GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,454
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, nathnpetrovo648
» Online Users: 1,532
1 members and 1,531 guests
Sen's Revenge

Old 04-23-2012, 12:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Ok, thank you all for your opinions! I know there's probably no exact answer for this, but when are the worst winter months to drive in? I HAVE to bring a car (it's a long story), but I am concerned about driving in an unfamiliar city.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-23-2012, 02:28 PM
GreekChat Member

tngirl01 - I don't mean to completely disagree with the previous posters on the driving issue- they are right in that you do want to be cautious and you don't want to assume because Seattle has a temperate climate that driving in winter is a breeze, but it isn't fraught with extreme danger either, and most of us (including teenagers) in the PNW drive throughout the winter without taking our lives in our hands.

I've driven in Portland, Eugene, Spokane (which is less rainy and much more snowy), and Seattle extensively through every season for almost 30 years now, and except for a bizarre day here and there, I've never found driving in the winter here to be particularly hazardous. Of course, I'm not originally from the area, so maybe those who have been born and raised on the west coast and have driven less in other parts of the country would feel differently. I'll admit, Oregonians and Washingtonians are not among the country's best drivers.

Yes, it can get icey (but this isn't a nightly occurence), and yes there can be a lot of water, but they have built many of the roads on the west side so that water runs-off. As long as you remember to pump your brakes slightly after going through an occassional large puddle, and maintain a reasonable speed - it isn't usually a problem.

I've found visibility issues - from fog and driving wind/rain to be a bigger cause for concern, but again, if you are excercising normal safety precautions, it isn't any more hazardous, in my opinion, that the driving obstacles you face in a lot of states and cities in the winter and less than quite a few.

Again, you do want to keep safety in mind, but I don't want you to be terrified to come up here and get behind the wheel either or feel like you can't drive at all 3 months out of the year. Everyone does. The only thing that brings people in Seattle to a screeching halt is 1/2 inch of snow (that's true for the entire west side).

The worst months are December-March, but February for whatever reason seems a little better. However, this can all vary a lot from year to year. The last couple of years, have seemed (to me at least) colder and ranier/icier than usual, but some years are pretty temperate year round. The only thing you can count on is rain.

Driving in an unfamiliar city is scary but part of life. You'll probably start out sticking pretty close to the U-District. Fortunately, most of what you need will be close by, so you won't have much reason to wander far (there is a large mall no more than 5 minutes up the road in addition to the on-campus shopping). As you get comfortable you can wander farther and by then you'll have plenty of friends, I'm sure, from Seattle and surrounding areas who will jump in the car with you and show you where to go.

If it makes you feel any better - some of my best memories are of days I got lost with friends in Seattle. After a while you'll feel like you know the parts you need to know well.

Last edited by AXOmom; 04-23-2012 at 03:05 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:52 PM
GreekChat Member

AXOmom, thank you so much! I'm pretty used to driving in snow, except for it didn't snow at all this year where I live like it normally does. You had me pinned when you said that about coming up to Seattle and being terrified, so you've really eased my anxiety! Which if you haven't noticed, I have a lot of.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tngirl01 View Post
AXOmom, thank you so much! I'm pretty used to driving in snow, except for it didn't snow at all this year where I live like it normally does. You had me pinned when you said that about coming up to Seattle and being terrified, so you've really eased my anxiety! Which if you haven't noticed, I have a lot of.
Often it's not so much the snow, but with the hills, the snow and the ice (which often comes with it). Even though I know how to drive in snow I still hate going out because of the other drivers. The snow here is much "wetter" than in the rest of the nation where it is powder.

A few examples of drivers in Seattle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6zlkP8thkk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzBdW1OVcWw

There are quite a few more... Seattle got hit harder than Portland did, but we didn't have much (any?) snow until after New Year's. Even then we had a couple days maybe while I think Seattle had about a week. The rest is driving in rain and fog like AXOMom said.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 04-23-2012, 07:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Here's the thing: in a city that regularly has inclement weather, the roads get salted/plowed quickly and people don't freak out when it snows. It's an adjustment, certainly, but it's not nearly as bad as being in a city where people DON'T know how to deal with it (see: Atlanta).
Old 04-23-2012, 09:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Here's the thing: in a city that regularly has inclement weather, the roads get salted/plowed quickly and people don't freak out when it snows. It's an adjustment, certainly, but it's not nearly as bad as being in a city where people DON'T know how to deal with it (see: Atlanta).
Well, Seattle and Portland, as WCSweet's video pointed out quite effectively, are a little more on the "freak out, don't know how to deal with it" end of things. The other drivers are a bigger danger than the weather.

Not to drag this even further off track, but in Portland at least (I assume the same would be true for Seattle for the same reasons), they don't use salt or chemical de-icers. Reason: fear that the chemicals will seep down through the soil into the river and hurt the salmon and the salt hurts the roads. Instead they use gravel/sand mixes that are rather useless.

