GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 1,578
1 members and 1,577 guests
FSUZeta

Old 09-15-1999, 07:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Black and White--Is it an issue?

There was a story posted on Greeksource.com about how Tenn State Univ (a historically Black University) was starting an integrated chapter of Sigma Pi and were recruiting both Black and White members. I would like to know what other greeks think about Blacks joining traditionally White frats/sororities or Whites joining traditionally Black frats/sororities. I think there is something good to be said about having a diverse membership in greek organizations and I'd like to hear others' perspectives.

------------------
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-16-1999, 12:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

My chapter was the first Fraternity on campus to initiate a black person. We have since iniated people from England, Cuba, Mexico, Japan, and Brazil. All of them were born and raised in their own perspective countries. My Fraternity does not discriminate against race, color, creed, nor code!

Thomas Gardner
Tau Kappa Epsilon
Pi-Psi
Old 09-24-1999, 04:25 PM
GreekChat Member

I personally don't see it as an issue. I am in a predominatley white fraternity and nothing has ever been with color as far as that is concerned.
Old 09-28-1999, 05:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to LanderAEPi
Unhappy

The terrible thing about my campus (Washington University) is the racial separation. There's the Interfraternity Council (IFC) that oversees the twelve "normal" fraternities. Then, there's the Panhellenic Council, which oversees the six "normal" sororities. But then there's the Black PanHellenic Council, that oversees all of the BLACK fraternities/sororities. Unfortunately, there's little overlap -- black students join black fraternities, and there's almost no exception to the rule.

------------------
Joshua
http://artsci.wustl.edu/~jlgoldwa

--
"Round here we talk just like lions
but we sacrifice like lambs" -AD
Old 09-29-1999, 05:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to Genoalan
Lightbulb

Racial issues is quite a subconscious thing in greek stuff, in my opinion. It appears that most rushees will "feel better and more comfortable" to rush in a fraternity of culturally/ethnically similar interests. If you look on campus, you may notice some frats/sors founded on an ethnic basis. Those that where founded by Caucasian members tend to stay Caucasian. Only when some 'different shade of the rainbow' have the couraged to go for it, he/she could start a whole new thing. For mine, this was a possible answer and also due to the population of the campus. Mt frat and chapter was founded by Caucasian boy scouts, but over the years, the California chapters have leaned more into the Asian side. Our college is a quite popular choice for Asians; 40% Asian, 50% Caucasian, 1% African, 15% Latino, then other. Mine is 90% Asian, but we do not encourage any biased pledging. I try to get our rush programs to involve a more diverse representation so rushees can see what it is possible.
Old 09-29-1999, 01:30 PM
GreekChat Member

I've always felt that any organization, greek or otherwise, would always benefit from having the best members it could get. It would be extremely foolish for a group to single out an individual because of color, or anything else, when that individual could be an asset. If you find a group of people that have similar interests, beliefs, goals, and motivations that you do, color should never get in the way. Nor should you ever try to keep someone out for that same reason. You may be missing out on a friend for life.

------------------
"Listen to my music, and hear what it can do.
There's something here that's as strong as life.
I KNOW THAT IT WILL REACH YOU!!!"
~Rush2112~
Old 10-04-1999, 10:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to Vanity3
Question

I want to raise the question of why some people resent that a minority, such as an African American woman like myself, would decide to join a Greek organization that is not traditional Black. I resently decided to pledge Alpha Phi Omega Service Fraternity and I have gotten some strange looks from Greeks in the traditionally Black Sororities. Some have even said that I'm being a trader of sorts. I wanted to know if others had some answers out there. I know in my heart what is best for me and I will not allow anyone to take me off course from my goals. I am just curious to know why some feel that way. Thanks

------------------
Alpha Phi Omega
Mu Chapter
Indiana University
Old 10-27-1999, 08:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SilverTurtle
Smile

I agree that racial lines are drawn, both consciously and unconsciously, among Greeks. My chapter was fortunate enough to draw the interests of a variety of genders and races. As a 'white' member, I was in the majority, but I also gained a lot from the others in the fraternity. Having international members encouraged our entire fraternity to participate in things like World Week on campus.
I also know from some of my African-American friends that the pressure for them to participate in 'all-black' organizations (from APhiA to AKA to the Black Student Union) was great. I think that a lot of this has to do with 'trying to act white' (or black, or whatever). I commend anyone who can join the group that they know is right for them even though it may meet some misunderstanding from their peers. Hopefully you will be one of the leaders, showing them that different people have different needs and desires, regardless of race.
Old 10-28-1999, 11:33 AM
GreekChat Member

It's been fifty years since fraternities began dropping membership exclusionary clauses in their charters, and still, racism is a huge issue. Obviously, it's not limited just to the Greek system, but we all know it's there.

The amount of hate crimes reported on college campuses has reached its highest level in forty years.

The feature film "Followers", currently on a nationwide college and university tour, is helping to raise awareness about the problem.

Check out the film's website at www.followers.com

Old 10-29-1999, 10:02 AM
GreekChat Member

I am a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha. I am black and I went to a historically black school. This was the best sorority for me. I do believe that a lot of black people join the black fraternities or sororities because they are more comfortable for them. Why wouldn't any sane person do that? That is what makes sense. If a black organization will benefit you and is what you want then that is what you should do. But it is also the same for any other organization with a specialty whether it is business, arts, social, or service. If that's what floats your boat then that's the organization for you. Lastly, these questions are posed to LanderAEPi. What do you mean by "normal"? Are you saying that white is "normal" and that black is not?
Old 11-01-1999, 04:13 PM
GreekChat Member

My sorority has black and white women. I know that we all get along and joke around and have a great time. The color never matters with us.
Old 11-17-1999, 10:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Angry

This is the reason why we still have topics like racism! Who gives a shit if you are black, white hispanic. We are all humans. We have all the same feelings and emotions and if we keep bringing up this issue of color it is never going to die and we will never accept anyone for the person they are without looking at the color of their skin first.

M. Huling
Alpha Eta Omega

------------------
alabama
Old 11-22-1999, 10:32 PM
GreekChat Member

My sorority does care what color you are black,white,red,blue,purple it doesn't matter but there are some "black"sororities on campus. I really don't care what color you are i always look into who u are as a person.
Old 12-07-1999, 07:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

To Vanity3 I am a member of AKA the first
black female sorority. For those of you
who are unaware, not that long ago black
college students were not accepted by white
students, faculty, communities and were not
allowed or wanted in white greek letter
organizations. Therefore we started our
own organizations and for many years have
had our membership open to whites, but most
whites did not and still do not want to be
associated with a predominately black organization no matter how upstanding it is. It is true that most people feel comfortable around people who they feel are most like themselves. Vanity3 if you feel good about your decision why worry about anyone else.
Just remember many of the founding black
greeks fought so that you could have the opportunity to join whatever group you choose. They didn't have that choice. Its
good that today people are more open to letting you into their circle.
Old 12-09-1999, 05:59 AM
GreekChat Member

I personally dont care what color you are...what matters is if the said person would be an asset to your fraternity/sorority.

On the other hand, I understand why we have the racial split in the greek system. People want to hang out with who they feel connected to and who they feel most comfortable with. My chapter has a black member, as well as indian and hispanic. People join who they want to join, and as long as no "quotas" are set to determine who we can and can't pledge because of color, I feel there is no problem.

Greg
Phi Gamma Delta