GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,466
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Angelow
» Online Users: 2,308
1 members and 2,307 guests
zalusyandexto90

Old 10-12-2006, 02:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Fraternity Recruitment

I work in Greek Life at Bradley University in Peoria, IL and we are looking at restructuring our Fraternity Recruitment procedures. I was hoping I could ask members of the community for advice about what works well with their Fraternity recruitment. I look forward to the responses!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-12-2006, 02:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Go BU! I miss Peoria (my hometown). Just had to throw that in.

Sorry, I can't help you with Recruitment though.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:06 PM

What style of recruitment have you had? Informal, formal, structured, or semi-formal? Tell us what hasn't been working or what exactly you would like to change. That would help on what kind of advise to give.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 10-12-2006, 03:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelley1102 View Post
I work in Greek Life at Bradley University in Peoria, IL and we are looking at restructuring our Fraternity Recruitment procedures. I was hoping I could ask members of the community for advice about what works well with their Fraternity recruitment. I look forward to the responses!

Agree with LaneSig, we need much more info to advise you as many GLOs and Schools are represented on GC.

We used to have a formal recutment but now is pretty much open.

As I said, it was formal then then open after that. Formal was done only in the Fall Semester and now there is very little recruitment done in the Spring Semester. I keep trying to impress my chapter to not drop the ball and keep recruiting.

Let us know and maybe others will have more ideas.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 04-08-2007, 01:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Here's my question-and I hope it belongs in this thread-if not, then I apologize. I'm in an NPC sorority. I absolutely love it and am ready to graduate. My boyfriend, who is active navy, will be getting out of the Navy this june. He will be 25 this summer. By the time he is ready to finish at a major university (he is currently taking online courses at a major BIG TEN university and he may transfer elsewhere after he receives his Associate's from this place), he will be about 26 and engaged (he has the ring-trust me I know)...I've been telling him how great greek life is and he has helped my sorority do various philanthropy projects (he gets along w/ the girls great) and he loves it. We have talked about him joining a national fraternity (IFC) because it's a great way to make connections since he wants to go to Medical School...and he can stay active and really enjoy the college life!!! My question is this: At the age of about 26 (and engaged), would a fraternity even consider him or are there rules against a guy who is engaged? I realize that the age may not be a big deal but, if we get engaged soon and married by next summer (that is our plan), will he be turned away? I really want to know what fraternities-IF ANY, would consider him because we are both really excited about this and I LOVE GREEK LIFE!!! Please, any fraternity member giving advice would be GREAT because he is an intelligent guy who has been to IRAQ TWICE as a Medic (so, it's an issue of military and age)....Thanx everyone-any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!
Old 04-08-2007, 02:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by als463 View Post
Here's my question-and I hope it belongs in this thread-if not, then I apologize. I'm in an NPC sorority. I absolutely love it and am ready to graduate. My boyfriend, who is active navy, will be getting out of the Navy this june. He will be 25 this summer. By the time he is ready to finish at a major university (he is currently taking online courses at a major BIG TEN university and he may transfer elsewhere after he receives his Associate's from this place), he will be about 26 and engaged (he has the ring-trust me I know)...I've been telling him how great greek life is and he has helped my sorority do various philanthropy projects (he gets along w/ the girls great) and he loves it. We have talked about him joining a national fraternity (IFC) because it's a great way to make connections since he wants to go to Medical School...and he can stay active and really enjoy the college life!!! My question is this: At the age of about 26 (and engaged), would a fraternity even consider him or are there rules against a guy who is engaged? I realize that the age may not be a big deal but, if we get engaged soon and married by next summer (that is our plan), will he be turned away? I really want to know what fraternities-IF ANY, would consider him because we are both really excited about this and I LOVE GREEK LIFE!!! Please, any fraternity member giving advice would be GREAT because he is an intelligent guy who has been to IRAQ TWICE as a Medic (so, it's an issue of military and age)....Thanx everyone-any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!
http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...06#post1426006
Old 04-11-2007, 01:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via MSN to tauforlife1987
Phasing out Formal?

So our greek advisor is telling us that most major campuses are phasing out formal rush and that it is becoming the dinosaur of modern recruitment. I don't have the opprotunity to go to other schools and check this out. But We have a new really weird fall rush, and I think it is the most rediculous thing. I mean if someone can explain to what is so crazy about formal rush then i might change my mind. But everyone just tells me its better to phase it out with no reasons. But anyway can someone give me some feedback.

ATO
"To know Man as Man"
Old 04-11-2007, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator

can you describe what your new rush will be like?
Old 04-11-2007, 09:55 AM

Some campuses are going to different, more relaxed recruitment styles, but that is NPC sororities...it has nothing to do with fraternities.

The GA is probably trying to tell you to recruit year-round instead of having one defined rush period in the fall (and possibly another in the spring). It can be helpful, but if you have to fill a house you have to fill a house.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tauforlife1987 View Post
So our greek advisor is telling us that most major campuses are phasing out formal rush and that it is becoming the dinosaur of modern recruitment. I don't have the opprotunity to go to other schools and check this out. But We have a new really weird fall rush, and I think it is the most rediculous thing. I mean if someone can explain to what is so crazy about formal rush then i might change my mind. But everyone just tells me its better to phase it out with no reasons. But anyway can someone give me some feedback.

ATO
"To know Man as Man"
From the location, I assume you are at Arkansas State. Can you explain the 'really weird' fall rush?

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 04-11-2007, 03:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
can you describe what your new rush will be like?
And what formal rush was like in the past.
Old 04-14-2007, 03:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I just wonder since formal recruitment is being placed by the way side how is this easier recruitment being of use and also how it is benefiting Greeks?

Coming from a smaller school back then it was easier, but the much larger schools would have a problem unless it was done over a period of time!

Leaving recruitment as an open one, it is then a matter of each GLO to get off of rears and get it done!

This also would include I would think defered recruitment in the Spring as opposed to the Fall for new Freshman.

It seems that manytimes the Colleges are trying to find a way to make it harder to recruit?

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 04-15-2007, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSteven View Post
And what formal rush was like in the past.
If it is Arkansas State: For the majority of GLO history on campus, rush/recruitment was informal. Several years ago, they did switch to a semi-formal where rushees were required to visit all houses for a day or two and could then just go to houses they were interested in.

And, before anyone wonders why I am thinking this is Arkansas State, the poster lists his location as 'State, Arkansas'. The campus at Jonesboro has its own post office and is listed as 'State University, Arkansas' in mailing. The only active chapter of Alpha Tau Omega in Arkansas is at ASU.

Old 04-16-2007, 07:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via MSN to tauforlife1987
WOW!

Yes you are right I am from Arkansas State. I am impressed how you know sooo much about our campus. Anyway, the weird rush has been refined to where it isn't as weird anymore.

it started out less structured but we changed our vote to where there is still restrictions. So its basically the same. Just a few additions.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tauforlife1987 View Post
Yes you are right I am from Arkansas State. I am impressed how you know sooo much about our campus. Anyway, the weird rush has been refined to where it isn't as weird anymore.

it started out less structured but we changed our vote to where there is still restrictions. So its basically the same. Just a few additions.
I graduated from ASU. I was there this past weekend for the anniversary of Sigma Chi's installation. Even though I live in Dallas, I stay in touch with the chapter through both advisors and the chapter president.