GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 308,236
Threads: 114,836
Welcome to our newest member, kguielu

Old 04-23-2001, 07:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Post Sororities at UA

Does anyone know anything about the sororities at the University of Alabama? I'm not talking about rumors and that kind of stuff...but I mean if you are in one or go there, what do you think about them? What are their general reputations? Esp. if you know anything about Kappa Kappa Gamma at UA. Thanks!
Old 04-23-2001, 10:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to prospectiverushee
If you go to the Rush forum, you will see that there is a topic that already adresses all of the question that you have asked
Old 04-24-2001, 12:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation

Well I will give you the insight you are looking for that nobody here seems willing to provide.....

*Pi Phi...really nice girls
*AOPi...party girls
*KD....exclusive and rich
*Phi Mu...pretty girls, nice
*Tri-Delt...exclusive, blond, and rich
*ZTA...sorry to say but this is the sorority with the worst rep on campus as far as the guys go
*ADPi....about half and half: Nice girls, party girls.
*KKG...elite and exclusive
*XO...sweethearts--the type of girls you'd like to bring home to mama
*DZ....much the same as XO and Pi Phi

I'll probably get hate mail for this and the thread will probably lock, but I'm merely answering the question exactly as you asked it. Hope this helps.
Old 04-24-2001, 01:23 AM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally posted by daisyflower:
Well I will give you the insight you are looking for that nobody here seems willing to provide.....
Daisy, since you're not too vocal on these boards, I'll excuse that comment.

And...a person can't get hate mail if she doesn't provide one in her profile .

Again, questions like "What's XYZ sorority like at UA?" are unnecessary, especially for prospective rushees. For all we know, rolltidesoon will go into Fall Rush with an inaccurate outlook on sororities (she'll have you to thank for that) at UA.

Rolltide, I encourage you to check out the thread in the Rush Forum. There are many other young women who will also be rushing with you in the Fall. You will find more appropriate information there.

[This message has been edited by OohTeenyWahine (edited April 24, 2001).]
Old 04-24-2001, 01:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by daisyflower:

*XO...sweethearts--the type of girls you'd like to bring home to mama
Damn straight! They're like that on this board too.

Old 04-24-2001, 01:46 AM
GreekChat Member

This is something I probably would've appreciated a few months ago when I was considering UA, LOL. But in a way I am grateful to be rushing at a school where I don't know many people because I won't have any pre-concieved notions. I think it will be better to go in with a clear conscience because then I can meet the girls I click with for ME, not who I already think I want to be like. Know what I mean?
Old 04-24-2001, 06:21 PM
GreekChat Member

thanks for the info, daisyflower. in all honesty, i don't plan on going into rush thinking "oh i'm not interested in this sorority because...." i was just curious because the sororities at each campus are SO DIFFERENT and i don't really know many sorority girls down there, so i don't have anything to go by. but i really do plan on keeping an open mind when i go into rush!

Old 04-25-2001, 03:56 PM
GreekChat Member

I would like to give major propts to my sisters of Gamma Sigma Sigma at University of Alabama. I'm not certain if that is the school you were talking about but they are always strong on that campus. And just this past weekend they brought 10 girls to the Mississippi Valley State University to visit the brothers of Alpha Phi Omega. They are a National Service Sorority.
Old 04-25-2001, 04:10 PM
GreekChat Member

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The best thing any rushee can possibly do going into Rush is to have general knowledge about each sorority (their mascot, their philanthropy, etc.). Your rush manuals should give you that info, but visiting national headquarter websites is a good tool also. By knowing a little about the sorority, it shows the sisters that you cared enough to do some research.

BUT, the most important thing about Rush is to go in with a completely open mind. Don't listen to folks giving you their opinion about the girls in each chapter. (No disrespect meant to daisyflower here!)

Instead, listen to your heart and, by doing so, you'll find the house where you fit the best. Trust me, even with a Greek population as large as UA's, you'll be able to figure out which girls you have the most in common with. They may be the most "popular" on campus, or they may be a small house that just happens to have some really nice girls.

Size isn't everything and popularity CERTAINLY isn't - because people define popularity in so many different ways. It's like trying to compare apples and oranges. Hope this helps and Good Luck with Rush
Old 05-02-2001, 01:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Angry

Is it just me, or is Oohteenywhatshername always putting down someone else's replies or topics? This is my first time to post, but I just had to get this off my mind. I have also noticed she gets pretty bummed when someone disagrees with her. Maybe she sat out in the sun too long and has forgotten her manners. A little more patience, politeness, and tolerance, please...
Old 05-02-2001, 02:02 AM
GreekChat Member

In my opinion, OTW always gives fabulous advice and she is a true asset to this greek community online. She tells things like they are: we shouldn't be telling prospective members what OUR opinions of the chapters are, b/c as OTW says, they will go through rush with the wrong outlook. This is pure speculation (and i'm playing devil's advocate) but maybe ZTA was her favorite house before and now that you've told her that, she'll give up all dreams of being "crowned" b/c who would want to be in the sorority that the guys don't like BTW - what guys think of your potential sisters should NOT factor in when choosing a sorority - its about sisterhood, not a dating contest. If you want to see what the sororities at UA are like before you rush - wait until second semester, watch how involved they get on campus, what kind of girls the ones YOU meet are, and see if you think you would fit in. Don't go on other people's opinions! Best of luck rushing!
Old 05-02-2001, 04:45 AM
Unregistered-

I'll say it before and I'll say it again...

