GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 1,551
2 members and 1,549 guests
Xidelt

Old 12-25-2004, 04:33 PM
GreekChat Member

"Does Cosby Help?"

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6732651/site/newsweek/
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-25-2004, 06:39 PM

Nothing there.
Old 12-25-2004, 09:59 PM
GreekChat Member

By Ellis Cose
Newsweek

Dec. 27 / Jan. 3 issue - You would think the story would have died by now. What's the big deal, after all, about Bill Cosby's blasting a bunch of poor kids and their parents? While the initial salvo was fired months ago, the aftershocks are still being felt. Columnists continue to harp on Cosby's statements, and the comedian has gone on a crusade, sermonizing across the land—and being received like a revered Biblical prophet.

"It is not all right for your 15-year-old daughter to have a child," he told 2,400 fans in a high school in Milwaukee. He lambasted young men in Baltimore for knocking up "five, six girls." He tongue-lashed single mothers in Atlanta for having sex within their children's hearing "and then four days later, you bring another man into the house." "The audience gasped," reported The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

People have been gasping since May, when Cosby blasted "lower-economic people" for "not holding up their end," for buying kids $500 sneakers instead of "Hooked on Phonics." His words (and tone) set off a raging discussion over whether Cosby's comments make sense and whether they can do any good—over whether the problem resides in the poor people he criticized, or in forces largely beyond their control. No group has a larger stake in that debate than the poor urbanites Cosby presumably is trying to save. Yet they don't exactly seem to be rushing to Cosby's church.

Kenny, 17, a onetime stick-up man, puts it plainly. "Cosby is ... talking about me holding up my end of the bargain. Listen ... I robbed 'cause I was hungry. If he's going to put food on my table, if he's going to give me time to pursue education vigorously, then fine. But if he's not, then I'm going to hold up my end of the bargain and make sure I get something to eat."

Kenny was one of several young offenders called together, at NEWSWEEK's request, by the Fortune Society, a nonprofit that works with at-risk youths and ex-cons. None saw salvation at the end of Cosby's crusade.

April, a 16-year-old Latina from the Bronx, scoffed at the notion that poor mothers were buying $500 shoes. The only people she knew with such pricey sneakers were those "on the block pitching [dealing drugs]." "Times are different" than in Cosby's heyday, said Sonia, 20. "Back then even if [men] worked at a factory they'd get up every day and go to a job in a suit. Nowadays ... most black males don't have good enough jobs."

But even the most hardened delinquents don't dispute that there is some truth in Cosby's message. When young black males (15-24) are murdered at 15 times the rate of young white males, something is seriously wrong. Cosby, to his credit, has said no to complacency.

In "Code of the Street," sociologist Elijah Anderson wrote eloquently of the war in inner cities between "decent" values and "street" values. That is the war into which Cosby has leapt mouth first—and into which Ameer Tate was born. "I grew up in a bad neighborhood ... and I always had to fight... My grandmother was on crack ... Both my uncles were pimps. My father was never here ... [I remember] being beat up as an 11-year-old by this 36-year-old fresh out of prison just because he wanted to put his hands on my mom," recalled Tate, an 18-year-old San Franciscan.

Telling people born into such circumstances to shape up is not much of a plan. Combating "a history of inequality and disadvantage" requires "systematic solutions," argues Stephanie Bell-Rose, president of the Goldman Sachs Foundation, which funds programs targeting achievers in poor communities. She believes Cosby has an obligation to be "more thoughtful."

Many of the kids Cosby criticizes are totally cut off from the larger society. Or they see it as a kind of distant fairyland filled with goodies they can never have unless they take them. "One of the prevailing sentiments of youths is that 'I see no future for myself—so I have to get what I want now'," concluded the marketing-research firm Motivational Educational Entertainment in a study looking at urban poor youths.

advertisement
In a world where no-talent nobodies quickly become somebodies on TV, it's not surprising some folks conclude that school is a joke. "Kids watch MTV reality shows ... [where] a normal person is elevated to fame ... The prerequisites of those jobs are not academic," observed Tajai Massey, a rap artist who lives in the Oakland, Calif., area and works as a substitute public-school teacher in his spare time.

