GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,399
3 members and 2,396 guests
Cookiez17, Sciencewoman

Old 08-25-2009, 07:29 PM
GreekChat Member

My Fall 09 Recruitment Story

Hey everybody! So I've been reading everyone's stories for quite some time now, and have been getting so excited for recruitment. I spent all summer getting rec letters, shopping for those perfect outfits, and all the fun stuff that girls are expected to do in a southern rush environment. I really want to share my story with everyone so here it goes!

To start from the beginning, I graduated high school early so I started my school that I'm going to in Spring 09. But since none of the chapters at my school did recruitment in spring, I would have to wait a WHOLE semester watching the girls who were already in sororities and getting excited for August. I met a few girls and they all seemed really nice, and I absolutely could not wait. Over the summer, a family friend helped me get rec letters so I felt confident in that aspect. As the days passed by, I got more and more excited for that very first convocation.

At my school, there are 14 NPC sororities, but only 13 do formal recruitment. This is what we'll call them:
Colorado
Kansas
Maine
Florida
Michigan
Indiana
Wyoming
Washington
Vermont
Alaska
Louisiana
California
Nebraska
Utah

I'm not sure if this has done before or not, but I thought they were good code names Also, these names were completely randomly assigned, I promise they don't allude to where a chapter was founded or anything!

Alright, so in my semester that I had already been at XYZ University, I had completely fallen in love with Florida and Colorado. They were my top two picks, but I promised myself I would have an open mind.

Upon going to the first convocation where we met our Rho Chis and all the girls in our group, I was stunned. I knew rush was big, but there were close to 900 girls there I was nervous but my excitement definitely overpowered that. We learned that 13 sororities would be participating, and Louisiana would do informal recruitment later in the year. It was a lot of fun to see the skits the Rho Chis put on and meet everyone, and after, my whole group went to eat! I knew immediately I would love greek life. I went to bed that night so happy for the next day, Open House, where we would walk to all 13 houses and meet the girls.

I'll tell you all about how my Open House went in just a little bit!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-25-2009, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator

i am intrigued!
Old 08-25-2009, 08:49 PM
GreekChat Member

This should be fun. Good luck with recruitment!

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 08-25-2009, 08:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Good thing you waited. I remember a girl in my pledge class graduated a year early from high school and she was 16 when she pledged. Looking back, that was just too young.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh to clear that up, I only graduated a semester early so I couldn't have done Fall Recruitment a year earlier if I had wanted to. I'm still classified as a freshman. Alright well I'm just so antsy and I finished Open House, so here it is:

First, I thought I’d say the schedule of event, which I didn’t do yet.

Day 1- Convocation
Day 2- Open House
Day 3- First 5 Philanthropy Parties
Day 4- Second 5 Philanthropy Parties
Day 5- Skit Round
Day 6- Pref Night
Day 7- Bid Day

Okay, so on with the story!

I woke up the morning of Open House and was already giddy. I put on the t-shirt that I had been issued to wear along with modest khaki shorts (required) and some Sperry’s. I thought I looked cute and well put together, or at least as much as I possibly could with everyone wearing essentially the same thing.

I went and met my Rho Chi group on campus, and they told us we would be going to Kansas first. I was so excited because a girl I already consider to be my sister and have known for 12 years is in Kansas at another large school. I’ll call her Amy because she comes into this story several times. She told me a girl from her pledge class had transferred to my school, so I should definitely look for her. Walking to that first house was terrifying and exhilarating. They screamed and banged on the door and I was certain their door would break off of its hinges. We were pushed through the line of smiling and chanting girls and I turned around to meet my rusher. She was so sweet and nice, and when I told her about Amy, she actually somewhat knew her through chapters coming together sometimes! After that, we had a great conversation and I left feeling amazing with a huge smile.

We then moved on to the Wyoming house. Amy’s roommate was in Wyoming, so I was excited to go in there also! The girl that got me was okay, but I didn’t think I clicked with her the way I had with the other girl. About four girls came up throughout the process and they all seemed very nice. Although they were good, they had not eclipsed Kansas.