Last edited by AXOmom; 04-23-2012 at 10:07 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
My comment is not about your driving, but all the people on the road who make it more dangerous, and if you don't need to be driving, avoid it. I have a lot of winter driving experience, a vehicle made for winter and off road terrain, and I often choose not to drive in the winter because of other people. I'll walk or coordinate rides since I'm half a block from the snow route and have excellent outdoor gear. If you don't have a membership to REI, get one now, it is well worth the $20 for a lifetime membership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCsweet<3 View Post
Often it's not so much the snow, but with the hills, the snow and the ice (which often comes with it). Even though I know how to drive in snow I still hate going out because of the other drivers. The snow here is much "wetter" than in the rest of the nation where it is powder.

A few examples of drivers in Seattle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6zlkP8thkk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzBdW1OVcWw

There are quite a few more... Seattle got hit harder than Portland did, but we didn't have much (any?) snow until after New Year's. Even then we had a couple days maybe while I think Seattle had about a week. The rest is driving in rain and fog like AXOMom said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AXOmom View Post
Well, Seattle and Portland, as WCSweet's video pointed out quite effectively, are a little more on the "freak out, don't know how to deal with it" end of things. The other drivers are a bigger danger than the weather.

Not to drag this even further off track, but in Portland at least (I assume the same would be true for Seattle for the same reasons), they don't use salt or chemical de-icers. Reason: fear that the chemicals will seep down through the soil into the river and hurt the salmon and the salt hurts the roads. Instead they use gravel/sand mixes that are rather useless.
Both of you are so high falutin' with your sidewalks, paved streets and plows. You haven't lived until you've driven either US 95 of WA-26 and have to stop and open the door to check if you're still on pavement. I'd also suggest US 12 this side of Lolo, when the black ice provides Elk ice dancing it is a thing of beauty.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:30 PM
GreekChat Member

QUOTE=VandalSquirrel;2140929]

Both of you are so high falutin' with your sidewalks, paved streets and plows. You haven't lived until you've driven either US 95 of WA-26 and have to stop and open the door to check if you're still on pavement. I'd also suggest US 12 this side of Lolo, when the black ice provides Elk ice dancing it is a thing of beauty.[/QUOTE]

LOL - I've driven both US 95 and WA 26 (not US 12). Driven WA 26 often - it's how I got from Portland to Pullman. The last time was daughter's freshman year at WSU. They had tons of snow that year - closed school twice and 195 for what seemed like a month. We were headed back to Spokane for a gymnastics meet she wanted to see and some house business for me, so I had to go that route through the snow to get her and then go back to Spokane that same way. Took me 3 1/2 hours (from Pullman up to Spokane that is ).

Now that we're totally off track- US 95 at one time was listed as one of the most dangerous roads in America;however, in the summer the drive down through Lewiston/Clarkston then eventually going off and continuing to Walla Walla and into Oregon is gorgeous in a stark/lonely sort of way.

tngirl001- don't worry about any of this though. Unless they are attending WSU - no one on the west side ever sees these roads or comes near them. They are only dimly aware there is another part of the state on the eastern half of the Cascades and these are not the driving conditions you will have to deal with. You'll be in the world of sidewalks and paved streets (not many plows though - they keep those in Spokane), but see how much you're already learning about your new state!.

(whoops - quotes didn't wrap..sorry).

Last edited by AXOmom; 04-24-2012 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Needed clarification
Old 04-24-2012, 12:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXOmom View Post
QUOTE=VandalSquirrel;2140929]

Both of you are so high falutin' with your sidewalks, paved streets and plows. You haven't lived until you've driven either US 95 of WA-26 and have to stop and open the door to check if you're still on pavement. I'd also suggest US 12 this side of Lolo, when the black ice provides Elk ice dancing it is a thing of beauty.[/QUOTE]

tngirl001- don't worry about any of this though. Unless they are attending WSU - no one on the west side ever sees these roads or comes near them. They are only dimly aware there is another part of the state on the eastern half of the Cascades and these are not the driving conditions you will have to deal with. You'll be in the world of sidewalks and paved streets (not many plows though - they keep those in Spokane), but see how much you're already learning about your new state!.

(whoops - quotes didn't wrap..sorry).
I call BS. There is no "Eastern half".

Honestly, if/when it snows there is enough around the campus that you probably won't need to drive.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 04-24-2012, 12:15 AM
GreekChat Member

DRIVING

I have only driven in the rain in Seattle.

However, I have driven in blizzards on mountain passes where the road could not be seen. I ski. It is a part of life. It sucks at times.

BOTTOM LINES;

YOU ARE IN NO HURRY TO GET IN AN ACCIDENT. DRIVE SLOW.

LEAVE PLENTY OF SPACE BETWEEN YOU AND THE NEXT CAR.

SUVs and 4 WHEEL DRIVE ARE WONDERFUL BUT BY NO MEANS OVER RIDE THE ABOVE.

