GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 2,326
3 members and 2,323 guests
3DGator, naraht, Sister Havana

Old 03-07-2012, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator

i went to our website to see which states had the most(active) ZTA chapters and they are

Texas-17
Pennsylvania-16
South Carolina-10
Old 03-07-2012, 10:12 AM
GreekChat Member

I just looked up active Theta chapters for states according to our website:
California - 18 (or is it 17? Didn't San Diego just close?)
Ohio & Pennsylvania - 8 each (wow! Because they're home to a lot of little private universities?)
Texas - 7
Virginia - 6
Old 03-07-2012, 11:57 AM
GreekChat Member

I think there might be a semantics problem here. When I say "people don't care," I am talking about non-Greeks. In professional environments around the country, the chance of meeting a non-Greek is high enough that you risk the negatives brought up earlier. Now, if you're talking about joining the Junior League in any city USA, yes, you will probably encounter other sorority women and they may be impressed with your specific org based on their own preconceptions. But I wouldn't include it in an interview unless your skills learned there directly impact this particular job. And that's not really what we're talking about here.

And I was looking at the states I'm most familiar with and I think the reason I personally don't see this as much of a thing is because those states (Iowa, Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, Indiana) have a lot of sororities represented at fairly even concentrations. No sorority really owns any of those states. So as a result, as a grown up, saying you're a sorority woman is going to be at least as valuable as saying you're a member of any given sorority.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Theta Phi is pretty spread out. These are our "denser" states:

State - Active Chapters/Total Chapters
New Jersey - 6/9 (including colony, 7/10)
New York - 6/10
Ohio - 7/11
Pennsylvania - 7/13 (including colony, 8/14)
Old 03-07-2012, 01:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLake View Post
I just looked up active Theta chapters for states according to our website:
California - 18 (or is it 17? Didn't San Diego just close?)
Ohio & Pennsylvania - 8 each (wow! Because they're home to a lot of little private universities?)
Texas - 7
Virginia - 6
California has 18, SDSU closed May 2011. There are several Theta chapters in San Diego, by the way.

FWIW - I don't see how counting the number chapters in a state is indicative of anything. What are we looking at? I mean, poor North Dakota - how can they ever compare with New York, for example. Arizona isn't much better, we really only have seven four-year institutions of higher learning and to the best of my knowledge, GLOs are only present at four of those.

Using that standard, Alpha Phi and Pi Phi would be top dogs in AZ as they are at UA, NAU, ASU.

Know what I'm saying?

ETA: lowCsharp just said what I wanted to say, only much more concisely (of course).
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 03-07-2012, 01:07 PM
GreekChat Member

It's just weird for me to think of things in these statistics. Arizona only has seven 4 year colleges in the entire state? Public and private schools included? I had no idea, and that is mind boggling to me. I feel extremely naive now.

Last edited by IrishLake; 03-07-2012 at 01:11 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
Yep, Arizona has only 7 4 year colleges and only 4 of them (UofA, ASU, NAU, and Embry-Riddle Aero) have greek life. Only 3 public universities.

Last edited by AZ-AlphaXi; 03-07-2012 at 01:19 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavycutchip View Post
Just a thought as a non Chi-O Arkansas Resident (and I love all my panhellenic Chi-O sisters!), yes Chi Omega at the University of Arkansas is very strong and since it was founded at Arkansas and there are 3 Chi Omega chapters in Arkansas (all still active) there are LOTS of Chi Omega sisters living in all parts of the state. All the Chi Omegas I know are all classy and wonderful women. And yes, when someone says they are a member of Chi Omega in Arkansas (and specifically Psi chapter - UA) there is a level of respect as the 1979 article says.

However, I would say that it is 33 years later, and while Chi Omega is still lovely at UA - there are other houses on that campus that are FANTASTIC too! Ones that have been awarded the "top chapter" award by their perspective sororities, or have been there for over 100 years, or are newer chapters who do amazing things. I would also say that respect is earned, and not just given. In post-college life, I think it means a whole lot more what you are doing now (in regards to getting a job, being involved in community philanthropy/service organizations (jr. league/etc), etc) than what sorority you joined in college. The "aw" factor goes away pretty quickly if you don't have anything to back it up with.
Exactly. I am from a neighboring state and my pool man's daughter pledged Chi O at Arkansas 3 years ago. My only point being that your dad doesn't have to be a congressman to get a bid there. Chi-O is strong at U of A but I would say there are a couple of other groups that rival them for "top chapter" status. I think that Greek life in general is very dominant at U of A, and maybe that has diluted the prominence of Chi O there, since many groups have benefitted from the high quality PNMs and competitive recruitment atmosphere.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:23 PM
GreekChat Member

My interpretation is that a sorority stronghold is where non-members – including non-Greeks - often view members of a sorority (ABC) in a positive light simply because they *are* a member of that sorority. This perception is based on previous and ongoing positive reputations of ABC members in the local community (area) and perhaps at the inter/national level as well.

For example, the local community thinking might be “Scarlett just moved here. I hear she is an ABC and you know the ABCs around here have always been good community leaders. Therefore, I anticipate Scarlett to do the same.” Scarlett is already viewed in a positive way simply because of her ABC sorority affiliation.

I suggest this also applies to non GLO groups as well. For example, certain groups (women's clubs, men's clubs for example) may be viewed as “stronger” in their community by non-members and members alike. And not just because of numbers, but because of the perceived (anticipated?) positive work the members of that group do (will do) within the community.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLake View Post
It's just weird for me to think of things in these statistics. Arizona only has seven 4 year colleges in the entire state? Public and private schools included? I had no idea, and that is mind boggling to me. I feel extremely naive now.
We became a state 100 years ago, and haven't had the population or history that you East of the Rockies folks have.

Waiting for the Big One so we'll have a coastline and lots of beaches, and THEN maybe we'll get some respect.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 03-07-2012, 02:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTheta View Post
We became a state 100 years ago, and haven't had the population or history that you East of the Rockies folks have.

Waiting for the Big One so we'll have a coastline and lots of beaches, and THEN maybe we'll get some respect.

#TeamTEXAS

Old 03-07-2012, 03:19 PM

IMO, I think that the original article and the statement about Chi Omega getting respect in Arkansas goes back to the dreaded word: tiers.

I think that many people in Arkansas who are "in the know" about Greek Life will hear that someone is a Chi O at Fayetteville and think, "Wow."

There are two other Chi O chapters in the state, one at Arkansas State and the other at UA-Little Rock. Now, the girls at both chapters are great, but as 33girl said in the other thread (referring to ASA at her school and the chapter at Truman State(MO)), neither chapter at ASU or UALR are "worse" than the Arkansas chapter, just "different". I think when someone hears that someone else was a Chi O from ASU or UALR, they think, "Oh, that's nice." And, not the "Oh, how nice for you," that is a different tone and meaning.

I do think that the whole thing does come down to the perceived tiers. I honestly don't think in any state, one whole group (with two or more chapters in that state) are automatically seen as the strongest group in the state.

The same goes for fraternities. Except Sigma Chi. We're wonderful everywhere.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 03-07-2012, 03:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
The same goes for fraternities. Except Sigma Chi. We're wonderful everywhere.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post

#TeamTEXAS
If I didn't like you (and not in a weird way!), you'd be hurting right now, sir.

FWIW I wasn't even thinking about SPORTS.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTheta View Post
If I didn't like you (and not in a weird way!), you'd be hurting right now, sir.

FWIW I wasn't even thinking about SPORTS.
Me neither AZ < TX, just in general hahaha