We then moved onto Vermont. (I feel like I’m traveling the country while writing this!) I vaguely knew a few girls in this house. I absolutely adored the girl that rushed me here. The conversation was so easy and it seemed like we talked about everything! We joked and laughed and I had a great time. When I told her I was a government major and wanted to join Student Government, she told me her friend in the chapter was in Student Government and that I could meet her tomorrow. This was my first exposure to dirty rushing and although she said it in passing, I was both extremely excited and deeply unnerved by her comment. Still, I hoped it was something good and was so sad when I had to leave Vermont.

After Vermont came Colorado. This was one of my original favorites so I couldn’t wait to go in here. When I walked through, a girl grabbed by hands and danced my through, which I thought was so cute and fun! Another girl came and grabbed me and I ended up chatting with about 5 different girls, all whom I liked a lot.

Finally we got an hour break from walking through the heat and a chance to eat. During break, I ran into a girl from my high school. I asked her how her rush was going and she said great, and that she already knew she would be in Michigan. When I asked how, she said that over the summer she had been invited down by them to go to a frat party and already knew a bunch of the girls in the house! I didn’t even think that was allowed and really wasn’t sure what to think now. But I had to shake that, because break was over!

Next, came Washington. I had heard from several girls in my group that these girls were just... weird. I didn’t really understand until I walked inside. The girl who grabbed me introduced herself, paused, looked around, and then said “lets go meet some people!” and dragged me away. This continued for nearly all 15 minutes, with me trying to break in and start an actual conversation with her. She then shuffled me outside and I left feeling awkward and very unhappy. They were definitely my last pick so far.

Next came California! These girls did not have a very good rep on campus, but like I said before, I wanted to keep an open mind. Over the summer, someone from California had facebooked me and invited me out to lunch, to which I eagerly accepted. Even if they weren’t known for being very good, I still wanted to give them a chance and meet the girls. When I walked in, the same girl who took me out over the summer got me. I was at ease because I already knew her and we had a good conversation. The one thing I remember most that she said to me was that I would find the perfect house, I wouldn’t be left homeless. For some reason, I can’t get her saying that out of my head so I thought I would include it. I left with a good feeling, because she seemed so nice and I liked what I had seem from them so far.

We then went to Nebraska, which I didn’t know much about. The girl was nice and we seemed to have a good conversation. She complimented me, saying I seemed mature for my age, which I took as a positive. I left very happy with myself.

On to Michigan! This was a BIG house on campus and very well respected. But walking in, some PNMs hugged a bunch of members, saying ‘Good to see you again’ and stuff like that. I guess they too had been invited down for frat parties... I didn’t like this, because it seemed so dirty and unfair. However, my rusher and I got along extremely well. We told funny stories and she was very easy to talk to. Even if they played kind of dirty, I couldn’t help but like them.

After Michigan, we moved further north to Maine. Nothing too exciting, but I thought we had a decent conversation. They would probably rank in the middle of my list.

Utah was next. I talked to a bunch of different girls here, who all seemed very wholesome and nice. These girls were known for being conservative, which I liked a lot. I definitely hoped for an invite back to here.

Our next break came now, and everyone was starting to wind down after a long day in the sun. We talked to some girls from other groups and some interesting rumors sprang up. At the Florida house, the girls don’t say more than 5 words to you. Instead, they have a ‘dance party,’ and just jump and chant for 15 minutes. A girl in my group said this was because Florida had had their bid list since the beginning of summer, and didn’t bother talking to other girls. This girl in my group had left a bad taste in my mouth all day, because she was a sophomore rushing a second time when she dropped out last year. After every house, she would say something like “I’m so glad I got my friend in there, I don’t want to have to talk,” or “Ugh, I hate those girls, I told them I’m going Vermont because I don’t want to be invited back.” This made me so angry, because I was trying so hard and this girl couldn’t care less because she had friends in all the chapters! And my beloved Florida already had a bid list? Although just a rumor, it made me angry.