The problem is compounded by inadequate parenting. More fathers are incarcerated than at any previous time in American history. And many not in prison are unavailable to their kids. In four decades the percentage of children raised in single-parent households has more than quadrupled. Among the group of young offenders called together by Fortune, not one had been raised in a household with a father.

Cosby is fed up with "knuckleheads" who don't speak proper English. But the issue is not just language; it is also, fundamentally, one of identity—and therefore race.

Teenagers today belong to America's first transracial generation, a generation that wears race as lightly as a summer jacket. Radio personality Tom Joyner recalled, with wonder, attending a concert where an interracial audience enthusiastically recited rap lyrics: "Blacks, whites, Jews and Gentiles get together at a Jay-Z concert and say 'nigger this, nigger that'." But even though racial boundaries have blurred, racial preconceptions remain—as Lucas Hardeman has learned.

Hardeman, 16, participates in a Los Angeles-based college-preparatory weekend program started by the 100 Black Men organization. Early on, his parents filled his head with thoughts of scholarly achievement. And that has led some to question his racial bona fides. On one occasion, "I was jumped after school for answering too many questions," recalled Hardeman. His dad gave him some hip-hop clothes to help him fit in. "That made it worse," he said. "People hated me." Even his music—the likes of Britney Spears, 'N Sync and the Backstreet Boys—got him into trouble. Bullies shattered one of his CDs at a school function, and one told him, "Dude, you're whiter than they are."

Hardeman's conundrum is one of the supreme ironies of his generation. It is easier than ever for people of different races to be accepted as brothers and sisters. Yet stereotyping is rampant.

Mileidi Jimenez, a 16-year-old New Yorker of Dominican heritage, regularly gets accused—even by white students—of acting "white." Ida-Rochelle Holloway, a black 17-year-old Harlemite, is similarly criticized for not acting "black." If avoiding unsavory activities is "'white,' then, oh well," said Holloway, who, like Jimenez, participates in I-LEAD, a college-prep program for inner-city Catholic-school kids.

William Hambrick, a 17-year-old black San Franciscan, recalls having to battle his way into advanced-placement courses. "Even my counselor didn't want me taking them. It was like ... 'Don't you want to play sports?' "

"Your African identity has to be defined by ignorance," observed Edad Mercier, a junior at the Dalton School in New York City. "Caucasians don't have that pressure," she added.

Somewhere along the line street culture became confused with black culture, which became confused with black (and, to some extent, Latino) identity, which created a set of expectations that dooms many young people to mediocrity, that makes them, in short, become the "knuckleheads" who get Cosby so riled up.

The ubiquity of such narrow expectations explains why so many kids don't look past basketball or rap. For the images nurtured in the 'hood are reinforced at school and in popular culture—by young people trying to "keep it real," without pondering what form of reality they are embracing.

"Children don't get out of that by themselves. They have to have somebody," insists Spencer Holland, a psychologist and founder of Project 2000, an after-school program in Washington, D.C.

Ameer Tate found his somebody at the Omega Boys Club—an organization started and run by Joseph Marshall, Ph.D. "Until I saw Dr. Marshall I never saw a truly positive role model outside of the movies," said Tate, who proudly rattled off some recent accomplishments: "I'm in City College, I just got an A on my psychology test, an A on my African-American-history test. I'm on track, I'm going to try out for football in January ... I box. I'm an actor." Kenny, the erstwhile stick-up man, will soon be entering college—thanks in part to Fortune's guidance.

In many respects, those young men are exceptions. But there is no reason why they have to be. Most people of Tate's age and station don't exactly aspire to be knuckleheads. So many kids on the block would like nothing better than to fulfill Cosby's middle-class fantasies, but they also don't want to be seen as suckers itching to abandon childhood friends and ways for dreams that can never come true.

At some point Cosby's crusade either reaches the level of the street, of people like Kenny and Tate, or it will come to be seen as little more than sound and fury signifying nothing more than the power of an outspoken celebrity to get people talking.

