GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 2,180
0 members and 2,180 guests
No Members online

Old 03-14-2014, 08:38 PM
GreekChat Member

ComradesTrue,

UVa is a Southern public ivy. : )
But that's a moot point for this discussion.

Another thought, but first a question. How do the Ole Miss sororities view sophomore transfers from smaller schools that do not have Greek Life or instead have locals or only 1-2 chapters (for example, Agnes Scott or Hollins or Stephens)? Some of these schools will also present academic entry barriers, but there may be schools with limited Greek life that may be accessible to her.

Last edited by pinksequins; 03-14-2014 at 09:03 PM. Reason: another musing
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-14-2014, 09:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradesTrue View Post
Deferred rush is an excellent idea, but I am struggling to think of a Southern school that she could attend with that GPA. She can't even sniff SMU. Their freshman class will be 3.5s and above and
I am also confused about how these low GPA students are even getting into a flagship school.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinksequins View Post
Sequins here needs some help understanding the scenario. If she is a current HS senior, isn't there a chance that she can pull up her GPA this semester before graduating? It's not over yet.
There is no way for a single semester to bring up 3 1/2 yrs of mediocre GPA. Just too late
Old 03-14-2014, 11:40 PM
GreekChat Member

True, true. Just wondering if it was possible to squeeze it to a 2.9.

No matter the creativity of our musings, it really boils down to attending Ole Miss and really working at becoming a solid student. She might step up her game and blossom, or she may find college even more challenging (in which event sorority engagement really is too much).
Old 03-15-2014, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator

Ole Miss ladies, in the low gpa scenario that has been discussed, would the young woman fair better by not rushing as a freshman, concentrating on her grades, protecting her reputation, and getting involved on campus (especially in clubs or activities that sorority women might also be members of), so that she meets grade requirements and has established friendships with sorority women, which sets her up for sophomore rush,

or,

would it be better to rush fall 2014 with her low gpa and hope that some chapter will be willing to take on a grade risk?
Old 03-15-2014, 11:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
Ole Miss ladies, in the low gpa scenario that has been discussed, would the young woman fair better by not rushing as a freshman, concentrating on her grades, protecting her reputation, and getting involved on campus (especially in clubs or activities that sorority women might also be members of), so that she meets grade requirements and has established friendships with sorority women, which sets her up for sophomore rush,

or,

would it be better to rush fall 2014 with her low gpa and hope that some chapter will be willing to take on a grade risk?
I am afraid that I don't see either of those scenarios leading to a bid. Not impossible, but not good choices. I guess if I had to pick one, it would be sophomore rush with good grades.
Old 03-15-2014, 12:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post

or,

I have to both agree and disagree with thealady- I agree that I don't see either scenario leading to a bid- like she said, not impossible, but very very hard. But if I had to pick one, I would say rush 2014 with low GPA and hope for someone to take her. I fear with Alpha Phi coming in 2015 her choices as a sophomore would be EXTREMELY limited. I would imagine (don't know and don't quote or hold me to it, but just assume) that much like this year when ADPi came on, they will halt upperclassman quota-- thus unless she has a "near perfect" freshman year- making the right connections, getting a kick-a$$ GPA, keeping her rep. clean, etc.. etc... her choices in 2015 will be extremely limited, however, colony might be the best option for her if she has interest....
Old 03-15-2014, 12:04 PM
GreekChat Member

oops meant THETAlady-- (not thealady) so much for fast typing and not proofing :-)
Old 03-15-2014, 02:04 PM
GreekChat Member

