GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 924
2 members and 922 guests
g41965, Sarak24034

Old 11-13-2000, 03:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Question I Week/ Hell Week?

I am currently an "associate member" (they call us that, because allegedly, we have all the rights of actives except for stuff regarding the ritual, but YEAH RIGHT) of Lambda Chi Alpha. I was told when I rushed that hazing was not a part of the fraternity, and so far that has more or less held true. What I am concerned about is I-Week/ Hell Week. Can any members of Lambda Chi Alpha, or any other organization for that, tell me exactly what goes on. Be honest please, it is a concern of mine, as I feel people who are supposed to not only be your friends, but your "brothers" should not engage in severly demeaning/potentially damaging behavior. I am afraid this may be the case. Please give me any stories you may have.
Old 11-13-2000, 03:26 AM
GreekChat Member

do you by chance go to Illinois State University? just curious.. i have many greek friends there... you might want to bring up your concerns with one of your brothers... hazing stories mor ethan likely will not be discussed on the board.. its not something the greek community supports...
Old 11-13-2000, 03:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey, it varies from chapter to chapter, but I was not hazed in the least amount! I have always been treated as a brother, except when it came to ritual, obviously. In fact, as an AM, I could get away with a lot more. I didn't have to help clean up after parties, and my big brother did a lot for me. During our I Week, we just did a lot of activities together, bowling, church, and lots of other fun activities. It was definitely NOT a hell week. Hope this helps. btw, if you are at Indiana State, I'm at Rose. email me

------------------
Steve Corbin
Lambda Chi Alpha
Theta Kappa Chapter
Rose-Hulman Inst. of Tech.
Old 11-14-2000, 04:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Yes I do go to Illinois State - I mention this with a bit of trepadation. Here we apparently have life a bit harder as AMs than you at Rose. We are the ONLY ones who clean up after parties. We also have to clean the house twice weekly. What I know of I-Week so far is that we have to be at the house all week from 6PM to 6AM. We are not allowed to smoke (not a problem for me) or eat (potentially a problem) during this time we are at the house. I suspect there will be a few things rougher than that too. I just am hoping that they don't do anything that will make me want to quit, after I have gone through a semester of cleaning, not to mention the stuff we have to learn, and of course the dues I paid.....
Old 11-14-2000, 02:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by LXA ISU:
We are the ONLY ones who clean up after parties. We also have to clean the house twice weekly. What I know of I-Week so far is that we have to be at the house all week from 6PM to 6AM. We are not allowed to smoke (not a problem for me) or eat (potentially a problem) during this time we are at the house. I suspect there will be a few things rougher than that too. I just am hoping that they don't do anything that will make me want to quit, after I have gone through a semester of cleaning, not to mention the stuff we have to learn, and of course the dues I paid.....
Man, I am a Chopper Alumni down here in texas and let me give you some advice.

first, as was said earlier, each chapter does it's own pre-rit thing. Some chapters have dinners, watch movies, others go on hikes. My chapter does a lot of events geared towards reflection. We primarily ask our AM's a lot of questions to get them thinking and reflecting on what they have learned as AM's. it's usually stuff like questions that don't really have an answer, stuff like that. i.e., "If you could have given more of yourself to the fraternity, what would you have done differently?"

I can't speak for what goes on in all chapters, nor can I prognisticate what you're in for. nationally, LXA has guidelines for what should be done that week. these asre located in your High Kappa's manual. If you are an older more established chapter, you then usually find a lot of historical traditions that are pretty important to the members. So you might go through some rough patches personally, I don't know.. but I will give you the secret to pre-rit survival my big brother gave me and it totally worked. email me at ealifesaver@hotmail.com. It should make you feel a bit better.

I would be worried if you werent a bit nervous. It simply means this LXA experience is important to you.

Also, the best reason to stick things out is that after you get in, YOU can change what you dont like from the inside! I did at my new chapter. Email me and we'll talk.

Old 11-14-2000, 10:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LXAAlum
ISU...
I understand your concerns. But, if your chapter is a true LXA chapter, remember what you were told in the AM ceremony by the High Kappa - "You will be asked to do nothing a true man should not or would not do."

If you experience anything other than activities to build the bond and elevate the ideals of LXA before the Ritual, email me.

Email me anyways, come to think of it.

sharmer@juno.com

Keep your eyes and ears open. The Ritual is not to be taken lightly, nor are the pre-initiation events suppose to eclipse what you will see in Ritual.

I wish you well.

Soon to be yours in Z.A.X.,

------------------
Don't be your brother's keeper; rather, be your brother's Brother.
Old 11-14-2000, 11:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SilverTurtle
Thumbs up

Hey! I'm (obviously) not a member of LXA. But I just wanted to commend all of the guys who posted on here regarding what *should* happen during your "I-Week". All greeks should have that attitude regarding their new/associate members (or pledges) and towards their ritual! You gentlemen represent LXA well!

------------------
SilverTurtle@greekchat.com

Phi Beta Fraternity
Phi chapter
Old 11-15-2000, 12:05 AM
GreekChat Member

LXA ISU, email me, corbinsa@rose-hulman.edu

------------------
Steve Corbin
Lambda Chi Alpha
Theta Kappa Chapter
Rose-Hulman Inst. of Tech.
Old 11-15-2000, 12:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Silver,
Thanks...I truly believe most greek organizations feel the same way. It is the minority that cause the problems, and all the publicity.

Regards
Old 11-20-2000, 12:53 AM
GreekChat Member

All of these replys have been great, yet I feel that they are missing something. Why is everybody so worried about hazing, or what they are going to do to you? You have spent this entire semester with men whom your supposed to have grown to respect and trust. Maybe you are missing that respect, prohibiting you to trust them.
Old 12-04-2000, 03:47 PM
GreekChat Member

In reading this, I think back when some of the Fraternies Haze. By hazing, I mean physical abuse. When I started my local that became LXA, I did not put up with any hazing. As far as cleaning up after parties or the common areas of the house I feel there is nothing wrong with that. Some of the things thqt we did shuld be done now: making study hours, learning the history of the chapter and International. They should have their own officers and plan functions or how else do they learn. It is sad when I contact alums that I may not have met and they say who. Sure it hurts my feelings as when I was iniatiated I became a LX for every and at 58, I am a LXA and will always be a LXA. As I see our chapters closed down for hazing I am sorely disapointed in my fellow Brothers for being stupid and on ego trips. There will always be someone who wantsw to lord over others and I am in hopes that my other Brothers will put a stop to it. International will not put up with nonsense as can be seen by closing down Co. St. U. for dumbness. While not all may have been involved, they all suffer and as do all of the other chapters for losing them.

------------------
Tom Earp LX Z#1
Pittsburg State U. (Kansas)
Old 01-07-2001, 11:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Earp,
Re: CSU, you pegged it right on the head. 84 years of tradition, gone due to one or two misguided/misinformed brothers. I'm still in shock over it.
Old 01-17-2001, 04:57 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
Wait, who defines what a "true man" is?? We HAD Lambda Chi at our campus, but they got the big old boot. Then they became AXL, and now they're Acacia! Odd stuff.

I understand your concerns. But, if your chapter is a true LXA chapter, remember what you were told in the AM ceremony by the High Kappa - "You will be asked to do nothing a true man should not or would not do."