GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 1,533
1 members and 1,532 guests
annetaedarky158

Old 09-27-2010, 12:45 PM
GreekChat Member

A "non-Alpha Phi" Alpha Phi pin

An interesting pin from another Alpha Phi organization:

Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-29-2010, 12:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Badge repair..

I'm coming late to the party, but thought i would comment on 2 items.

#1:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetygerlily View Post
1900 clasp.
This clasp is not original to this badge. see how it has that wide base and is somewhat different color metal? the original would be much more primitive, in keeping with the t-bar pin. Also, the 10K gold stamp on the clasp is totally out of character with the vintage of the pin. this is what I would deem a 'marriage': an older pin married with a newer safety clasp, which I would estimate is from the 30's or 40's.

#2:
Quote:
My only guess for the placement change is that if the clasp ever needs to be repaired, there's less likelihood of damaging the stones when doing the metal work. Other than that I'm not sure.
This strikes me as the jeweler being cheap-the shorter pin length is probably the same as on a smaller badge from another group. By consolidating to a single pin length the jeweler saves from having to maintain 2 separate parts in inventory. If it were my badge, I would complain about this workmanship to my HQ-the badge is imbalanced, and IMHO not the quality level in keeping with the $$ you paid.

A semi-related comment on repairs: I recently had a new pin stem added to an old badge via laser solder (the original had been cut to turn the badge into a charm). Laser does not heat the metal so you do not have damaged pearls, opals, etc. Be prepared to shop around to find someone who does laser soldering, and you'll likely have pay a bit more for the repair, but it's worth it to avoid an ugly soft solder repair (or burned pearls). In my case, the entire repair was $85, which included the new pin stem.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Here is a Delta Chi badge with a chased chi and a ruby center - a fairly popular style between the 50s and 70s (my guess from meeting alumni from that period during convention). If there were a garnet instead of a ruby, I would have bought this in an instant.

Now this badge, I think, is really interesting. I've seen Beta Sigma Phi badges in black and white enamel, but never green! Can any BSPs tell us about the history of this badge?

We've seen jeweled versions of this Theta Chi badge, but look at the beautiful chasing on the edge of the diamond!

Old 09-30-2010, 02:28 AM
GreekChat Member

^^ Ooh, pretty Theta Chi badge! I still can't get over how cool it is that the snakes and the swords = Theta and Chi. Gah!
Old 09-30-2010, 04:59 PM
GreekChat Member

*not the best images* --> they turned out a little out of focus. oh well

I've been a lurker for a while now. But I finally got my badge and took pictures of it with 2 others I have "rescued" from online. I have to say that I was a little disappointed when I finally got my badge, I had purchased the other 2 before receiving my own so I was looking forward to something more like them. But instead its very very shiny and noticeably different. It's not bad, I still think its beautiful and I love it but I'm not as impressed with it as I was with the other two.

EDIT: Does anyone know why they just put you initials on the back now instead of your full name? Could I take it somewhere to have my full named engraved on the back of my badge?

all three of the badges (middle one is mine)

Up close on mine (not a very good picture). As someone mentioned before the new badges are much shinier and flatter than the old ones. You can also see what looks like tool marks and the edges and top side isn't as smooth. To tell you the truth it looks like it wasn't very well crafted which is sad to me.

The 2nd oldest badge. This is probably the one I will wear most often because it is in the best condition, and (in my opinion) the most beautiful. But you can see my new badge in the corner, side by side close up you can see the differences I mentioned before easier.

This is the oldest badge. I actually really like this one, the short trident is really cool. This one is also much more circular than the other two and the top star isn't fully inside the crescent. This one seems to be what my personal one is supposed to resemble, but the new one doesn't match the quality of the old.

In all I will probably wear the one in the lower right corner most often. For those of you who are wondering, I don't make a habit of purchases badges online, these two I rescued were from estate sales where the seller had no real clue what they were. I will probably eventually send them in to EO, but for now they are safe.