I will not and shall not readjust my attitude to satisfy anyone.

I don't know where this person gets the idea that I'm pretty bummed when someone disagrees with me. I'm very much aware that there will always be people who won't agree with me.

I welcome ANYONE who has a beef with me to email me privately if you wish.

If you're looking for patience and tolerance you'll probably have to look elsewhere and won't find any from me...tough cookies.
Old 05-02-2001, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator

Thumbs down

Violetalum--

Who are YOU to come onto the board and criticize OTW? She's always right on the money.You say you've never posted before but I wonder. Could the Texas sun have fried your brain, by any chance?
Old 05-02-2001, 09:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Wink

I have visited the campus of the University of Alabama and it is a beautiful campus with beautiful fraternity and sorority houses. I would be honored to be in any sorority there, even though there are always rumors going on about each sorority. It's a great school with a great Greek community. My brother-in-law goes there so I may be a little biased in this statement but nonetheless, it's a wonderful school. Roll Tide!
Old 05-02-2001, 03:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy

I laughed til I almost cried when I read Carnation's post that made reference to those people from Texas. It is so ironic, because that strange website is what led me to Greek chat in the first place!!! See, a sorority sister of mine who went through a lot of ribbing when her daughter pledged a different sorority called me and told me about that web site because my daughter pledged Chi O this year. All my sisters were ragging me because I have bid day for my sorority at my house every year(for about 18 years and used to have preference tea here too. Now, pref is at the lodge and this year they used some beautiful bicolored yellow and red roses during rush. The roses were dead by bid day and word had gotten out about my duaghter'choice, so my sisters arranged them in a florist's box and had them delivered at the bid day party to me as a joke. We all laughed and they sent flowers to my daughter to congrat. her because they love her and want her to be happy with her choice. She is far away at a huge SEC University and loves her sorority so much but, I DIGRESS here, so back on track...) After reading the V's website back in the summer, I was so mad that they'd try to hurt so many young women. I saw a reference to greekchat on their site and went to it. I was hooked just like you, and wanted to keep up with what was happening. Also, I must confess that it helped me be not so lonely for my daughter and son who are both in school and are greeks. Greekchat helped me feel more in touch with their lives, or at least some of the parts they might think I am too old to relate to. I have been up and down with the SHSU girls and with Billy Optimist and many others. I love MAMAbuddha's attitude and some of ya'll are really a hoot. It also helps me relate to the girls I have worked with for 29 years as an alum. You will never know how much you all have helped fill a void this year until you are parents. Anyway I just don't think GC should be a place to be used as a bully pulpit. In many ways it takes a lot of courage to put your thoughts and fears and problems out there for everybody and many people really want a lot of opinions when they ask these questions. If one asserts herself as an authority, one should be an authority, and OTW said in a recent post that she knows little about NPC policy. Also, going through rush at a school with only one NPC sorority and several locals is quite different than going through rush at , say, a huge SEC school (NO I AM NOT FROM TEXAS), so some of your advice may not be as helpful as you think. It IS very scarey to go through one of these big rushes where every Rec counts and you need a three page resume of high school activities. I don't think it helps to have a general forum about "what is ABC like?" But, when someone asks a question about a specific campus, then it is only fair to let others answer. Just remember to take some of it with a grain of salt, as many times, people base their opinion on issues that really have little to do with the GLO as a whole , even on specific campuses. Also, it isn't very objective for you to get on here and rave about your specific chapter being #one at your school based on your opinion. We all asumme that it should be #1 in your heart, even though in your head, you may know that others may not agree. That should only fuel your desire to work harder. There are a lot of people out here who would have some pretty good advice but won't post because they are afraid of getting slammed for voicing their opinions. Who decides whose opinion is the most valuable, anyway? Wouldn't that be up to the individual reader? So, I love hearing about all of you and what is going on, just don't be too harsh, OK? OTW I think you have some good answers for many things, just not EVERY time. Is it OK for me to feel that way/and can we be "GC friends"? P.S. To whoever IS interested in Bama rush, go back and reread about LSU rush. Some places want 30 recs and other areas of the country don't even use recs. That is why these types of questions are OK. At some of these schools it really is the worst week of your life...at least until you open up that bid!