KITTY LITTER THE BACK FOR WEIGHT AND TRACTION.

EXTRA WINDSHIELD FLUID

KEEP PROVISIONS IN YOUR CAR; EXTRA CLOTHES, HIKING BOOTS, FIRST AID KIT, BLANKET, FOOD/WATER. If you don't use it, someone else will such as a stranded car.

A lot of time, I will turn off the radio or turn it down to focus on driving and listen to my car.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCsweet<3 View Post
I call BS. There is no "Eastern half".

Honestly, if/when it snows there is enough around the campus that you probably won't need to drive.

Typical Wetsider attitude. So completely full of yourselves..

True on the latter part though - there is more on UW's campus alone than there is in well...VandalSquirrel's entire town of Moscow. .

Last edited by AXOmom; 04-24-2012 at 12:45 AM.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAckbOwlsgIrl View Post
I have only driven in the rain in Seattle.

However, I have driven in blizzards on mountain passes where the road could not be seen. I ski. It is a part of life. It sucks at times.

BOTTOM LINES;

YOU ARE IN NO HURRY TO GET IN AN ACCIDENT. DRIVE SLOW.

LEAVE PLENTY OF SPACE BETWEEN YOU AND THE NEXT CAR.

SUVs and 4 WHEEL DRIVE ARE WONDERFUL BUT BY NO MEANS OVER RIDE THE ABOVE.

KITTY LITTER THE BACK FOR WEIGHT AND TRACTION.

EXTRA WINDSHIELD FLUID

KEEP PROVISIONS IN YOUR CAR; EXTRA CLOTHES, HIKING BOOTS, FIRST AID KIT, BLANKET, FOOD/WATER. If you don't use it, someone else will such as a stranded car.

A lot of time, I will turn off the radio or turn it down to focus on driving and listen to my car.

This is excellent advice (grew up in Colorado, so I know that weather well too), but lest we scare tngirl001 into never crossing the Tennessee border before she's even boarded the plane for SeaTac - let me just say - she is going to be smack dab in the middle of a large metropolitan city, so unless she plans on taking her car up into the Cascades on a hiking trip (which granted she may decide to do at some point), the provisions are not going to be necessary to get around Seattle on a typical December day. ...the only thing she's really in danger of is getting stuck in traffic for a year and a half. Actually now that I think about it those provisions might be a good idea. She may need them to survive until she makes it to the next exit. Should have thought of that the last time I was in Seattle. Would have prevented a family meltdown or two. .

Tngirl001 - By the way, I just read an article that listed Seattle and Portland as the top two cities Americans view most favorably. Tried to link it but the link is too long and I can't find a shortcut.

Last edited by AXOmom; 04-24-2012 at 01:10 AM.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:13 AM

I've never driven in the PNW, but as far as driving in any bad weather, WORD about the SUVs. We (the Northeast we) see way too many people driving them who can't handle them and think they're fine in snow because their vehicle is bigger. Get a car you can handle and put the right tires on it.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Right now I have a Nissan Juke, which I can handle pretty well. I've driven it since I got my license. My dad has offered to trade cars with me since he has a smaller car, but I think I'll be fine. This winter when I visited my family in New York, I had no trouble with drving through the snow (knock on wood) in my own car. Thank you all for your advice! I definitely feel more prepared!
Old 04-24-2012, 08:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Right now I have a Nissan Juke, which I can handle pretty well. I've driven it since I got my license. My dad has offered to trade cars with me since he has a smaller car, but I think I'll be fine. This winter when I visited my family in New York, I had no trouble with drving through the snow (knock on wood) in my own car. Thank you all for your advice! I definitely feel more prepared!
You may get plowed in if you're parked on the street, so get a collapsible snow shovel to help dig yourself out. In regards to the kitty litter, get the non-clumping kind and it can be safely used for traction and weight in the back of your vehicle. Many places, like Les Schwab, will sell tire cables and if you don't use them you can return them. However, having them isn't a bad thing and I suggest that you do a practice run for putting them on if you ever actually need them installed. I put a pair of gardening gloves with rubber palms in my cables box to protect my hands and make it easier when I put them on.

You may want to ask the Seattle Nissan service people when you get your oil changed after your parents drive your car from TN, is about the oil grade. Often when living in colder places many vehicles use 5W-30 instead of 10W-30, so you'd want to get the right oil to top off the oil when you check it between changes. Also consider changing your wiper fluid to the kind that handles below freezing temps, and look into gas line antifreeze, like Heet, since you won't be driving your car a lot.

Lastly, look into a AAA WA membership if you don't have a TN one. The roadside service is worth it, and you can get all kinds of discounts. I personally have the Premier one with 200 miles of towing since I live in the middle of nowhere, but you would probably be fine with the Classic. I upgraded from the Plus and Plus was well worth it for years. http://www.aaawa.com/membership/