GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 2,802
1 members and 2,801 guests
No Members online

Old 08-22-2017, 09:57 PM
GreekChat Member

U Alabama Recruitment story

A friend of my daughter, whom I will call Laura,
enlisted my advise/help for her recruitment at Alabama. Although Theta Phi Alpha doesn't have a chapter at UA, my years of reading threads in Greekchat and experiences working for my National Office (including NPC Delegate) helped me to guide Laura before and during her experience.

Laura is a well rounded high academic achiever (6th out of 600 students), a cheerleader, and serves her community in a variety of ways. We met back in early July and I told her that recs were a must. She enlisted the help of a few sorority women that she knows, and I sought out our NPC Delegate for additional help. Laura's parents are not greek but were supportive of the process.

Since I love to travel, I will present each chapter, in the name of one of my travel destinations.

Round 1, Informational round, is divided into 2 days, 16 houses total. Laura was a bit overwhelmed and it was very hot-several PNM's passed out due to the heat. After she was finished with Round 1, she had 3 favorite houses. These houses specifically advocated community service and academics. They were:
Cabo
Ft. Myers
Myrtle Beach
Her next 3 favorites were:
Cancun
Traverse City
Savannah
Middle of the pack:
New York City
Dallas
San Francisco
Denver
St.Louis
Nashville
Chicago
Indianpolis
Bottom choices, because there was an akwardness, and not a strong sense to academic or service, were:
Gatlinburg
Niagra Falls
Laura was afraid that many PNM's would rank the same houses at the top that she did. I told her not to worry about what everyone else was doing, don't even try to guess what the chapters were doing and avoid tent talk.
More later...

"Nothing great is ever achieved without much enduring"

Sisters Together Forever...
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-22-2017, 10:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Great advice to this PNM! Keep the story going!
Old 08-22-2017, 10:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Look forward to hearing her story!

Chi Omega
Old 08-23-2017, 04:38 AM
GreekChat Member

So, round 2 was next, Philantropy round. Laura feared that she would get only a few houses on her schedule. The most she could get was 12 & even her Rho Chi told her that the chances of that was slim, she had only gotten 5 when she was a PNM. She was relieved to get invited to 8 houses! She was a bit bummed that Myrtle Beach had dropped her, but she was quite happy with most of her other houses. Galinburg, Niagra Falls &Indianapolis were all on her schedule and not favorites but she decided to keep an open mind, maybe they were just nervous. I had told her how hard it is to be an active chapter member during recruitment. She also keep hearing me say over & over to not eliminate any houses if she wanted to be guaranteed sisterhood after Pref party. As long as Laura had invites, she knew she should accept them. She enjoyed all that the houses had to offer & really tried to connect with the service projects. After 2nd round was over she ranked her choices, still putting Cabo & Ft. Myers at the top & Indianapolis, Gatlinburg & Niagra Falls on the bottom-she still just did not connect with them yet.. Laura was starting to feel quite a connection to New York City, Savannah, & Nashville. She had great conversations there. She told me she was having a great time & was very excited, by the end of her house visits she was no longer bummed about Myrtle Beach. After all, she didn't even know if any of her recs appeared to the chapters & since she didn't know anyone going through this process until she got on campus, she felt really proud of herself for doing so well. Her roommate was a legacy to a house that did invite them both back but she knew from talking to me that anything could happen in Alabama!

Old 08-23-2017, 03:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Third Round was Sisterhood round. Laura was pretty sure she didn't want to be a Niagra Falls, Indianapolis or Gatlinburg, but they kept showing up on her schedule, including Sisterhood round. She had 6 parties, not a full schedule of 8 but close. Some PNM's had far less & she felt fortunate to have 6. Her other 3 houses were Savanah, New York City & Nashville. She loved the sisterhood round. At first she was disappointed that Cabo & Ft. Myers dropped her but soon she realized that she couldn't really see herself at either place & one was her roommate's legacy house & they dropped her too. She worried a lit bit about maybe not having enough or even any recs but figured at this point it is what it is. Laura saw true sisterhood in the 3 houses she loved the most , looking beyond decorations & house decor. She remembered that I told her that the real reason you are joining is for lifetime friendships. Pref was next & she knew it only takes 1!!

