on the planet.

Sigma Sigma Sigma -- I always got the impression that Tri Sigma was a mover and shaker in the early educational sorority world. I've always been impressed with how they've thrived since so many of those organizations foundered.

Theta Phi Alpha -- I love that they have essentially a patron saint and their creed is very beautiful.

Zeta Tau Alpha -- Before I really got into the whole sorority thing I talked briefly with ZTA's HQ about recolonizing their chapter here. They were friendly, helpful, and genuinely interested. I wouldn't have gotten into Greek life without that first experience with Zeta, and I think they have a lot to be proud of in their national staff. Also, the amount of work they do for the Komen foundation is staggering.
Old 08-12-2003, 06:42 PM
GreekChat Member

I did this for a post a while ago, so I'm just going to copy and paste . . . and make a few adjustments.

Alpha Chi Omega: I love their symphony. Yay for the A Chi O's sponsoring Kristin's Story with us -- it is really moving and an important program. I love how you can see chapter houses on their website, and I once spent a couple hours just looking at all of them, trying to find the biggest ones.
Alpha Delta Pi: I think it's awesome that they were the first and paved the way for the rest of us. Where would we be without ADPi?
Alpha Epsilon Phi: I love their flower and mascot.
Alpha Gamma Delta: I love their spirit! It seems like every AGD is really cool and full of energy. And of course there are tons of them here on GC. I think their idea of having special alumnae groups for the younger alums is a great one.
Alpha Omicron Pi: I love the panda mascot, and how they're original by having only one color and using their flower in place of a crest.
Alpha Phi: I love their flowers, and their crest. I also think their commitment to alumnae initiation is really cool, and I hope other groups follow their lead.
Alpha Sigma Alpha: I love their colors -- they're the same as my university's! Plus we have that link of our founder, Sarah Ida Shaw, helping them out, so I guess they're the closest thing Tri Delta has to a "sister sorority." I am jealous of all you who have the Syracuse Triad, Monmouth Duo, Farmville 4 and the Phi Mu/ADPi link . . . I wish we had something like that.
Alpha Sigma Tau: I love their flower, and the anchor symbol.
Alpha Xi Delta: I really like all AZD's symbols . . . I think they fit together really well.
Chi Omega: Every Chi O I've met has been awesome. And there are so many of them!
Delta Delta Delta: I can't help but be biased, but I love our symbols, colors, badge and philanthropy, I love how nationally strong we are, I love our Life Loyal program, and plenty of other things besides that.
Delta Gamma: I think their website is awesome and so thorough -- it really sets the standard for the rest of the groups. I love their badge. And I think the fraternity-assisted COB thing that they do is wonderful; it really shows the commitment that their HQ has to the chapters.
Delta Phi Epsilon: I think their philanthropy -- for eating disorders research -- is wonderful. I also love their colors and symbols.
Delta Zeta: I love the colors, and the lamp symbol.
Gamma Phi Beta: I love the symbol of the crescent moon . . . since the crescent is a favorite of us Tri Delts too. I think that their commitment to alum initiation is admirable and should be adopted by all the sororities ASAP.
Kappa Alpha Theta: I like that their flower is, like ours, a pansy. And I've never met a Theta who wasn't the epitome of classy.
Kappa Delta: I LOVE their open motto. I also think their philanthropy work with the Girl Scouts is really cool.
Kappa Kappa Gamma: I love the key symbol, and their colors. I also think it's cool how they let each chapter pick their own philanthropy to work with. Their badge is really pretty. OK, I admit it -- I love everything about Kappa
Phi Mu: I love their colors . . . I'm a girly girl. Plus it always seems like they have so much class and heritage.
Phi Sigma Sigma: I love that they were founded to be as diverse as possible, and as far as I can see they continue to be one of the most diverse NPC sororities out there.
Pi Beta Phi: I love the angel as their mascot, and their philanthropy of working for literacy.
Sigma Delta Tau: I think the torch symbol is so cool, as is their jewel.
Sigma Kappa: All their symbols and colors are so pretty.
Sigma Sigma Sigma: I think their open motto is really cool, and it's awesome how they have a chapter in Germany. I'd never heard of the doll tradition before this thread, but I think it is so precious.
Theta Phi Alpha: I love their colors (same as Tri Delta's!) and the penguin mascot is really cute. I like the fact that they are unique in having a Catholic saint as a patron to go along with their Catholic heritage. I wish there were more TPA chapters around.
Zeta Tau Alpha: Their commitment to their philanthropy is amazing -- and it is such an important one.
Old 08-12-2003, 07:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

I for one, being a guy thinghy!

Would love to see any on my Campus! Each is very Srong,

We Need More Soroitys! Pleeze !

LX Z # 1
Alumni