GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 1,729
0 members and 1,729 guests
No Members online

Old 02-03-2012, 03:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Marshall Tri-Sigma Lawsuit

Bad day for Marshall greeks...another article about a different incident

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/news/...local-sorority

"HUNTINGTON -- A Virginia woman has filed a lengthy lawsuit against the sorority Sigma Sigma Sigma, including six of its members at Marshall University, its alumnae organization, its local chapter and its national organization.

The student, Sarah F. Lyon of Clifton, Va., filed her lawsuit last month in Cabell Circuit Court. It alleges she suffered physical injuries and emotional distress, along with fear, humiliation and embarrassment from repeated hazing and harassment during her stint with the Tri-Sigma chapter at Marshall University.

The lawsuit states Lyons was subjected to such treatment, after she brought forth accusations that Tri-Sigma at Marshall had violated policies concerning alcohol in the house and men staying in the upstairs portion of the sorority house..."

(I didn't see this elsewhere, sorry if I missed it.)
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-03-2012, 03:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I hope the case is thrown out. I don't have much sympathy for people who can't find satisfaction through the traditional means. I mean, I have no clue how the sorority works nationally, but I'd find it hard to believe that THE ENTIRE SYSTEM FAILED HER and she had no other option but to sue.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:01 PM

As an advisor and knowing how the district & national officers of my organization operate, I feel like something is missing here and the entire story is not being told.

Further, if she was so uncomfy about the "sleepover party" that supposedly took place, why did she move in to that house soon after and stay there that long? Sigma Sigma Sigma is a voluntarily organization is it not? She had the right to leave for any reason she wanted to at any time did she not?
Old 02-03-2012, 04:35 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm a little confused. The only charges that were detailed in this article is alcohol and men in the sorority house. That's not enough to make any sort of case, legally. Sorority wise, yes, but nothing criminal, unless the students were underage, and even then it'd be almost impossible to prove months later. I hope this is resolved quickly.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator

Paragraph 2 seems to be the basis for civil damages. If proven, that'll mean something. Dunno what, but something.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 02-03-2012, 06:47 PM
GreekChat Member

OMG...I saw people have boys in the house and drink beer. Oh the horror. It's against teh rulz!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 02-03-2012, 07:10 PM
GreekChat Member

I wonder if I could sue the university and the people responsible for the dormitory after 25 years of emotional distress of laughter because my roomate was having inappropriate activities with a young man since she thought I was asleep.
Well maybe she could file a counter suit, since I left the door open for everyone to see.
All I can say is good grief and I hope this case is thrown out.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:47 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't think the boys and the beer are the issue. It is what happened after she blew the whistle that is at the heart of it. (In my opinion) If the boys and the beer had been handled internally by standards then no one would have been the wiser but word got out who was the squealer and thus we have this..... retribution. The joys of being a chapter advisor/House Corp member.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just interested View Post
I don't think the boys and the beer are the issue. It is what happened after she blew the whistle that is at the heart of it. (In my opinion) If the boys and the beer had been handled internally by standards then no one would have been the wiser but word got out who was the squealer and thus we have this..... retribution. The joys of being a chapter advisor/House Corp member.
But even if there was retribution, there would be some sort of internal process for the rat to get due process without the courts. If the sorority did NOTHING, sure, she should sue. But I don't think Tri-Sigma would have ignored it.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Took an interest in this story because my husband is a Marshall alum and we just went past this house last fall when we went back for a visit. I think this
http://www.marshallparthenon.com/new...ters-1.2666312 from the student newspaper does a better job of explaining why she is suing. I'm not saying she should (I have no idea and no legal expertise to comment on the validity of her suit), and some of the information sounds like accusations and counter-accusations, but it does give more detail.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Wow. A couple of thoughts after reading AXOmom's link...

1. There are always two sides to every story, so it's hard to know who's to blame for what. However, regardless of how things got to the point they did, it's clear that Lyon would never fit into the chapter after her letter/paper was read to the chapter. I don't know what Sigma's policies are in terms of active members in this unfortunate situation going alum, but it seems like that could've somewhat solved the problem. Still, it's sad that, even if that was the chosen path, Lyon would never get the sorority experience she was looking for in college.

2. I would be so completely humiliated if my mom went to National HQ on my behalf. I'd have enough of a hard time if she made a phone call, but to GO THERE?!? Wow.

I feel bad for everyone involved. The article reads like there was friction between Lyon and several sisters from the get-go. It's sad that it escalated to this point. What a waste of what's supposed to be such a fun and positive experience.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:18 AM

Does Tri-Sigma have a whistleblower policy?
Old 02-04-2012, 01:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Some states do have whistleblower policies, but I do not know if West Virginia does.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:12 PM

My question is, what on earth fraternity or fraternity member would make her a little sister??? She seems way too uptight for that. And OHHH. EMMM. GEEEEEE at mom going to HQ.

How big are these houses? I'm guessing they aren't the sort with cooks and such as the one chapter only has 42 members.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:57 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't want to sound like I'm defending the girl because for all I know she's blowing smoke and this is all a bunch of hoo-haw she made up to get herself out of trouble because she was getting called up for review or whatever its called every 2 months, but if all of her story is true (and I realize that's a big if), then I don't think she's being uptight particularly. I realize its college and college students generally skirt the rules to some degree - but this sounds more like blatant disregard.

We only saw two houses. Husband had friends who were AXO's and he pointed out that house to me, but they are no longer in that house. I don't think they currently have one. He wasn't Greek and didn't know much about it other than that. The two houses we saw (one being Tri-Sigmas) looked like typical sorority houses - not SEC big but not small either.