Old 08-23-2017, 03:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Looking forward to Laura's pref round!
Old 08-23-2017, 09:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Pref day came & I did not hear from Laura during the day. I sent her good wishes & asked her to keep me posted. I have to say that this was a crazy day for me to be guiding a young woman through recruitment because I was on a motorcycle trip with my husband. I happened to check my Facebook via my mobile after an early dinner while on our bike. I assumed PNM's were allowed to use their phones after their Pref parties were over. Laura stated she was completely confused on what to do because she did go to 3 Prefs but was only totally in love with Nashville. The other 2 houses were the same 2 houses that she just didn't connect with all week long, Indianapolis & Niagara Falls. She told me she couldn't see herself at either place but she really wanted sisterhood. She didn't want to spend the next 4 yrs without it. She was considering single intentional preferencing Nashville. I told her that to be considered for quota additions she must list all 3 & she also got that same answer from her Rho Chi. I asked her to look deep inside herself...could she see herself as the needed spark that the 2 houses that she felt lacked something, may need? I told her that she may be the leader that they need in the semesters to come. I said, Laura, you have nothing to lose & everything to gain by listing 3 choices. If it doesn't work out you can be released of your pledge but you will find your sisterhood if you really want it! Don't take a chance by not listing all 3...it only takes 1! I'm sure people watching me on the back of our Goldwing thought I was nuts working so intensely on my phone! Laura had 90 minutes to decide...I was trying to get her my thoughts before it was too late. I reminded her of a guaranteed bid if she listed all 3 but I could not make the decision for her. I could only imagine what went through her mind. I have been down this road many times at my alma mater, with my oldest daughter & her friends but not in Alabama!
The next minutes felt like hours. Finally she messaged that she did it...she listed all 3: Nashville, Indianapolis & Niagra Falls in that order. I congratulated her & told her she would be a sorority new member the next day. I don't think she got much sleep.
The next morning bids went out at 10AM...I didn't get a joyous message right away but figured she must be busy with bid day excitement. I was on pins & needles. Finally, I got a simple Whoohoo on my messenger...Laura got her first choice of Nashville! Which means she is a proud new member of Alpha Omicron Pi!
Guess if she can't be a Theta Phi, she can be an AOPi! Lol! I get to do this all over again with my double legacy daughter in a few weeks but thank god, not in Alabama! I am so glad I got to experience recruitment at Alabama. I doubt Theta Phi will have a chapter there anytime soon so for me this was as good as it gets!

Old 08-23-2017, 09:53 PM
GreekChat Member

YAY for AOII!
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 08-23-2017, 10:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Huzzah for AOII! Welcome Laura!
Old 08-24-2017, 12:30 AM
GreekChat Member

HOORAY!!! I was a bit nervous for her.... and you!
Old 08-24-2017, 03:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Hooray for Laura - and you!
Alabama sorority recruitment is really no different from recruitment at any other NPC-affiliated school - just bigger. They all work the same!
Sounds like AOPi gained an enthusiastic new member!
Roll Tide!

Old 08-24-2017, 03:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations to her on a successful recruitment and for accepting a bid to AOPi
Old 08-24-2017, 08:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Laura is very happy & loving greek life already. I realize recruitment is basically run the same at most schools but remember, my national organization does not have a lot of chapters that require recs...that is more prominent in the South & on many large campuses. Theta Phi just isn't at many of those Universities. The closest similarity to Alabama would be Indiana & Cincinnati, although we are on many strong Panhellenic campuses. I enjoyed taking this ride with Laura, thanks for reading our story!