GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,322
2 members and 1,320 guests
No Members online

Old 10-06-2009, 01:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Cool StrawberryGloss' Around the World RE-Recruitment Fall 09

My re-recruitment starts soon-ish! I’m super excited for it and I’m a lot more confident in myself this year.

The link to my recruitment last year is here:
http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...d.php?t=105731

Or if you don’t want to read all of it, here’s a quick summary:

I went through absolutely clueless last year. I was super intimidated by all of the PNM’s and was very shy during recruitment. I was offered a bid to New York last year, but after not feeling right with the sisters and the potential new pledge class, I declined and dropped out of recruitment. They were the only chapter to go through COB, and seeing this as a sign (lol) I went to an event with them and it still didn’t feel right. I am a legacy to Barcelona, which I loved last year, however I also thoroughly enjoyed Paris, Tokyo, and London. Rome, Los Angeles, and Miami didn’t quite make a super-great impression on me.

Fast-forward to this year: I focused on good rush conversations. I practiced with friends and my mom (who was a rush advisor for sororities—not sure what the official name for that is though) and wrote down good topics for conversations. I have a great wardrobe this year and CONFIDENCE!
I’m open to all the sororities. If Miami, Rome, or Los Angeles is just outstanding, then GREAT! It’s a new year. I’m trying to not have a bias against New York, but we will have to see. It might be hard to forget last year, but I’m going to really try to go in with as open mind as I can because you never know what might happen.

Also, a new chapter is colonizing on campus this year, so if things don’t go well, I could go through their recruitment after formal.

I will put more details after we meet with our Rho Gam’s!

Last edited by Strawberrygloss; 10-06-2009 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Problems with the colors
Old 10-06-2009, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator

good luck to you!
Old 10-06-2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberrygloss View Post
My re-recruitment starts soon-ish! I’m super excited for it and I’m a lot more confident in myself this year.

The link to my recruitment last year is here:
http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...d.php?t=105731

Or if you don’t want to read all of it, here’s a quick summary:

I went through absolutely clueless last year. I was super intimidated by all of the PNM’s and was very shy during recruitment. I was offered a bid to New York last year, but after not feeling right with the sisters and the potential new pledge class, I declined and dropped out of recruitment. They were the only chapter to go through COB, and seeing this as a sign (lol) I went to an event with them and it still didn’t feel right. I am a legacy to Barcelona, which I loved last year, however I also thoroughly enjoyed Paris, Tokyo, and London. Rome, Los Angeles, and Miami didn’t quite make a super-great impression on me.

Fast-forward to this year: I focused on good rush conversations. I practiced with friends and my mom (who was a rush advisor for sororities—not sure what the official name for that is though) and wrote down good topics for conversations. I have a great wardrobe this year and CONFIDENCE!
I’m open to all the sororities. If Miami, Rome, or Los Angeles is just outstanding, then GREAT! It’s a new year. I’m trying to not have a bias against New York, but we will have to see. It might be hard to forget last year, but I’m going to really try to go in with as open mind as I can because you never know what might happen.

Also, a new chapter is colonizing on campus this year, so if things don’t go well, I could go through their recruitment after formal.

I will put more details after we meet with our Rho Gam’s!

Best of luck!

Lakers Nation.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator

Best of luck to you!
Old 10-07-2009, 12:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Good luck!
Old 10-07-2009, 03:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Yay! Good luck. When do things start (or if you'll be posting slightly off dates, when will we start hearing about your re-recruitment)? :-)
Old 10-07-2009, 07:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for all the luck ladies

I was originally going to post this live, but after sleeping on it I've decided that this is my last shot at going greek, so I don't want to ruin it in any way. I'm going to keep thorough notes on each sorority, maybe write it out that night (if I'm not too tired...doubtful), and post it when recruitment is over.

Recruitment starts very, very soon, I promise! I would love to tell you the dates and everything, but I know there are people from my University on this board and I don't want to risk anything.

