GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Locals

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,128
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, baadamashtolzea
» Online Users: 1,291
1 members and 1,290 guests
No Members online

Old 08-02-2011, 04:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Local christian sorority

Hello all,

I'm in the process of creating a christian sorority for christians who want to be apart of a sisterhood.

If you are anybody you know wants to be apart of something like this, please feel free to contact me.

The sorority will be in S.C.

Thanks,

SynQuis
Old 08-02-2011, 04:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
There is a National Christian Sorority---Sigma Alpha Omega. It was founded at NCState and has since spread to other schools.

There are other sororities that call themselves "Christian" but I can't think of them right now. (I only put it in quotations, because many general sororities were founded on Christian ideals, but do not include "Christian" in their name.)
Old 08-02-2011, 04:48 PM
GreekChat Member

See also: Alpha Lambda Omega Sorority (http://www.alocs.org/)

Old 08-02-2011, 06:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soror SynQuis View Post
Hello all,

I'm in the process of creating a christian sorority for christians who want to be apart of a sisterhood.

If you are anybody you know wants to be apart of something like this, please feel free to contact me.

Thanks,

SynQuis
Not to rain on your parade, but I will tell you right now. Before starting a sorority its best to look at the others and then decide why do you want to create one. Because you are not creating the first org, nor like others have pointed out there are plenty in your area already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0Xa4bHcJu8

Last edited by BluPhire; 08-03-2011 at 06:06 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:27 PM
GreekChat Member

There are other Christian sororities nationwide. Check alpha delta chi, sigma phi lambda, or the kappa phi club.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
who want to be apart of a sisterhood.
...a part of....
Old 08-02-2011, 08:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Hello all,

Thanks,

SynQuis
I am the Executive Director (volunteer) of a professional fraternity for artists that was established in 2010.

Please.... research each and every Christian sorority which is in existence before you finalize plans to begin a new organization.

It is very easy to fall in love with a name, colors, letters, a call, a handsign, traditions, and the idea of sisterhood. These are the things we have all doodled about in notebooks, designed line jackets for fun, and spent hours on paraphernalia websites pondering.

Nobody falls in love with writing a constitution and/or bylaws.

Nobody daydreams about getting a federal employment ID number, which you need before opening a bank account. And oh yeah, deciding on a dues structure so you have money to put in the account.

And I'm sorry, incorporation isn't easy, either, at least not in the state in which my fraternity was founded.

And then deciding whether to be 501(c)(7) or 501(c)(10) and realizing that there are almost no books out there to read up on the differences and few lawyers with the know how to help. Even if you could afford them.

Or, you know, affording to obtain the tax exempt status in the first place.

And who serves on your national board of directors? Who joins your committees?

How will you pay for insurance? Some campuses will not let you expand there without it.

I decided to work with Gamma Xi Phi Professional Arts Fraternity because I believed in the uniqueness of its mission: to assemble established and emerging artists of color in the spirit of brotherhood. The purpose was strong enough to withstand the test of time, but malleable enough to know that I could work for it and with it for many years to come.

I am not trying to dissuade you. But the ONLY reason I work for GXP is because it is the perfect storm of Greekdom. The students at Ramapo and the professional artists in DC are a good match -- very few new fraternities will have that combination of youthful exuberance, wisdom, and nonprofit experience in two different locations within the first year.

My advice to 99 percent of any other potential founders of any Greek letter org would be different: find an existing organization and join it.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post

Nobody daydreams about getting a federal employment ID number, which you need before opening a bank account.
Except, perhaps, me.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
While I echo what everyone else has said (especially Sen), I also feel the need to point out that many, many, many Christians find sisterhood or brotherhood in sororities or fraternities that are not explicitly Christian sororities or Christian fraternities. But if an explicitly Christian sorority is what you want, look at the ones that are already established before you even consider founding your own.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I am the Executive Director (volunteer) of a professional fraternity for artists that was established in 2010.

Please.... research each and every Christian sorority which is in existence before you finalize plans to begin a new organization.

It is very easy to fall in love with a name, colors, letters, a call, a handsign, traditions, and the idea of sisterhood. These are the things we have all doodled about in notebooks, designed line jackets for fun, and spent hours on paraphernalia websites pondering.

Nobody daydreams about getting a federal employment ID number, which you need before opening a bank account. And oh yeah, deciding on a dues structure so you have money to put in the account.