Last edited by KXEM; 09-30-2010 at 05:11 PM.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
I like the lower right one best as well. It has a more rounded look on the crescent which I really like.

The flatness kind of reminds me of ho Alpha Phi new member badges are now really flat and shiny when they used to be pewter-looking and more 3D almost. They just look really mass made now.
EXACTLY what I was thinking
Old 10-01-2010, 12:04 AM
GreekChat Member

I really do like your short trident badge. I have a rescue that is about that age too, but I have never seen one with the star outside of the crescent. How interesting. I also know exactly what you mean about the new badges. I feel like the quality and craftsmanship is not anywhere equal to the old badges. I know that they have a lot of badges to make and they want to keep them affordable, but sometimes they just look cheaply/ mass made. Its sad.

Old 10-01-2010, 10:49 AM
GreekChat Member

KXEM,

Any chance you can tell us the year of each Tri Delta badge? I would love to know the difference between the three.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:58 PM
GreekChat Member

The top one is from the 1940's (she graduated in 1945)
The middle one is from 2010
The bottom one is from the 1950's/1960's (she graduated in 1962)
Old 10-01-2010, 01:03 PM
GreekChat Member

KXEM, your photography is really nice.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:32 PM
GreekChat Member

KXEM

The initials are the standard now for badges.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Question for TriDeltas: is it unique or unusual to have the points of the top star extend above the crescent points? If so, pm me.

And, also bumping to say that I went to the New Member welcome dessert last night at the chapter, and was happy to see almost all of the new members wearing their badges. Initiation was this past Saturday. They are thrilled, and I love those standard kites. A few of them came over to inspect my badge and one shared that she is asking for a "fancy badge" for Christmas. I was so tempted to point her to Badge Trends, but I'll wait; she's a freshman and college is very expensive.

I am writing to J Lewis Small to inquire about the cost involved in "custom" badges; it's a pipe dream, but if Dyer could do it... and J Lewis Small has the dies/blanks for standard badges... could it be so much more difficult? Bear in mind I am NOT a jeweler and know nothing about this, I'm just wishing out loud.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 10-14-2010, 03:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
My new badge came in! Say hello to the very first blue & blue key Not a great picture for now but it's a start.

In most ways it is identical to my 2002 sapphire & pearl badge- but obviously different stones, and my original one didn't have enamel. But the shape, lettering, etc is all very similar. I'm thinking that through the M&A process they likely kept the same dies. When I have more time I'll look more closely and get better pictures, but for now...

Blue & blue badge!!!!!!
So...since yesterday was Founders Day (yay for 140 years!), I was on Herff Jones looking to FINALLY buy a chapter guard and saw the new badge! After debating buying it, I ordered one today, along with a chapter guard, without enamel (my original badge is sapphire/pearl/enamel). I'm rationalizing spending over $200 as an early Christmas present for myself.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky&sea View Post
So...since yesterday was Founders Day (yay for 140 years!), I was on Herff Jones looking to FINALLY buy a chapter guard and saw the new badge! After debating buying it, I ordered one today, along with a chapter guard, without enamel (my original badge is sapphire/pearl/enamel). I'm rationalizing spending over $200 as an early Christmas present for myself.
YAY! That's awesome, congratulations! I did exactly the opposite- my original badge is sapphire & pearl without enamel but with chapter guard, so my blue & blue badge is with enamel and without a chapter guard. It's nice to have options.... and gorgeous ones at that!

To all the badge trends folks- I was at Kappa HQ a week and a half ago and have some pictures to share... but won't be posting any until a certain someone here sends me something long overdue
Old 10-14-2010, 04:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
YAY! That's awesome, congratulations! I did exactly the opposite- my original badge is sapphire & pearl without enamel but with chapter guard, so my blue & blue badge is with enamel and without a chapter guard. It's nice to have options.... and gorgeous ones at that!

To all the badge trends folks- I was at Kappa HQ a week and a half ago and have some pictures to share... but won't be posting any until a certain someone here sends me something long overdue
MARIA!!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!