GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,532
2 members and 2,530 guests
navane, PGD-GRAD

Old 07-22-2012, 02:34 PM
GreekChat Member

UGA ?

daughter and roommate from oos rushing in 2 1/2 weeks. i am on pins and needles. they are both great girls. they both have recs for all the houses. they are working on their conversation skills. roommate is legacy to a chapter, but as ya'll have stated before, really isn't a shoe in. what i'm most concerned about are big blocks of local girls bringing in blocks of local girls and not having room for anyone from oos. they are both going in calm as cucumbers, it's the mommas that are worried/concerned/anxious. what were last year's numbers if anyone knows? how many girls dropped out / released before prefs? do you know if this was due to grades/ just didn't match? how many went bidless? im making myself crazy.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-22-2012, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

One good thing is that a sorority generally won't take a big block of girls from one high school or small town because they need to spread themselves out geographically.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:54 PM
GreekChat Member

First take a deep breath. About 20% of students at UGA are from out of state and a slightly higher percentage of sorority women are from out of state. I dont know what the final count was for how many dropped out last year, but Thanks to RFM - only a very small number of women did not get a bid that stayed until the end (and those probably had a SIP?) So as long as they keep an open mind and dont have their hearts set on only one or two chapters things should work out. Tell them to take a chance and see what is out there - they should be pleasantly surprised.
Old 07-22-2012, 03:40 PM
GreekChat Member

It may FEEL like they're lone wolves, but statistics we've run here have shown that oos girls don't have any lesser chance of a bid (to virtually any chapter) than any other girl. The numbers we've run weren't for Georgia, but for equally southern and equally competitive schools. If they've done their prep work (sounds like it) and they go in willing to accept any of the chapters, they'll be fine.

I would also do some reading through here on some advice about best practices for making their preference orders, particularly in early rounds. In short, Your daughter has a very good round 1 and cuts out some chapters that would have been a good fit for her. She has a mediocre round 2 and then doesn't have a full schedule to keep her odds up. If she had put some of her iffy choices up in the top group and dropped 1 or 2 of the high prestige chapters to her ranked list, after that round 2, she might still have a full list. The trick here is you don't want your daughter to sell herself short and assume only the weaker recruiting chapters are a good fit for her. I would suggest balancing her dream chapters with her "safety" chapters, particularly in the early rounds.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:31 PM
GreekChat Member

UGA has a terrific, strong Greek Life, and any of the 17 sororities has a lot to offer. The in-state, out-of-state isn't that big of a deal - having recs to each house will be helpful. If she keeps an open mind and positive outlook, she will likely find a house she loves.

Even though it was a lifetime ago since I rushed at UGA, the best advice I can give anyone is that the heat and long days will really take it out of her - she needs to drink plenty of water, get lots of sleep and try to eat right...

And wear comfortable shoes!