GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Sigma > Sigma Alpha Iota
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,257
2 members and 2,255 guests
Cookiez17

Old 05-24-2011, 09:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Traditions

Greetings SAI sisters.

I was just wondering what traditions your chapter has?

We have family fabric that we pass down. Our chapter also make pan pipes out of wood. Ha.

I know family lines are not allowed--but I am still interested in them for some reason. Must be because I like history so much. Many sororities in my college have their sisters literally memorize their entire family line. And I suppose family lines can be hazing and may cause a rupture in the sisterhood since there may be divisions or cliques....

What do you guys feel about this?

Old 05-26-2011, 09:54 AM
GreekChat Member

As far as traditions go, we have senior words of wisdom whenever a new class is graduating. After initiation, we take the new sisters to a local restaurant to celebrate.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:14 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm bumping this because one of our annual chapter traditions happened tonight.

Beta Lambda does something called Paper Plate Awards. We have an Honors Committee (don't know if that's a national thing or just a chapter thing) comprised of three sophomores who handle the awards the chapter gives out. Eligible juniors and seniors also hand in their applications for Sword of Honor/Ruby Sword to them.

Anyway, one of the cute things this committee does is Paper Plate Awards. Each sister gets an award which is specific to her. For example, someone who's really into the environment might get "Best Tree Hugger". These awards are drawn on paper plates, hence the name.

Tonight, I received the Sweetest Heart award. I'm so touched that my sisters think that of me. I try to be a strong example of sisterly love to others, and I'm glad others think that I am one.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Our chapter makes banners! They are pretty cute. Bigs give them to their littles. I love mine and it is still on my wall at my house. It has my name, my big's name, SAI, our chapter letters and the year.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Another tradition: Last night and next Monday are wills for us. That's when the seniors pass down most or all of their old letters, plus other things they have been willed. I have some funny wills, and a couple of very serious wills. Can't wait to give this stuff on!
Old 07-06-2013, 07:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Each of our sisters has a matching letters shirt which they get shortly after initiation. Hopefully one day we'll get a casual picture with all of us in our shirts! x)

I have mixed feelings about the "family line" thing. On one hand, I understand why they're not allowed - it creates cliques and at least from the outside, it seems like other fraternities/sororities that have family lines *do* tend to form cliques. Likewise, the lack of family lines also puts everyone on a more equal ground with everyone else. On the other hand, it's kinda fun to know who had whom as a big sister during their MIT semester and it can help introduce newer members to older members and alumnae. I guess the same goes for why we don't have class names, or why VPMs are discouraged to take in littles.