I know every situation & girl is different but for what it's worth, here's my somewhat personal story, my DD is a soph. at Ole Miss. Her roommate went to a college prep school OOS and was a grade risk (with a 2.8). She knew that it would be tough but decided to go through anyway last year. She was released by all but 1 after the first round. She found out later, the sorority who invited her to skit had invited several of the grade risks that they were interested in so more girls would have another chance to meet them but they were only taking 1 or 2 of those! She didn't make the cut. Fast forward to sophomore year - she didn't make much better grades or get involved in other activities but tried again with even less success. However, she was successful in her interview and recruitment and was thrilled to be an upper classman to help start A D Pi. I don't know how many upper classmen they took or how many grade risks but they did colonize a large chapter.
Old 03-15-2014, 02:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Since neither option (going through recruitment this year or waiting to go through as a sophomore) is that viable, is the Alpha Phi colony her best choice? She has time to get her grades up since it isn't until next year, though I'd hate to put all her eggs in one basket.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 03-15-2014, 02:35 PM
GreekChat Member

If she has gotten accepted into the school with her current grades, I'd probably go through in the fall and make the best of it, fully understanding what will probably happen. Then when it does, go about getting/keeping outstanding grades along with a full social life. If she has the grades as a sophomore and has made friends with sorority women along the way, she could have an unexpectedly successful sophomore experience. If she doesn't have outstanding grades at the end of her freshman year, then sorority involvement at a school like this probably isn't in the cards for her.

But she might as well give it a shot.
Old 03-15-2014, 03:34 PM
GreekChat Member

She could try it this year...if it doesn't work out and she manages to get good grades, she might be appealing the next fall during the colonization -- she won't have the "we already cut you last year" baggage with Alpha Phi.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Due to the limited desire for grade risk PNMs, it's important that the PNM keep an open mind or she risks not being Greek at all, whether as a Freshman or as a Sophomore. Some Ole Miss Chapters do not consider Sophomores at all.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:46 PM
GreekChat Member

And since the season for sending out recruitment packets is here, I thought I would add more detailed information on that subject.

The importance of Letters of Reference, Recommendations, et cetera, is twofold: 1) to check a box that the PNM has one; and 2) to let the chapter know about the PNM. The amount of PNM support a rec/ref provides is dependent on the quality of the rec/ref itself, and therefore dependent on the writer and the PNM. If it's bland or pro forma it will just fulfill that box check requirement.

The crux of the matter comes when the PNM seems attractive to the chapter and the chapter now wants to know more about her. If she is already known to the chapter then the pro forma rec/ref is fine. If she is not well known, or perhaps unknown, then a informational ref/rec is needed. The unknown/less well known PNM needs the additional boost to go beyond the chapters mere interest. Chapters use all information received to study the PNM, they use that information in recruitment to connect with her, and if she is a rush crush to promote her within the chapter.

It is old school to look at the number of ref/recs or letters of support when evaluating an PNM. I cannot speak to how old school any of the chapters here at Ole Miss are as that is clearly a membership selection area. Since recruitment gifts of food and flowers in support of a PNM are no longer permitted, the extra letters and rec/refs may now seem the only avenue available. I cannot know how additional letters and rec/refs would be received at the various chapters at Ole Miss, but I think that I would make certain that there was quality over quantity in any rec/ref, resume', or materials sent in on one of my daughters.

Depending on the NPC Chapter, there are legacy introduction forms that Alumnae fill out for their legacies, and yes, it is appropriate for a relative to submit those forms. It's the only way the legacy chapter has of knowing that you have a special relationship to them. Mother-daughter and Sister-Sister seem to be universally accepted as legacy relationships. Grandmother-Granddaughter and Aunt-Niece may be accepted as legacy relationship by some chapters. Your relative needs to investigate with her headquarters if your relationship requires a legacy introduction form or perhaps it might instead require a letter of recommendation/reference.

By the way, if it should happen that your legacy relative has passed away, it may be possible for another member of that NPC chapter to submit the legacy introduction form on the deceased members behalf.

Each NPC Chapter has it's own rules, and those are subject to change from time to time, according to the constitution and bylaws set forth by each organization. The alumna member vouching for the PNM has the responsibility to be sure that they are familiar with the current rules and policies on legacies and letters of recommendation/reference.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:56 PM
GreekChat Member

I understand it (left hemisphere of brain), but it just boggles my right hemisphere that some ginormous Ole Miss new member classes. Consist. Only. Of. Freshmen.