After break came Indiana. In my dorm, one of my suitemates, who we’ll Morgan, was in Indiana so I was excited to see her here! She had just transferred so she didn’t know the girls very well yet, but she told me about Indiana at her other school and I was already starting to like them a lot. My rusher was nice and we talked about the most random things, but it was a great conversation. Morgan came up to me and hugged me and asked me all about my day. I was so happy to actually know someone and I left feeling great!

We then moved off to Alaska. The girl I talked to was kind of odd. There were several awkward silences and I just didn’t know what to say to her. One of her friends came up and they started talking, and the girl actually used profanity jokingly. Don’t get me wrong, I’m no saint and I joke with my friends too, but I found this weird, because I know this is a definite no-no for recruitment week. I walked out of there hoping I wouldn’t be going back.

Lastly came Florida! Yay! I couldn’t wait to go inside. True to what I had heard, the girl introduced herself, said they were having a dance party, and started spinning me. I noticed that several PNMs were just standing and clapping, but I loved this house and I was going to dance! I jumped around and acted goofy just like all the members, clapping and chanting and doing silly dance moves. I was so thankful that was my last house because wow it was hot in there and I looked a mess! But I had so much fun and I couldn’t help but think that although I didn’t know what their cuts were based on, they had to have liked me!

We all went to fill out our cards, so we were allowed to choose our top 10. The ones I least preferred were California, Alaska, and Washington, in that order. I went home exhausted but so unbelievably excited. Morgan came into my room and we chatted about the day. Then I called Amy, who facebooked the girl from Kansas that rushed me, and told her about me. Amy assured me Florida couldn’t already have a bid list made and she said she was so excited for me. She also told me to not tell anyone my suitemate was in Indiana, because houses might assume I would automatically go for them. Luckily, I hadn’t told anyone, and I definitely wouldn’t the next day, because that is an understandable assumption. I told Amy bye, and passed out at about 9pm!!!

Philanthrophy Round later, check back soon!
Old 08-25-2009, 09:15 PM
GreekChat Member

wannabegreek2, I'm enjoying your story so far - you are an excellent storyteller! Please don't keep us hanging!
Old 08-25-2009, 11:37 PM
GreekChat Member

I love the details in this one!
Old 08-26-2009, 12:36 AM
GreekChat Member

moooooooorrreee.

"If you find the girls that love the you, you love..well then that's just fAbulΦus."
Old 08-26-2009, 09:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to WVU alpha phi
I love your story so far, keep it coming!
Old 08-26-2009, 11:47 AM
GreekChat Member

I hope you get into the "state" you want to be in =]
Old 08-26-2009, 02:59 PM
GreekChat Member

sounds like you had fun! Best of luck

Old 08-26-2009, 03:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Did you say Amy was in a sorority? If so, she should not be talking to you during recruitment should she? I know my niece who is a DDD alum from a different school said she could not talk to my daughter during recruitment week.

Last edited by lawgal; 08-26-2009 at 03:47 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawgal View Post
Did you say Amy was in a sorority? If so, she should not be talking to you during recruitment should she? I know my niece who is a DDD alum from a different school said she could not talk to my daughter during recruitment week.
Silence rules vary widely by school and since her friend, Amy, attended a different school, the OPs Panhel probably has very little or no control over a PNM talking to her personal friends on another campus. Now if Amy and the OP went to the same university, this would most likely be an infraction. Amy should still be "panhellenic" about the situation and not pressure the OP into any one chapter, IMO.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
she said that over the summer she had been invited down by them to go to a frat party and already knew a bunch of the girls in the house! I didn’t even think that was allowed and really wasn’t sure what to think now.
The summer invites to visit are very common at this campus (if it's where I think it is), I'm not sure what the panhell rules are about it, but it is standard among all of the houses. So, either it's allowed, or it's overlooked because everyone is doing it.

BTW, love your story and will enjoy reading more..
Old 08-26-2009, 05:54 PM
GreekChat Member

I want to cheer for Florida, but they sound super sketch lol...dance parties?? What the hell?