So hold tight and keep your fingers crossed!
Old 10-07-2009, 09:31 PM
Super Moderator

^Good idea, StrawberryGloss. Please don't keep us hanging too long, though!
Old 10-07-2009, 11:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks! I definitely won't! I just really want to share my story with you all, so I'll get it up as soon as it's over.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:42 AM
GreekChat Member

I will be able to share my recruitment story with everyone very, very soon! I'm super excited to do so

Just a little bit longer!
Old 10-13-2009, 09:06 PM
GreekChat Member

First Night! I had to sit through 6 ½ hours of class with mostly excited, but definitely nervous butterflies in my stomach.

We had a break first, so we went to Starbucks where I had coffee, and consequently the entire time I was super hyper and had to use the bathroom SO badly.

First up was New York. How they called girls in was different from last year, and it really looked like they were trying to turn the house around. I talked with one of the sisters and it was alright. The next sister just talked about weird topics that I couldn’t relate to, but I tried and it never got to an awkward pause. Overall, it wasn’t as awkward as last year, but I still could never see myself feeling comfortable in this house.

When we were lining up the girls from my walking group were complaining about how tired they were, and that they weren’t super excited to be there. I was shocked how complainy they were after just the first house. From all the coffee and the water I was DYING to use the bathroom but I didn’t cause I know from GC that it is considered rude ☺

Next was London! The first sister and I just started off with a great conversation about Starbucks, and it wasn’t until the very end where we talked about the whole where are you from and what’s your major questions. It turns out we’re 20 minutes away from each other, same major, and took the same classes last year. And we were just howling laughing at how we didn’t even get to these questions. She even told me that I reminded her of a sister whom I knew who was the prettiest, nicest, most personable person on the planet. It was SUCH a great compliment!

We ran over to Tokyo. We had three walking groups here instead of two, so I was double rushed. The rusher mostly talked to me, but I also tried to include the other gal as well. This girl said I reminded her of her boyfriend’s little sister who was very bouncy, cute and fun. Another great compliment!

Next was Barcelona. I wasn’t as nervous this year at all. I was still on a high from the other houses. I went in and talked to a sister who started to complain about her day. I was surprised, but was able to turn the conversation around to how great greek life is, and how much she loved her house. She then told me about how her whole family is involved in greek life, and I told her that mine was too. She started talking about some National things, and I lit up, cause it was familiar to me. I didn’t mean too! And she asked if I knew about the sorority, and I said a little. The sister asked if I felt pressure to be in the legacy sorority and I said that my family just wanted me to go into a sorority where I felt comfortable, but that I did feel comfortable there and that the house felt like my own house (probably because the décor is the same with all the symbols around the house). A little bit awkward, but then we turned the conversation to track & field so that was good.

After debriefing I went home and immediately went to the bathroom! I had been holding it for 5 hours!

The next day we saw 4 houses and the colonizing chapter.

We firstly went to Paris. I talked to about 5 gals who were all very fun and nice. However when they were calling us in, 90% of the girls looked you up and down. Super intimidating. I didn’t get a weird feeling from them, but I still felt like I was being superficially judged.

Next was Miami. We were put into groups of two sisters and three PNM’s. I don’t know if it was because I was super tired, we were standing and I was hoping for the other PNM’s to talk more (which they didn’t) but it just didn’t feel right. There were many pauses and I hadn’t had any of those in the other houses. The sisters were still nice though, but they just didn’t shine as much as the other sororities.

Then we went to Los Angeles. I actually had a GREAT time! The two sisters I talked to were so great, and I didn’t feel any awkwardness, besides ducking out of the way of my ex-roommate.

Lastly was Rome. I found commonalities with ALL of the sisters, including one who did my sport, and another had the same summer job as me. It was very fun!

We were able to “regret” two.

