GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Xi Delta

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 2,757
1 members and 2,756 guests
Joobee

Old 09-16-2006, 07:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessXIca View Post
Ummmm...what? We're talking about college campuses here, not West Compton.

And I was just wondering, not trying to say that sisters should or shouldn't do either.

IN THE WRONG PLACES.

And while you're quoting me, why not add what my last line said? I said to let everyone do what they want!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-17-2006, 12:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessXIca View Post
OMG, chill. No one is trying to restrict sisters from doing anything, I have no idea how you even got that impression.
once again, you did not get the post.
Old 09-17-2006, 02:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tcsparky
I know of at least one chapter in the south that uses Fuzzies. They say it very casually, and are apparently used to it. I thought it sounded odd the first few times I heard it, but got over it. They have several members from Ohio, and they say they grew up hearing AXiD referred to as fuzzies.

Another chapter I know of will use the hand sign in the picture occasionally, more of a fun thing to do than a constant .
Old 09-17-2006, 11:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Betxibear85
I am a third year Alpha Xi from FIU!!! We are not known as fuzzies or Alpha Xis...we are usually called AXiD's and thats how you spell is abbreviated...We do the Xi sign also =)
Old 11-12-2006, 10:57 PM
GreekChat Member

I am from Bowling Green State University in Bowling Green, OH. We are called Fuzzies. All the fraternities know us as Fuzzies and so do the sororities. They also call us AXiD's and Alpha Xi's. I have even heard our house referred to as "The Fuzzie House". Our Philanthropy is Fuzzie Football. I know some chapters look at it as offensive or embarassing or whatever but it's something that we were taught is OK and we should be proud. It's a nickname that is built into our name alPHA XI delta (emphasize the caps and you'll hear it). We also have a lot of sororities that begin with Alpha so it helps PNMs and new members distinguish and remember us! I say to each there own and we can all be happy!!! Also, we never really use the hand signal. We learned it last year after our exec went to a retreat but thats really it. I still think it's neat though!!

Xi love and fuzz love to all,
me
Old 11-16-2006, 06:58 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm from ONU, and we call ourselves Fuzzies, casually. Although, the other Greek chapters on campus usually either call us the AXiD's or the Alpha Xi's. We've only really used the Xi-sign once, at the end of our Greek Sing song for Greek Week last year. Sometimes we'll use it in pictures too...but we don't use it often.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:44 AM
GreekChat Member

UT in Ohio uses Fuzzie... I like it personally... everyone else is just they're "english" letters.. like A-Oh-Pie, Chi-O, K-D... But ours is an actually nick name... then theres also AXiD's, Alpha Xi's, Xi's...

one i have heard on another campus did offend me though... the "Ee-Xi-D's", implying the girls were easy... but thats the only one...

We do two different hand signs... the fingers crossed w/ a pinkie to spell Xi.. and then also we'll turn our hand horizontal with one hand having the index finger and pinkie out (with the thumb, middle, and ring finger folded into our palms) and then the other hand only has an index finger out (and it's placed between the other two fingers) to create the greek Xi sign...
Old 10-20-2008, 03:03 PM
GreekChat Member

We recently started using those hand signs (to spell the word Xi)
And my chapter is not allowed to call ourselves or each other Fuzzies. Though a girl who transferred from Miami of Ohio said they were called Fuzzies over there.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:46 PM
GreekChat Member

We're either called Alphas or Alpha Xis or AXiDs on my campus. We've tried to stay away from "Alphas" but since the other three sororities usually go by their first letter, people assume we do too ... we sometimes use the Xi hand sign in response to someone saying "Throw what you know!"
Old 10-21-2008, 06:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to melaxid
the sign

That sign is flying around and is more than just a 'xi' it is a combination of an x with the "i love you sign" so often referred to as "xi love".I personally DESPISE seeing AZD... it drives me crazy!!! !(ask any chapter I deal with!)I prefer AXD or AXiD (the latter once appeared on a homecoming shirt... and we lovingly referred to it as a word 'axid')
Old 11-03-2008, 11:04 AM
GreekChat Member

We rarely referred to ourselves as fuzzies. But I've never seen a reason to discourage other chapters from staying away from the term.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Alpha Xi Delta is still known as Fuzzy at Ohio State and Miami University. Must be an Ohio thing.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post
Alpha Xi Delta is still known as Fuzzy at Ohio State and Miami University. Must be an Ohio thing.

I know this is an old thread... but my biological sister is a Alpha Xi Delta sister. She's and alumni of the Delta Pi chapter. It's in Ohio, and yeah, they have fleece jackets that say Fuzzies on them. We were at a family function in ohio and an alum from a different chapter recognized her and was like, "I'm a fuzzy too!!" I think it's cool that you guys have a nickname you all can recognize. Even if it's only big in ohio. but AxiD seems big in ohio.

I love my sis and i'm glad she joined AxiD, her self worth, and her self esteem grew so much in just the first year. She grew into this beautiful woman who I look up to very much. I do attribute alot of that to her involvment in Alpha Xi Delta. I'm so greatful she found such an amazing sisterhood! I'm in Delta Phi Epsilon, but if I went to a school that had AxiD i would have prolly had that as my first choice. haha. Either way, I do believe AxiD ladies are a cut above most other sororties (of course not above mine ;-) haha).

Last edited by BaltoAlphaPsi; 02-20-2009 at 10:55 AM.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Our PR VP & exec board just recently announced that we're going to start using Fuzzies as our nickname. They had some kind of training a few weekends ago, and while talking to the Miami of Ohio girls, who said Fuzzies works really well for them on their campus, they decided we should give it a shot as we're still trying to make a name for myself.

There were few groans when they announced it, but a few cheers too. I'm still not sure about it; I neither love it nor hate it. It is, however, my least favorite of our nicknames. I like Alpha Xi the best, then AXiD (of COURSE spelled that way, not AZD or even AXD), and THEN Fuzzies.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:47 AM
GreekChat Member

We use the XI hand sign up here in Michigan, but we are not allowed to be called Fuzzie's. I have heard this from many other chapters too and we are NOT suppose to be calling each other or being referred to Fuzzies.

Xi love and mine
trisha