What should Cosby do? He might try shoring up the work of those who have shown they can make a difference in the lives of inner-city youths. Marshall and Holland are splendid examples; but in any large city, there are heroes dedicated to helping young people make wise choices—one crisis at a time. Those who do such work are always chronically underfunded and tragically underrecognized. For Cosby to publicly join forces with them would surely help their cause—and his.

The comedian already has indicated that he would like this crusade to become something more than a one-man roadshow. He has aligned himself with Ras Baraka, the deputy mayor of Newark, N.J., to launch something called "Hip Hop for the PEOPLE" (Providing Education Opportunity, Prosperity and Life Eternally)—an entity that will urge rappers to focus on subjects other than sex and bling.

It's wonderful Cosby has involved himself in a war that has consumed so many young lives. But this war's most meaningful battles will not be fought from floodlit stages. They will be fought in inner-city streets, and in schools and clubs, where souls are saved one at a time, and where the applause of a star-struck crowd is rarely to be found.
Old 12-26-2004, 12:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Ellis Cose has a pretty good book out called "Rage of a Privileged Class: The Trials of Middle-Class African-Americans," or something of the sort. The article seemed to be a lot of what he discusses in that book tailored to respond to the Cosby controversy.
Old 12-26-2004, 10:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by carol9a
I can relate to two of those teens in that story. Most of my life, I have been in "gifted and talented" classes. In my jr. high GT class, I was one of only two hispanic kids in there. Since the majority of my classmates were white, I made mostly white friends and starting listening to punk rock and alternative. They witnessed to me, and I also started attending a southern baptist church. Unfortunately, the hispanic kids at this school would harass me constantly, calling me "white-washed" and "graham cracker" and made fun of me because I went out with white guys. Although all this really hurt me, I really didnt care. I was better than these people who would brag about skipping class, or having access to condoms at 13, or brag about getting a 13 on their math test. The only thing I hated was that when I got recognized for top ten twice or when I was recognized in UIL, they suddenly wanted to "claim" me and tell everyone that the hispanics are "reppin". Give me a break.
Although I still didnt really fit in with some hispanic people in high school, I made friends with some but I connected more to the people in my newspaper class. It wasnt until I joined an internship program called inroads that I met some hispanic people who were as dorky as me.

Although I understand Cosby's anger (because its the same anger I've shared many times in my life), the whole last paragraph of this article is absolutely true. He can express his anger all he wants, but it IS a matter of cultural re-adjustment. Not to mention, he can rant and rave all he wants, but what is he gonna do about it?

ETA: I am also pleasantly surprised to see a mention of a dominican person, sharin' my pain! lol, yay DR!!
I understand that what happened to you hurt and made you angry, the same things happend to me growing up. However, I think instead of criticising those kids, we need to look at the things they were saying to you (and I) and think about why they feel those ways. There is a lot of inner turmoil that people of ethnic minority groups struggle with, especially in countries with histories like the U.S. In this modern social trend of sweeping things under the rug and denouncing, scoffing at, etc. any mention of the word race or racism, there is a reluctance to deal with that. I agree with Cosby, as I said before, but I also feel that there is so much more to these issues and just putting generic labels on people or throwing out criticisms like he did isn't really going to solve anything. I don't think there is enough fire behind the majority of the people in this country, government included, to really make some fundamental social and cultural changes that would bring about significant changes in communities this article talks about. Until then, there will continue to be empty talk and criticisms.
Old 12-28-2004, 08:10 PM
GreekChat Member

In Atlanta

Cosby made a well-publicized appearance and speech in Atlanta in Nov., got quite a bit of newspaper coverage, and in Dec. the PBS station played a tape of his speech.

Usually, included in the publicity, was "the people he was speaking to and about weren't in the audience."
Old 12-29-2004, 09:20 AM
GreekChat Member

I just read this article earlier today on MSN.

While I agree that Cosby is bringing up issues to address, I agree more with the others quoted in the article and the last paragraph.

This reminds me of so many times I have gone to hear someone speak on various subjects, then I think "oh this is so true, or so great", but then when I get back to my everyday life and realities it is not so easy to apply. He has these ideas of the way things should be, but not of ways of going about changing them. Its going to take a lot more than just someone talking about the issues, its those individuals out there actually doing something.