My Rankings:
1. London
2. Barcelona
3. Tokyo
4. Rome
5. Paris
6. Los Angeles

And I dropped
7. Miami
8. New York
Old 10-13-2009, 09:44 PM

Small note (and maybe you just have the terminology mixed up), but you aren't actually "dropping" your bottom 2 (like your ranking list says). You're just ranking them low. Sorry, I just wouldn't want a PNM to mistakenly think they are dropping chapters when they aren't.

Lakers Nation.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: somewhere in an area where we usually get all four seasons :)
Send a message via AIM to sceniczip
Hmm I want to root for Paris... But that's just weird about the girls lol.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:01 PM
GreekChat Member

great story! I can't wait to hear more!
Old 10-14-2009, 01:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Small note (and maybe you just have the terminology mixed up), but you aren't actually "dropping" your bottom 2 (like your ranking list says). You're just ranking them low. Sorry, I just wouldn't want a PNM to mistakenly think they are dropping chapters when they aren't.
Ok, yeah. I had "regretting" up there to mean ranking them low. But I'll try to remember to fix that for my next posts!

I woke up SUPER early the next morning. I swear I could hear sorority girl’s voices in my head from all the talking! After anxiously waiting my schedule, I got:

London
Barcelona
Tokyo
Rome
Paris
Los Angeles

I got ALL of the houses I wanted!!!!

London was so great! The sister told me that the girls who rushed me two days prior kept talking about me, so she was super excited to rush me! We made bracelets, but we were laughing at how bad mine was turning out. Their video did have a little bit of emphasis on partying, which it would be fun to do, but not ALL the time.

Barcelona was super cute! The girl who rushed me was great and when we were doing the craft we just took off talking and talked about our fantastic physics professor who we both love.

Tokyo was alright, and I was slightly disappointed. They were just meh. I could barely hear my rusher, and we didn’t really connect. I wasn’t very impressed with their philanthropy. They didn’t seem to be really into it. I didn’t know if it was the actual house I wasn’t impressed with any more, or the sisters I talked to today weren’t really great.

Rome was pretty good today. I really enjoyed how academic these girls seemed. We started to talk about Wicked and the sisters (there was two of them to me) just went off on it!

Paris was good. I was super surprised they invited me back. The sister was still super nice, and I didn’t feel like I was being judged superficially. We talked about our dogs back home which made the house seem more homey. I was also very impressed by their philanthropy.

The first part of Los Angeles was pretty fun. A girl from my dorm last year rushed me, so we just caught up on life (and occasionally shouted out the words “philanthropy” and “sisterhood”) so she wouldn’t get in trouble. She even told me to keep looking at her when my ex-roommate walked by and told me really honest things about the problems in that house between her and everyone else. The next girl I talked to was super awkward. I looked around and just couldn’t see myself here. It didn’t feel like home at all.

We could regret two. I just couldn’t see myself in Los Angeles having to deal with all the drama, so that was pretty easy. But I couldn’t choose between Tokyo and Paris. I was feeling a lot better about Paris and not as much Tokyo, however it was different from yesterday. My Rho Gamma from last year was standing right next to me during rankings and told me to think of the sorority where I could come down in my pj’s with no makeup on and eat breakfast. I could easily imagine myself at Paris, but I just couldn’t at Tokyo.

I also couldn’t decide which I liked better: Barcelona or London, but thankfully that didn’t matter at this point.

1. Barcelona
2. London
3. Rome
4. Paris

And the bottom ones I ranked--"regretted":
5. Tokyo
6. Los Angeles

Writing this just a few hours after recruitment ended for today, I still don’t know if I made the right decision ranking Paris over Tokyo. I feel like Paris is going to drop me anyways and I wouldn’t mind if Tokyo was there instead, but I still like Paris. Would I really feel more comfortable at Paris than Tokyo?

Last edited by Strawberrygloss; 10-14-2009 at 01:54 AM. Reason: missed another color