And I'm sorry, incorporation isn't easy, either, at least not in the state in which my fraternity was founded.

And then deciding whether to be 501(c)(7) or 501(c)(10) and realizing that there are almost no books out there to read up on the differences and few lawyers with the know how to help. Even if you could afford them.

Or, you know, affording to obtain the tax exempt status in the first place.

And who serves on your national board of directors? Who joins your committees?

How will you pay for insurance? Some campuses will not let you expand there without it.

I decided to work with Gamma Xi Phi Professional Arts Fraternity because I believed in the uniqueness of its mission: to assemble established and emerging artists of color in the spirit of brotherhood. The purpose was strong enough to withstand the test of time, but malleable enough to know that I could work for it and with it for many years to come.

I am not trying to dissuade you. But the ONLY reason I work for GXP is because it is the perfect storm of Greekdom. The students at Ramapo and the professional artists in DC are a good match -- very few new fraternities will have that combination of youthful exuberance, wisdom, and nonprofit experience in two different locations within the first year.

My advice to 99 percent of any other potential founders of any Greek letter org would be different: find an existing organization and join it.

My nightmare all over again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0Xa4bHcJu8
Old 08-04-2011, 12:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Being a Christian sorority/fraternity is not enough. You will need to decide what KIND of Christian sorority you want to be.

For example, will Christians who do not believe in the concept of the trinity/triune God be welcomed? What about those who believe that the only way to prove one's salvation is through speaking in tongues? Will Messianic Jews be welcome? Mormons? Jehovah's Witnesses? Catholics? What about Christians who don't go to church or tithe?

My point is that there are MANY Christian sects, all of which believe differently, and some even have their OWN bibles and other scriptures. If you're going to create a Christian sorority, you'll need to decide what beliefs are acceptable/unacceptable for your sorority and then create a doctrinal statement so that your sorority's theological position is clear.

How knowledgeable are you about other Christian groups besides your own? If you're not too familiar, how are you going to develop policies, rituals, ceremonies etc that aren't going to be offensive to members of Christian sects/groups different from your own?

Those are just some things that need to be considered on top of all the stuff Senusret I told you. It's a lot to do and if it's not handled correctly, you could end up with a bunch of hurting (and possibly spiritually abused) women and a huge mess.

Just some food for thought.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoBug View Post
Being a Christian sorority/fraternity is not enough. You will need to decide what KIND of Christian sorority you want to be.

For example, will Christians who do not believe in the concept of the trinity/triune God be welcomed? What about those who believe that the only way to prove one's salvation is through speaking in tongues? Will Messianic Jews be welcome? Mormons? Jehovah's Witnesses? Catholics? What about Christians who don't go to church or tithe?

My point is that there are MANY Christian sects, all of which believe differently, and some even have their OWN bibles and other scriptures. If you're going to create a Christian sorority, you'll need to decide what beliefs are acceptable/unacceptable for your sorority and then create a doctrinal statement so that your sorority's theological position is clear.

How knowledgeable are you about other Christian groups besides your own? If you're not too familiar, how are you going to develop policies, rituals, ceremonies etc that aren't going to be offensive to members of Christian sects/groups different from your own?

Those are just some things that need to be considered on top of all the stuff Senusret I told you. It's a lot to do and if it's not handled correctly, you could end up with a bunch of hurting (and possibly spiritually abused) women and a huge mess.

That is so deep. I never even considered the Theological implications.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoBug View Post

Quote:
That is so deep. I never even considered the Theological implications.
Like minds typically gravitate toward one another. If you look at the existing Christian sororities, you can identify the theological leanings of the members. From personal experience, looking into the many, MANY Christian sororities out there, I have yet to find one that encompasses everything I would look for in such an organization.

If I had to put my finger on the problem, I would say that there is no presently existing Christian sorority that I can mesh with in terms of the filioque clause, biblical inerrancy, AND the importance of works in the process of theosis. These aren't my only issues, but are certainly biggies.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:34 PM
GreekChat Member

So I was right, it is "I want to start a local" season.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
So I was right, it is "I want to start a local" season.
I think it peaks after "ZOMGGG why was I cut by all the houses just because I slammed most of them on GC?!?!!! FU allll imma start my own sorority"

(about a month from now)