GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,468
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, dizzycmaarleyy5
» Online Users: 1,455
2 members and 1,453 guests
AOIIalum

Old 01-24-2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBaby View Post
I kind of want to send this to our chapter and ask them to take it seriously. Except for the boots with dresses thing for pref. She's got to be kidding about that.
This is cocktail in butt ass cold NY State. I have the feeling it's more sheath dresses with sleeves that you dress up with jewelry than the teeny things that are usually "cocktail." And with those...high boots don't look bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
Why the pedi part of mani-pedi if she's weird about shoes and that doesn't include open toe shoes?
They probably get both at once as a matter of course. Also, pedis are not just polishing the toes - they're also for making sure you don't have lizard feet. Lizard feet show through tights and hose.

Last edited by 33girl; 01-24-2010 at 02:44 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-24-2010, 02:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Amen to last post. Unfortunately, some chapters have members who don't have the fashion sense to show the chapter and themselves in the best light. The goal is to dress to impress and first impressions do matter. In fact, recruitment is nothing more than one big interview.
Old 01-24-2010, 02:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
ETA: what are "huggies" earrings? All huggies makes me think of is disposable diapers.
I had the same visual. When I googled the term...apparently I got the rest of the story.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTA72 View Post
I had the same visual. When I googled the term...apparently I got the rest of the story.
I was thinking she meant an ear cuff, but apparently a huggie is like a cuff but for pierced ears.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:33 PM
GreekChat Member

I love the part about makeup! You don't know how many times I have seen sorority girls with more makeup on then necessary for sorority rush! Love this! We never got a printed out list of what to wear, we were just told and then during clothing check we were told again!
Old 01-24-2010, 03:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APhiAnna View Post
I don't see anything wrong with this list at all...in fact, I thought she was hilarious. I agree with 33girl that it is far better than the UF list that was posted on here awhile ago...I think they were aiming for the same thing but this girl is actually sarcastically funny.

I think that anybody outside of the Greek system is going to incorrectly assume this dress code is required at all times and that is why the blogs are blowing up. This is obviously just for recruitment. I think everybody in a moderately to very competitive recruitment has received instructions similar to this, either written or verbal (or both).

The one thing I will say is that using sarcasm in writing is always dangerous because people can misinterpret it. Hell, there were some girls in my chapter who couldn't understand sarcasm even if it was spoken in a sarcastic tone! So I think some people will read this as bitchy when obviously she was going for "sassy" and humorous.

Anyways, I thought it was funny and I agree with her fashion choices, unlike the UF girl who I believe infamously wrote that anybody with big boobs should wear a tube top...
I totally agree with this.

And I think you're right about the reason blogs are blowing up. AFAIK, the people who originally released the list on the internet first said that the dress code was required of PNMs (obviously not true...although some of the fashion advice would certainly still be a good idea for them, too). Then, they tried to correct themselves and say that this is what was required of the sorority members at all times (obviously, still not true). Blogs like the Huffington Post, etc., picked up on the story and re-told it as if it were required of PNMs or sorority members during everyday activities, despite the fact that that's not true and only the result of sloppy college bloggers who don't understand the greek system.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:44 PM
GreekChat Member

While this list is one of the most detailed I've seen, the concept is definitely not foreign - or out of place IMO. And truthfully, sometimes there are people who need that amount of detail spelled out for them.

So yeah, basically I agree with most of what people have already said
Old 01-24-2010, 03:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I legit want to date this girl, she's hilarious. My favorites:

Under "No" for eyes:
"Sultry. Its noon people. And these are girls, not laxers. No need to seduce them with caked on black eye makeup. And it anyone likes to try that its me, don't get me wrong. Just saying."

Under "No" for shoes:
"Fuck me pumps"
"Tacky/cheapo/pleather. Don't mess with me."
Old 01-24-2010, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaXi_Husky View Post
While this list is one of the most detailed I've seen, the concept is definitely not foreign - or out of place IMO. And truthfully, sometimes there are people who need that amount of detail spelled out for them.

So yeah, basically I agree with most of what people have already said
Absolutely! I cringe when I think of the pre-list days, when we were told to wear a black dress or a letter shirt, but nothing else. I'm a bit more irritated by this woman's writing style than the list itself. If I was told, "Don't mess with me," you can be sure that I'd wear exactly what she doesn't want to see. But y'all have probably figured out by now that I'm all about telling someone to go to hell in a way that they'll enjoy the trip.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleMissGlitter View Post
I love the part about makeup! You don't know how many times I have seen sorority girls with more makeup on then necessary for sorority rush! Love this! We never got a printed out list of what to wear, we were just told and then during clothing check we were told again!
Ours was usually in presentation format in April-ish. Then we had all summer to locate the appropriate items for dress check in early August. We were also told to call/email if we had any questions about the appropriateness of anything BEFORE we bought it and to keep receipts/tags just in case it didn't pass check for some reason. For the most part, everyone was good.

And I AGREE 100% about the makeup thing.

Sometimes, sorority women (and even PNMs) need to be reminded that the "audience" for recruitment is WOMEN!

This means they are dressing/doing make-up in a way that impresses women, not your college-aged boyfriend.

Lakers Nation.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:00 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm so glad we had matching outfits back when I did recruitment!

All we had to do was give them our size, pay the money for the recruitment clothes, and *poof* we were all good to go! There was no guessing and all of girls had the common sense for proper grooming prior to recruitment.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Many of the people on Huffington Post are mocking Pi Phi because of the colloquial language and spelling errors in the Recruitment notes even after someone posted a link to the chapter's website which showed the names and majors of the Executive Board. Since they seem to an exceptional group which does not deserve the abuse that they are taking from absolute strangers, here are the EB's majors/minors. I doubt that the regular bloggers on HP could match this, let alone the commenters.

Math and Economics
Biological Sciences
Literature
Applied Economics and Management
Psychology and Economics
Math and Economics
Engineering
Atmospheric Sciences
Old 01-24-2010, 07:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofM-TKE View Post
Many of the people on Huffington Post are mocking Pi Phi because of the colloquial language and spelling errors in the Recruitment notes even after someone posted a link to the chapter's website which showed the names and majors of the Executive Board. Since they seem to an exceptional group which does not deserve the abuse that they are taking from absolute strangers, here are the EB's majors/minors. I doubt that the regular bloggers on HP could match this, let alone the commenters.

Math and Economics
Biological Sciences
Literature
Psychology and Economics
Math and Economics
Engineering
Atmospheric Sciences
At Cornell.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:18 PM
GreekChat Member

I am all for showing people a way to dress acceptably, though the language was a bit off. A decent pair of shoes and slacks are great to have, and even though I have a job and do the school gig on the side I dress nicer for class because it truly does help to look serious and professional. If I show up in a t-shirt with faded jeans and tennis shoes, how is any student supposed to take me seriously as a TA with any authority to assist them academically? Furthermore this semester I've gotten great treatment in a new department, which yes is based on my abilities, but I also believe on presenting myself as a put together adult with an air of capability.

Don't get me wrong I love an Idaho sweatshirt and jeans with Converse when I'm at home, but when I leave my house for campus I dress better than that.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:52 PM
GreekChat Member

At first I thought these were their everyday chapter standards and that there really were girls out there who follow the whole "on Wednesdays we wear pink" mentality, which is pretty horrifying. Having guidelines like this for recruitment isn't that strange though...when you only have 20ish minutes during some rounds to make a good impression, you want to make sure everyone looks their best. You don't want the PNM's lasting impression of your (otherwise perfectly groomed) chapter to be of one member's pink sequined tights

That being said...this is still a lot of the reason I hate recruitment. I know that it's important to look your best and make the best possible impression in the "real world," however the amount of time and effort spent on it during recruitment (as demonstrated by this seven page list) seems a little absurd. Besides, if a PNM judges my entire house because someone wore chandeliere earrings or didn't want to shell out the money for a set of acrylic nails (I know I'm not the only nail-biter out there!) just for recruitment, I'm not sure she would have fit in anyway! But maybe that's just my chapter...

Let us strive for that which is honorable, beautiful and highest.
The content of this post represents the views of the author and does not necessarily reflect the views of Kappa Delta Sorority.